Houzz Logo Print
colleenumbc

Windows.. to grid or not to grid?

Colleen
hace 5 años
We have only tonight to make the final decision and keep going back forth. Do we want window grids or not? What is your opinion? We are paying extra for the black windows and I want them to make an impact with the white house, but with the black shutters, maybe grids aren't needed?

Comentarios (15)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

curious as to why you're doing shutters on this house? normally proper sized shutters are able to close over the window. yours will not, making them too small.

personally I hate my grids and want to switch out my window.

what type of windows are they? casement, picture, sliders, etc. I like the 3 on the casement windows since they resemble the old style metal casement. Your windows would prob benefit from some type.

they make partial grids, at the top of sides. have you thought about that? similar to this one:

here are some black window examples

• Bev
    hace 5 años

I have never seen a house without some type of grid in the windows, even if it's just the sash running across the middle. I believe it would all depend on what look you are going for.

• Colleen
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Thanks both. It seems the trend are solid pane windows with no grids. The last 3-4 new builds we've seen were like that so our builder automatically assumed that's what we wanted.

We had the drawing initially of the windows without shutters and it didn't look good, just way too plain. I've never thought about partial grids, I'll have to look into that further tonight.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 5 años

perhaps instead of shutters you could do a thicker wood trim around the window? or nothing? honestly, doing nothing would look better than doing those shutters.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

those are the metal casement windows I was referring to. w/the 3 lines. this looks like a late 20's spanish style revival home around LA. shutters are appropriate on this home. they actually close over the windows.

• Colleen
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Well we are in FL across from the ocean, so if there is room, working shutters would be great, I just can't tell by the plans yet if there is. I like the look of the shutters though, as I saw the picture without them and we aren't fans of window trim. Each to their own, just trying to figure out the window grille or lack there of. I'm really looking the partial grille/grid.
    In terms of style, we are a bit mixed up, but I'm okay with that, just want to like the look. We wanted a "modern Mediterranean" (if there is such a thing) and its drifted a bit into West Indies.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 5 años

it's a nice looking home. either way I don't think you can go wrong.

• PRO
    Dishington Construction - Jensen Hus
    hace 5 años

Do you ever ask if you should get grids in your car windows??? I rest my case

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 5 años
    The grid question should be based on what the style of the home requires. There are windows with removable grids. Your home looks Primarily Mediterranean to me. So you need some grids. Some windows have grids inserted between double pains. Working shutters might not be possible on all windows because of space limitations. Hurricane shutters in your region would be better investment. Love the black windows with white main body. So play that trim up! Looks like interesting home. Good luck.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 5 años

No shutters and no grids

• PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    hace 5 años

Grids. Otherwise the openings will look like a hole in the design.

• qam999
    hace 5 años

As a gross generality, historical styles use muntins ("grids") and modern styles do not. It seems the house is cognizant of historical styles and is taking a modern turn on them....but with one foot in historyland. So you truly can go either way, depending on what you want to play up. Check scale....all windows need to use a consistent plan if you choose muntins.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    hace 5 años
    You have gone very traditional with the garage doors, trellis, and cornice. The windows are currently on the other end of the spectrum- they need to be simulated divided light of some type to make sense with the rest of the program. Or the other details need to be similarly simplified.
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    hace 5 años

Please no grids! hate them. look as prison.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.