Houzz Logo Print
tamendjgh

Single vs. Double Barn Door- Pros and Cons?

tamendjgh
hace 5 años

Hi- We are building an addition to our house in the Bahamas and have a 6 ft opening into the master bedroom. Can someone offer the pros and cons to having a single Barn Door vs. double set of Barn Doors that we could open in the middle or slide both to one side?

I will add that we will have some light switches on one side; however, that would not be the side that is dominant in a single door choice (meaning, the switches are not on the largest side of the room, should we choose 2 single doors. We would not have the space to open a single door toward the switches for a door of that size).

Thanks for any advice or thoughts!

Comentarios (15)

• Judy Mishkin
    hace 5 años

will you realistically open both doors, or the single large door, all the way? you would be losing decorating opportunities, etc, for the rest of the wall space for a door that won't ever be opened.

• User
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

Barn doors are for rooms that do not need privacy or light and sound control. And that will always be left open. That does not describe a Master Bedroom. You need a real door. Preferably solid, for the added privacy that it provides.

• Kristin S
    hace 5 años

As the current owner of barn doors, I'll second what Sophie says - don't put them on a bedroom. We have them on our playroom so we can shut off the mess if needed, but they're not for sound control (a selling point for us, since we like being able to keep an ear on what's going on in there). I would not put them on a bedroom.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    hace 5 años

For me the biggest cons to any type of barn door would be losing wall space, making the dominant feature of the room a door/pair of doors, the effort and noise involved each time I wanted to open or close the door(s), and most importantly -- having spent a good chunk of my life with a family house in the Caribbean -- the very real problem of rust and corrosion you are going to have with the barn door hardware.

• jjdooley13
    hace 5 años

My thought is barn doors in the Bahamas seem a little out of place, regardless of any other concerns. That locale doesn't say "farm" to me; it says "island."

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    hace 5 años

Sophie hit the nail on the head. Barn doors are great for pantries, playrooms, dens etc. They are NOT good for any room that needs any sort of privacy, noise, or light control like bedrooms or bathrooms. The style is also very out of place for the Bahamas. Go for a regular door.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    hace 5 años

Unless you have a barn, forget the barn doors. As others have said, they are not soundproof, airproof, odorproof or any other proof.

Have you tried opening and closing a barn door (not to mention double barn doors) at 3 AM?

Save yourself before it's too late...

• chisue
    hace 5 años

When will this trend die?

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    hace 5 años

Not until after the last horse has left the barn and then some.

• PRO
    Star-Doors com LLC
    hace 5 años
    Use salon door or pivot doors instead. It’s also trendy.
    Single panel Barn door not comfortable to close from the other side of the wall, but when you have 2 sliding panels you may comfortably close them and open.
  • millworkman
    hace 5 años

"Use salon door or pivot doors instead."

For a master bedroom?

• PRO
    Missi Smith Design Co.
    hace 5 años

We had double barn doors off our foyer into my husband's office. I loved the way they looked, but like others mentioned, they did not block any noise. I heard every phone call from the family room. :(

• 3pinktrees
    hace 5 años

I even have an actual barn and don't want barn doors on it! I say go with something simpler to use and more practical. If you absolutely are going with barn doors, I would have two. Then instead of moving an insanely large door back and forth you could leave one closed all the time and just haul the other one open and closed.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    hace 5 años

The only place I’ve ever seen barn doors that I liked (other than on a barn), is a bike room built out from the back of a garage for bikes. No opening a door into a car, and a nice wide opening.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.