Houzz Logo Print
kelly_cohen94

Back Splash overload need help!

Kelly Cohen
hace 5 años
última modificación:hace 5 años

My kitchen needs your help. New to Houzz so please be patient with me.

I painted the walls a light grey. Now its time to paint the cabinets

off white, kind of light ivory. (see samples below) I've picked out our

counter top sample (also see below) but haven't seen the entire slab so time

will tell. If it looks like the sample we are good. Biggest issue now....back splash.

I'm showing a photo of the choices I ended up with after a long search.

Afraid of a back splash that is too busy, but subway tile might be too boring. Would love to hear your thoughts on the back splash I picked out , or any other suggestions on other back splash ideas. Also going back and fourth on stainless steel vs off white large porcelain sinks. So many pros and cons. Help!

Comentarios (12)

• silviakunst
    hace 5 años
    I agree ...not necessary ,
  • PRO
    The Online Color Consultant
    hace 5 años

Hello Kelly!

If you are sticking with the green paint color in the room I would suggest using one of the tiles that has a very similar color to it so they both relate to each other! I always tell my clients that whatever paint color you have, make sure it relates to something else in the room. It looks like there is one with a similar green to the wall color that you have there. If you have one with the green and some grey that would look beautiful as it would give some contrast. Grey and white make light green sing. Hope this helps!

-Alisa, The Online Color Consultant

• chloebud
    hace 5 años

I agree you could do without any backsplash. If you want one, keep it very simple due to the pattern in the countertop in your photo. I would go with plain subway, such as the ones on top of the counter sample. That way the countertop can pull the main focus.

• Kelly Cohen
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Alisa - Thank you for your comment. I know in the photos that the walls look a little green, but it is a light grey with more blue then green. The color of the kitchen changes hourly depending on the sun. Also the quartz has grey, off white, and a light camel color with the slight sparkle. First I thought subway tile, but I don't want to date the kitchen. Then I saw the back splash with glass and textured glass that match the counter perfectly. just worried it will be too busy.

• kelleg69
    hace 5 años

I like the long subway tile. I think subway is a classic.

• Toni Hamlett
    hace 5 años
    I agree no backsplash or keep it simple. I do have a recommendation - before you buy the countertops get the cabinets done and then look at the sample in the space with the finished cabinets. Regardless to paint color selected your lighting in the space might change the look a little which can impact how the counter looks. Just put counter on hold until cabinets are done. Good luck
  • mark_rachel
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

I surprisingly like the long thin tiles. I think if you used matching grout it would add great texture to your space without completing with your other elements. I like the subway, but only if you can get whole tiles in without cutting.

• tedbixby
    hace 5 años

Oh boy... doing this all backwards. Paint should have been last. But it is what it is so let's get you back on track. You need to go look at slabs before you go any further. You can go and pick out everything else now but what happens if you find that the slab isn't to your expectation? So go look at slabs. Often people will find something they like better, too. Then you can decide on the paint color for the cabinets. I'm a bit concerned that your flooring is the same color as the color of the cabinets you are considering. You have no contrast going on with anything you've picked out which doesn't make it as visually interesting. Is that what you want to achieve? Wait on the backsplash until the counters are in and the cabinets painted. As often what you think you are going to go with changes once you actually see the room put together.

Figure out the sink once you have the slab figured out as that should help make the decision easier.

And don't worry about dating the kitchen. These colors are dating it anyhow as everyone 10 yrs from now is going to know when these grey, white kitchens were done. Do what you love as you will have it longer because you love it, not because what everyone thought was timeless at the time.

• lmwf123
    hace 5 años
    The backsplash area is small enough that you could consider running your counter granite up the wall behind the stove and on the left hand wall. It would be easy to maintain too. But I also think that the subway tile is my favorite of the options presented.
  • sprtphntc7a
    hace 5 años

i would take a paint sample to the stone yard and pick a slab. then from the slab pick your paint color for the cabs. then b/s.

i agree with others that since there is so little b/s, you might not need any and good suggestions above to just run the counter on the walls for b/s.

or use your wall paint color as your guide and pick a b/s with same tones.

biggest quest is: all your colors for everything should either be "warm" or "cool". do not mix them.

what are u doing with the floors?

• PRO
    MARGARITA BRAVO
    hace 5 años

We agree with running the counter on the walls for a backsplash since it doesn't look like you have a very big area to put a backsplash on. It would look very lovely with the countertop as the backsplash. Also we agree that you need to pick all colors in either warm or cool colors.

Congress Park Renovation Project: Kitchen · Más información

Riva Chase Renovation: Kitchen · Más información

St Paul Modern Luxury: Kitchen · Más información

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.