Houzz Logo Print
ausimex

Symmetry with open shelving

Jemma Macias
hace 5 años
Hi all,
I have a design question, I’ve included a pic for visual reference. I have a very small kitchen that I want to lighten up to make it appear bigger. To the right of the window I want to take out the cabinet and add open shelving to create a coffee bar. My problem is I feel like if I do this I need to take out the cabinet to the left of the window and install open shelving there also to keep it symmetrical. How would that look with the corner cabinet though?
My second option is to remove the cabinet and create the coffee bar on the right and install glass panes in the cabinets on the left. I’m just afraid this will leave it looking unbalanced.
Thoughts? Ideas? TIA!
Jemma

Comentarios (12)

• jslazart
    hace 5 años

It's already not symmetrical, so I wouldn't worry about that. The balance is harder to tell. Could you take a picture (or more) from further back?

• Jemma Macias
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Sure, here’s another pic
  • Kathryn P
    hace 5 años

Also, test to see how much it bothers you by taking the door off the cabinet for now. That'll start to give you the feel of open shelving without the commitment.

• Jemma Macias
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Removing the door....That’s a great idea, thank you!

Here’s a pic of the entire kitchen. I’ll be painting cabinets white, replacing counter tops with granite, replacing appliances with stainless steel, adding backsplash and removing microwave to add a stainless steel range.
  • C R
    hace 5 años

A word of caution. Open shelving is not for everyone. It requires a lot of organizing to make sure what is open is organized well to avoid a cluttered look. You could consider doing just shelves on both sides of the window and keep other cabinets so its a combo.

• User
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

Why not just remove the door and use the shelves that are already there?

Can I talk you out of painting? They look like nice cabinets...

• sofikbr
    hace 5 años

This is probably not something you would like to hear, but I think it waste of time and $ to paint this kitchen do counter tops and backsplash. You need to put new cabinets. IKEA cabinets woul be additional 2,000-2,500 but you will have so much more functional kitchen. Also see if you can install taller upper cabinets.

• User
    hace 5 años

I would add new hardware, though...

I like the stainless appliances...I don't like cleaning them :( But they really do brighten up the kitchen by reflecting light.

You might consider undercounter lights. We used led ones (If you have an outlet above your microwave, you can use that) with a remote so we didn't have to install a switch (tiny budget!)....

• Missi (4b IA)
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

following b/c your kitchen layout is similar to mine, except we have the back and side walls of a closet sticking out where your corner cabs are. (and a smaller window)

• Jemma Macias
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Thank you all for your suggestions! I have a lot more to think about. Definitely going to change the hardware and live the idea of making the cabinets taller!
  • abbycat9990
    hace 5 años

We faced a similar dilemma. Initially, we intended only to remove the cabinet over the peninsula.

But, we liked the look, so we kept going:

And now it's tiled, with cherry shelves on either side of the window. It's asymmetrical, but look fine to us.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.