Houzz Logo Print
jkenyon80

Formal living room/parlor design layout help!

Jill Wragg
hace 5 años
última modificación:hace 5 años

Hi all! Just purchased a new home and it has two barely used rooms in the front entry. One is a small formal seating room / parlor / entry and a formal dining room. We are going to convert the dining room into an office and add pocket French doors, but I am having trouble with the other space. Would like it to be clean and have an uncluttered look, but warm and welcoming as well. Current furniture is from my previous home which also had one of these semi-unusable rooms as well...would like to not spend a fortune on buying all new stuff..but realize some things may be necessary for the new space. Had a white shag rug in previous space, but unfortunately too large for use here...also just reupholstered the two chairs (massive project for this novice) so would like to use them as well (Trim and tacks haven’t been added yet). Any help and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Comentarios (8)

• PRO
    Shared Treasures
    hace 5 años

Hi Jill,

I love the chairs you had redone! They are fun! I would suggest you definitely need a rug here to pull the space together. Maybe a rug that has both the magenta and the navy color or do something very neutral. I don't usually recommend shag rugs for a space unless it is a bedroom or kids play room. This is a sitting area and even though it wont be used much you still want to have a rug that can stand some traffic better than a shag rug. I would also recommend that you do some curtain panels on the window either functional with some tie backs or just some decorative short panels on either side of the window. I would do a small pattern here to balance out the solid sofa and the bold chairs. If you have some space maybe consider doing a piece of artwork above the navy sofa. Lastly, I would try and put some greenery or branches in the vase you have on the floor. I always believe every room should have some plants artificial or not. Hope this helps!

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

Peacock is setting the stage. And it needs some players.

The paneled wall stands alone and it is soooo white…find a another color and paint the wall …this effect but not black.

What color is the wall above? You could go darker and still have it all work.

Basement staircase · Más información
    Blue sofa, book case…find them a new home/room.

Look for an inexpensive ($349.00) velvet sofa like this one…the larger size and the Chesterfield style will work with the chairs, coffee table and mirror.

Soften the look like this…Nicole Miller rug

Now you have the two Bergere chairs, little tables and coffee table (very ornate, but it can work with the chairs)..

Add a large gold sunburst mirror over the paneling.

Metal Mirror, Metallic Gold · Más información

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 5 años

• Bryan Lovely
    hace 5 años

Part of the reason it's tough is that two-story ceiling, which as far as I'm concerned is appropriate practically nowhere. But you can't really do anything about that. Although painting the wainscoting, the stair wall, and the window wall (up to the height of the wainscoting and the depth of the stairs) I think would create the impression of a "virtual ceiling" and make it feel more like a room.

I don't remember where I read it, but the phrase "furniture spin cycle" comes to mind. Try pulling the chairs and sofa off the walls and making them a more defined group in the center at a more intimate conversational distance from each other. Somebody else suggested a rug, that would probably help a lot too. Also not fond of that lamp — I would prefer an end table with a table lamp next to the sofa.

• houssaon
    hace 5 años

I would put the book case on the wall where the couch is now and put the couch under the window. Across from the couch, the two chairs with one of the end tables between them. Then the other end table at one end of the couch and the floor lamp at the other. Shorten the height of the floor lamp. Love the rugs and size that Beverly suggested. Also, the four pieces of art. Your chairs look great. Love the fabric.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 5 años

this is almost an identical space. I realize the furniture is diff, but perhaps it will give you some ideas on layout

and really look into getting a wall vent to cover that HVAC outlet in the wall! can't believe they left it like that.

• jbtanyderi
    hace 5 años
    Pull everything together with a large carpet that allows legs of furniture to be at least 6”-8” onto it.
  • groveraxle
    hace 5 años

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.