Houzz Logo Print
wgt123

Ideas for a fire surround

kwg kwg
hace 5 años
última modificación:hace 5 años

Hello

We're renovating our recently bought house and we would like to change this fire surround which is currently made of plastic material ( painted pink ) and has artificial tiles around it too. The pink wall colour will also be changed to white and flooring will also be changed.

Does anyone have any good ideas of what to do with this?

Thanks for your help.

Comentarios (11)

• PRO
    Edward Pett Design
    hace 5 años

Hi, I'd suggest simply painting the fire surround a pale grey colour as this will create a nice contrast between the white walls and give it a fresh look. The brickwork could them be painted white too. However, you could source some interesting tiles to apply over the top or replace to help make the fireplace a feature in the room. Tiles could be pattered; picking out a variety colours that you could then use in artwork and soft furnishings etc.Hope this helps. Kindest Regards, Ed

• kwg kwg
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Thanks Ed, I was originally thinking of ripping the whole thing out and replacing it with something but I don't know what or what style. I hadn't thought about repainting it or replacing the tiles. Should I just leave the fireplace area as a 'hole' or buy a fireplace to make a feature out of it? If it is just left as a hole with no fireplace what do I do with the 'hole'? Or just leave it?

• honeypoppet
    hace 5 años

I always think that it's a good idea to have a fireplace as a feature in a living room (it quite often helps in view of resale too). I've done a couple of quick mockups using a split-face tile, with different wall colours.

• User
    hace 5 años
    The room looks to have Victorian proportions? Are you planning a wholesale change or just painting and flooring? What kind of look are you going for in the house? Contemporary, traditional? A reclaimed or reproduction fireplace would look lovely, and be my choice, but if you're going for a sleeker look older houses can also work really well with modern designs.
  • kwg kwg
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

Thanks honeypoppet and shjuly71 for your ideas! I'm planning on stripping off the pink painted wall paper, skim and then paint ceiling and walls white for the time being. I'll be having light oak colour floors. I'm currently having a rear extension built which will have a modern look but planning to keep the living room and hallway traditional as it has the original covings, ceilings etc. Here is a full picture of the room.

shjuly71 - the traditional style you posted does look very nice and has so much character but sleek and modern also looks nice too!

• PRO
    Edward Pett Design
    hace 5 años
    I agree with all the comments above. I always believe that if you have got that feature in your home you need to perverse it. If your going to replace it I would be tempted to go with a traditional fire surround to complement the surroundings. Fire places can create a stunning feature in any room.
    kwg kwg agradeció a Edward Pett Design
  • PRO
    Edward Pett Design
    hace 5 años
    It’s a stunning space!
    kwg kwg agradeció a Edward Pett Design
  • E D
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

Yes, great space. Great proportions.

It's not always best to keep things traditional but the way your room is, I feel it would be a shame not think, partly, in a more traditional way.

Since your fireplace is not original and made of plastic, I would definitely get rid of it and the fake bricks.

I would be tempted to go for a reclaimed fireplace in keeping with your property's period and design. New, reproduction fireplaces can look pastiche.

Give yourself enough time to research and deliberate before you make any decisions would be my advice.

Do you have the opportunity to see if houses in the area still have the original fireplaces and what style they are?

btw, I'm no expert, but to me your house looks more Edwardian than Victorian. Is the ceiling moulding original? Either way it looks good.

• Emily
    hace 5 años
    I saw your post yesterday and was hoping someone would say they liked your room in this pink colour so I could jump in and say me too. But since no one did I’ll have to say myself that I’m very surprised to love this pink in your fab room! I’m sure the room will look great though whatever you do with it but I do hope it still has a fireplace afterwards. :)
  • E D
    hace 5 años

Whatever you do to it, don't "perverse" it! :-)

Sorry @Edward Pett Design, I couldn't resist...

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.