Houzz Logo Print
webuser_88116341183285448028

Kitchen Counter Conundrum

Gena Smith
hace 5 años

I just bought a house and I knew when I bought it that I wasn't going to be able to live long with the black ceramic tile counters against honey oak cabinets. But now I am in a delimma on what color to install. I am hoping to install granite or quartz, though one of my friends says to go granite, since it is timeless and she thinks quartz will go out of style. So I'm at a loss there too.

The honey oak cabinets are staying cause my budget won't allow a change of everything. I don't mind the oak color so long as the counter tops get changed.

The kitchen has large grayish ceramic tiles for flooring, but the edge of the bar hangs over into the living room with dark wood floors. The walls of surrounding rooms are painted a grayish-blue. The kichen gets a fair amount of natural light during the day, but gets dark in evening/night - at the time when you would generally spend time in the kitchen. I attached a photo of both times/lightings.

I am definitely going for something lighter to brighten the space in the evening. I'm worried a gray granite would make the room look too gray and a white might be too drastic, unless maybe a really light gray with white stone? I also thought of a sandy or light gold color. What are opinions of a hint of black veins to pull in the appliance color?

The backsplash will also need updating to match, so welcoming opinions/picture ideas there too.

Thanks for your help!

Comentarios (25)

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    hace 5 años

Quartz is going nowhere, but granite is definitely not being used much in high end kitchens. Having said this, I would not spend the money for quartz in this kitchen. It's a very dated kitchen and it's just putting lipstick on a pig. You may well damage those cabinets removing all that tile, anyway.

Make a long term plan of what you want in this kitchen. I would want the floor from the rest of the house to continue into it. I would want a new design. I would want new cabinets and appliances. Therefore, I would live with it and save until I could afford to do with it what I want.

If you just can't live with the countertops, go with something inexpensive, but remember, light countertop will just emphasize those blacks appliances and make them jump out and look oh so wrong.

• mjlb
    hace 5 años

Harsh, but agree that black appliances will 'pop' without black countertop and backsplash. Could appliances be changed? I think that would run you $3000-$5000.

• tfitz1006
    hace 5 años

I actually don't hate those cabinets but I'd think about new appliances with a counter depth refrig and also a new floor as mentioned. Then I'd live with the layout for a while and see how it works.

• pricklypearcactus
    hace 5 años

Can you change the appliances? I think white or near white countertops (either granite or quartz) would look fantastic with your wood cabinets and white trim. Actually, are you sure the cabinets are oak? It's difficult to tell with the pictures, but they don't seem to have the oak grain I would expect.

• Molly
    hace 5 años

Your cabinets look like natural cherry to me (I have a similar color). What about using Taj Mahal quartzite?

Gena Smith agradeció a Molly
  • dan1888
    hace 5 años

And you'll like better lighting without shadows over your work.

• Stephanie Chatel
    hace 5 años

Bring home some samples....go with what you love not with what others are doing. Your cabinets are fine, some new hardware when you change the tops might be nice too.

• Mrs. Gopher #BringBackSophie
    hace 5 años

Quartz may go "somewhere" and by that I mean less people will be buying it. Cambria won the Tarriff trial thing so you can expect to pay about 200-500% increase in Quartz soon.

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    hace 5 años

"Quartz is going nowhere, but granite is definitely not being used much in high end kitchens."

I am a fabricator. I believe the preceding statement to be inaccurate, at least in some markets. Well over 1/2 my business is high end residential and we still do more granite than quartz by a significant margin. The granites tend to be more expensive stones with movement and color that is simply unmatched by any quartz product. It is relatively common for some parts of a high end home to be quartz but in my region kitchens and bars are still typically natural stone.

Regarding the Cambria move to add tariffs to imported quartz; that tariff applies only to Chinese products. There are several imported brands that are not impacted by the tariff so the result will be a loss of market share for the newly more expensive Chinese brands. Other non-Chinese OEM's will readily take the market share.

• friedajune
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

@Molly - from the OP, it appears she has budget constraints. You didn't mention in your suggestion of Taj Mahal quartzite how expensive it is. It is very likely out of the OP's budget. Furthermore, such a dramatic expensive counter does not match with the rest of the OP's kitchen. It would not be the best decision to choose a counter just because it is a showstopper. You have to take the entire kitchen, and home, into account as to whether it would be an appropriate fit.

I also agree with OldRyder that Anglophilia is incorrect. Anglophilia is a frequent poster on this fourm, and I respect her taste and ability. However, she has made well known her bias toward man-made counter materials, and against granite. That doesn't make it true for everyone else. There are also so many different granite varieties, that you can't make a sweeping statement about them.

Gena Smith agradeció a friedajune
  • RNmomof2 zone 5
    hace 5 años

Ok. lets get real here. This house does not appear to be a high end home so why are we getting crazy with her? What do the other houses in your area have for their countertops? Is Formica completely out of the question? Nice, cheap and practical, comes in many colors to go with the existing items. Also if you want to do a big update or upgrade later , you do not feel like that was $$ thrown away.

I do not see anything wrong with the ceramic tile floor. If you have pets or kids I would not want hardwood in my kitchen. We have new hardwood in most of our main floor and I feel like I have to baby it where water drips, spills, pet accidents, etc go. Most of us live in our homes, they are not published in House Beautiful.

My only off topic comment is that I do not think the wall color in the kitchen is doing you any favors. The cool grey is bringing out the orangy wood tone in the cabinets. I have stained woodwork and have had paint colors in the past that really brought that tone out and then I have had colors that make the wood look really nice. Something to think about when you repaint.

I don't know your age or if this is a first house, but my daughters have just recently bought their first houses. Don't listen to the people telling you everything is wrong and start all over. They don't remember what it is like. Enjoy making changes as you can and have fun!

Gena Smith agradeció a RNmomof2 zone 5
  • Shasta
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

A granite with not too much movement that has greys and blacks would be pretty with a simple, light backsplash. Here's Alaska White.

Taj Mahal would be beautiful. Taking all the dark counters and backsplash out will really lighten it up. You may want to consider a shorter backsplash on the counters next to the pantry. They look a little funny with the full splash. The granite/quartzite would be the focus.

• reesepbuttercup SLC, Utah 6b
    hace 5 años

I agree that with your black appliances you should probably stay with a dark countertop otherwise the appliances will really stand out. Uba Tuba granite while common, is actually very pretty. With new solid surface countertops you could undermount your sink which will be a big improvement as well.

I also agree that the wall color and grey tile don't go best with the Warm wood tone. It looks like that paint might be throughout be house so maybe that's not so easy to change. You could also paint your cabinets, but again, the dark appliances.

Another option might just be a darker laminate. I think there's one that looks like soapstone. Maybe that would be the most economical way to get rid of the tile until there's more money available for a major kitchen overhaul.

• mjlb
    hace 5 años

Maybe these will help to visualize black appliances, oak cabinets, and various counters and backsplash:

Gena Smith agradeció a mjlb
  • PRO
    User
    hace 5 años

No worries Gena, we will solve this dilemma very soon! A lot of these posts are harsh and inaccurate for our area, plus some are not considering your budget which has already been pointed out by previous postings. Looking forward to working with you!

• Molly
    hace 5 años
    The suggestions on this thread are just that, only suggestions. Only the OP knows her budget and personal taste. Good luck with your update Gena!
  • houssaon
    hace 5 años

You could also take a door with you when you look. I'd keep the back splash simple with subway tile.

Gena Smith agradeció a houssaon
  • housegal200
    hace 5 años

You're showing your kitchen and dining space without furnishings, which will change the whole visual scheme. The gray walls seem gloomy at night since you have dark floors, which don't harmonize well with the gray walls, at least on my computer screen. And the dark countertops. Would you consider painting the walls a creamy white that works with your golden cabinets then just add a little gray in your backsplash?

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/11-terrific-paint-color-matches-for-wood-details-stsetivw-vs~9025200

Environmentally Friendly · Más información

Or wait until your dining furniture, drapes, and art are moved in so you can reassess the countertops. Here are some kitchens dark counters and some with light counters and golden cabinets.

Chou Residence · Más información

SODA Apartments · Más información

Contemporary Kitchen · Más información

Gena Smith agradeció a housegal200
  • User
    hace 5 años

"Lipstick on a pig". Well at least the pig will look quite nice, right?

And, again, why I won't post here.

(I did a kitchen countertop in tile. Wood look tile (horrors). In a lighter shade that the wood look tile floor. And I have black appliances. I swear you cannot see the dirt on my counters. They are exceptionally easy to care for. And I LOVE my tiny little galley kitchen (which has zero natural light). Ignore the rudeness here. They obviously have so little to do and are quite miserable).

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    hace 5 años

Keeping in mind that my laptop does not show colors very accurately:

I like your floors, they are a good combo with the cabinets and a little on the warm side with the swirls of neutral colors. So you want counters that harmonize with both the floor and the cabs.

I agree that the paint is too cool for the cabs and floor. If you want to stay with blue, look for a warmer toned blue; but I also think that a soft creamy white, or tending toward a light beige, even maybe a warm greige, would be better.

I would strongly favor a light, quiet (not a lot of swirls and speckles) counter. I have granite myself, which was a choice based on budget (it was cheaper!) and looks, but I don't have the idea that a lot of people have that granite is necessarily "higher end". The important thing is, does it look right with the rest of the kitchen (and house)? There are many advantages to quartz and in many kitchens quartz is the best look. I think that may be so for your kitchen also! I think a somewhat creamier white would be good, maybe one with quiet tan/gray veining to echo the floor colors.

A compromise (and usually economical) choice might be honed steel gray granite-- if you really want to stay with a darker counter. Search the kitchen forum for pictures showing some kitchens that used it. It would be not that dark, would emphasize the gray in the floor, and would work with the backsplash and appliances.

Don't worry about matching the appliances. I don't agree that they will be "sore thumbs" if you go with a light counter -- how many times have we seen beautiful black/white/wood combos in kitchens? A lot. In this case, it will the be appliances, backsplash and hardware that bring the black accents instead of the counter. Plus, you never know when the refrigerator will bite the dust, in which case you can switch to SS or white if you wish. (also, appliances can be reface in another color if needed!)

• blubird
    hace 5 años

I’m going to suggest, as another poster already did, to live in the house for a while to see what other changes you might want to make to the kitchen. Right now it seems functional and clean so you certainly can use it while you decide what you can afford and what needs to change.

• Val B
    hace 5 años
    Hi! Not a designer, but I think your floors and cabinets are nice and you've been given a good example of a light granite and some nice pictures of more medium tones. I'd go light if you're planning to replace your appliances with stainless as the go, otherwise I'd go with a more medium color so the black appliances don't stick out. In either case, I would reprint the walls. That color gray is too cool for the cabinets and floors.
  • lindastein
    hace 5 años

following...

• cpartist
    hace 5 años

Gina your cabinets and your appliances are fine. Their are lots of pretty light granites that will be in budget and they'll work fine even with black appliances.

However as mentioned before, the bigger problem is the blue/gray of the walls doesn't work well with your floor and it's the complement of orange. What that means is that it's making your cabinets feel even more orange. What happens is the when you put the complement next to a color, it makes both colors appear even more intense.

Warming that gray up to more of a greige color if you like grays would help those cabinets not feel so orange and will help with whatever color you choose for the counters.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.