Houzz Logo Print
rjwrenn8

Help me bring my small dining area to life!

Janine
hace 5 años
How do I add character to my small dining area and make it feel bigger? The ceiling slopes from 10” to 8” in this room, but is 10” throughout the adjacent living area. I think this makes the dining area feel small. Our walls are SW Repose Grey and trim is SW Alabaster. I don’t remember the color of the door, but I don’t like it very much. We have a flush mount on the ceiling that doesn’t seem to create very much light. We would also like to keep the blinds.

Comentarios (24)

• PRO
    Betty Wasserman Art & Interiors
    hace 5 años

There are a lot of things you can do to help bring life to your dining room. Here are just a few ideas from our design portfolio. You could try adding artwork, window treatments, and a chandelier.

Chelsea Loft: Dining Room · Más información

Daniels Lane · Más información

Simply High Line: Living Room · Más información

• Porter Edun
    hace 5 años

Since the ceiling is sloping you might look for a chandelier on a chain and read up on it if you like it so you know it work well on a slope as most do.

A larger piece of art or similar on the long wall and some nice soft simple curtains left and right would soften the room even if never closed.

The size of your chandelier is based on the size of your table for the most part so you would need to know the length of it and the width to determine the size if you want to go that direction. Typically, you'd want it about 32" to 34" above the table top from the bottom of the fixture so be sure people are selling enough chain/electrical wire for this. Nothing worse than a chandelier too high so you can do some research if you choose this route.

I feel the table is not centered in the room, but it may be the photo and how it was taken?

Not certain the decor in the space adjacent, but a chandelier that isn't obstructing to the window (that is more or less see thru) would look nice. Just a couple of visuals for you. The second chandelier in the photo I have hanging a bit too high...it's for visuals though.

Good luck!

• Porter Edun
    hace 5 años

Forgot to mention, you can certainly keep the blinds for privacy and add curtain panels left and right partially on the wall and a bit over the edges of the window for softness by hanging the rod about 4" above the window frame (as it looks fairly short between the window frame and the ceiling) as I like 6" so maybe 4" in your case. You just don't want it immediately above the window frame so 4" min.

• S D
    hace 5 años
    Add crown moulding
  • Lisa D
    hace 5 años
    I would put a big square mirror on the empty wall - it would bring in more light from the window. Some soft, long curtains framing that window would be nice.
  • Darla Meredith
    hace 5 años

I like the view outside your window. Some soft curtains to frame the window, a pretty light fixture that suits your style and a reflective mirror and or a substantial piece of colorful art. Also a pretty centerpiece might add some life. Since you don't seem to have room for a buffet, you can add an open shelf with colorful pieces. Pick your favorite thing and go from there.

• Janine
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Thanks for all of the great feedback! I’m definitely going to add curtains and begin to look for a mirror or artwork for the bare wall. If we didn’t have carpet in our living room, I would add a rug. I also plan to add a chandelier that compliments our table and style. I see now how that will help take the focus off the sloped ceiling. Having a couple floating shelves with decor pieces is an interesting idea too!
  • Jan
    hace 5 años
    Agree with comments except for mirror. Artwork would add a little color and interest. Also have you tried moving the chairs, I’m not sure that the side by side look works. Of course a nice centerpiece is a must.
    You have beautiful floors probably a rug is not necessary since it would need to cover to much of it.
  • J Kay
    hace 5 años
    I would add curtains. Set the table or minimum do a runner and center piece. Replace the flush mount with a chandelier for better lighting and drama. Also get some art on one of the walls.
  • J Kay
    hace 5 años
    Also! When hanging the curtains make sure to put the rod well above the window helping to visually lengthen the wall.
  • crystalpea
    hace 5 años

Not knowing what any of the rest of your space looks like I'd suggest a nice chandelier, artwork on the wall across from the door, and maybe a wood, wallpaper, or paint accent on the window wall.

Quick examples to give you idea of looks, pulled random artwork and chandelier:

• Janine
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    I had not thought about rearranging the chairs. Our table actually seats 6, but I moved two chairs to another room since we don’t use them unless we have company. I like the suggestion to add a centerpiece. I also appreciate the visuals. I can now picture what fixture would look best in the space. Love the blue accent wall idea! Would you still do an accent wall if there were curtains? If I add curtains in here, I probably should add them to the two large windows on either side of our fireplace in the adjacent living room. Here’s a more zoomed out view of the space; it’s open concept with black granite and white cabinets in the kitchen and two pendants over the island.
  • Porter Edun
    hace 5 años

Less is more so I'd focus on a chandelier first and some nice simplistic curtains to follow. As I mentioned above more covering the a bit of the wall and less of the window as you want to close the blinds and the curtain panels are for warming the room vs. function and it will also give the look the window is a tad larger as well.

After I would then select a piece of art so you can work with your curtains what ever you choose. I think a mirror is a nice option for the space, but it reflects the door on the opposite wall and not the outdoors is my thought so I think the best option is a piece of art.

It doesn't appear the area is large enough for an area rug as you want to push back from the chair and still have the chair on the area rug so it doesn't catch and become a pain so to speak every time you get up from the table. It would as it appears to get the size as well you would need that it would extend in to the walk between the kitchen and the eating space.

• Porter Edun
    hace 5 años

I'm going to ask again...is it me or is the table not centered in the room? Sorry, maybe getting a bit OCD on you, but I really want to reach in and move it a pinch toward the door :)

• silviakunst
    hace 5 años
    Is that your front door in the dining room ? In order to make the room look bigger you can use the power of mirrors or get a smaller table ..definitely use drapes on both sides ...a nice chandelier...you need light lots of small lights that reflect in the mirror to light that space up flowers on the table .
  • Porter Edun
    hace 5 años

Keep it fresh and simple. I personally don't like patterned drapery as ppl grow tired of it. However, there is a lot out there that is not too busy and if you tire in a couple of years so be it. Here is something that is fresh.. I had a hard time due to the table or photo and not being centered :) It's a rough example as I tossed the wall art up that I found that might be best, but not bold, but didn't take the time to place it correctly on the wall as I'm running out.

• decoenthusiaste
    hace 5 años

I'm presuming that your only door to the patio is that one in the dining space. Since a rug will need to be no less than 24" larger than the table top, and shouldn't run into baseboards or block door swing into the room, I'm doubting you can use a rug here. To visually enlarge the room, use drapes that match the wall color and hang them high and wide. Unlikely that you can do anything to center the table due to the door. Is the space by the fridge too tight to use a bench or settee on that wall and chairs all around?

Dining Room · Más información

Ojai Residence · Más información

• PRO
    Five Star Moulding Company
    hace 5 años
    Try Adding a full wall wainscoting.
  • Darla Meredith
    hace 5 años

You've received a lot of good comments. I'm not really a fan of accent walls but that blue is beautiful. Yes the curtains to soften the space and a light fixture to compliment the ones you have in the kitchen. I see the point about the mirror...colorful artwork would be nice. Although the space is tight, if you can, move the table over a smidge to our left. I'm a bit OCD on that front too. I see above how the door was painted blue...very nice crystalpea. Post some pics of your progress!

• Janine
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Thanks everyone!! All of this feedback has been very helpful! I honestly hadn’t looked at the positioning of our table that closely, but it is possible that it is not centered correctly. That can easily be adjusted :) for who asked, that is the door to our back patio. I’m going to get started with some curtains and a centerpiece, and then pick out a chandelier. I’ll post again once I’ve made progress! Thanks again!!
  • Irene Morresey
    hace 5 años
    Make a great banquette seating area, I would go with a tulip table
  • josephene_gw
    hace 5 años

Can you put a window seat under the window?

• groveraxle
    hace 5 años

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.