Houzz Logo Print
lady_stark

Landscaping Advice for a California Coastal Cottage

lady_stark
hace 10 años
última modificación:hace 10 años
Huge Corner lot would love any suggestions!!

Comentarios (5)

• PRO
    Jonathan Espalin Landscape Designs
    hace 10 años
    It's definitely a nice lot, with good relationship to the street and a few nice trees with interesting character. I would recommend first to check fence setback codes in your town and see if you can annex any of that space for private activities with a 6' fence. For the entry, I like the existing path, and would recommend adding some low maintenance sculptural plantings and ground covers (Ceanothus or Arctostaphyllos), removiong the overgrown foundation plants right against the house. Would be nice to have some subsidiary paths meandering through the plantings, of something like decomposed granite. A few accents of taller plants like Phormium tenax or Echium candicans could provide some form and color interest. Framing some of the front with an architectural short fence 3' of redwood or a short mortared stone wall to match the great stonework on your house.
    For a simpler, more modern look, could even replace the front path with a series of generous concrete steppers with thyme or pebbles in between.

Sunset has some good free online articles with lawn-free garden ideas: http://www.sunset.com/garden/earth-friendly/lose-the-lawn-low-water-landscaping-00400000041830/

Good luck with your project, looks like it could be a really great set of outdoor spaces.
    -Jonathan Espalin Landscape Designs
    http://www.houzz.com/pro/jonathan-espalin/__public
    lady_stark agradeció a Jonathan Espalin Landscape Designs
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 10 años
    Xeriscape is for you. Low maintenance, low water usage and very popular in CA.
    lady_stark agradeció a decoenthusiaste
  • PRO
    Red Berm
    hace 10 años
    You could possibly go the route of turning your property into a series of native gardens so that you can see color but still have seasons. I see you are in California but not sure what zone otherwise could give suggestions for plants. Also I would suggest some boulders as accents and a night lighting system along your front pathway. If you need a landscape designer I'm in Southern CA so let me know if you are in that area.
    lady_stark agradeció a Red Berm
  • lady_stark
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    We are located in central California. Love your idea of adding boulders. Any plant suggestions would be much appreciated!
  • PRO
    Monica Perrone Landscape Architecture
    hace 9 años
    Your home is beautiful and there is so much potential there. It would be fun to learn about your priorities and preferences. I am located in central California and I often travel many miles from my office. I will go anywhere for the right project and I love what I do. I work on projects of every style, scope and budget. I am relatively new to houzz and I see that your last post was from July of 2013 ... Contact me if you'd like to further consider working together or if I can answer any specific questions.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.