Houzz Logo Print
terri_bateman

Mildew or mealy bugs?

hace 5 años

Took my succulents down from the windowsill to water them today and they are covered in white stuff! White blobs, White powder. looked it up and it could be mealy bugs or mildew. Which one is it? My eyes aren’t what they used to be so I can’t swe them very closely. Here are a few pictures. Would love any advice. Thanks!

Comentarios (8)

• hace 5 años

Only one photo seems to have posted. Here is another

• hace 5 años

And one more

• hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

I don't think that is powdery mildew...that is usually fine powder-like coating. I think I see some webs too, and the big blobs - IMO, it is most likely mealy bugs. That is quite big infestation. I would immediately use some rubbing alcohol - it will actually 'melt' the white stuff, that is only protecting the bugs. If you look thru magnifying glass, all you see left will be small, orangey bugs. They will die on direct contact with rubbing alcohol. Test it to confirm: use a q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol and swipe over any of the blobs, lets say on the flower stalk - see what happens...

• hace 5 años

Bugs, not mildew. Put them under running water to remove most of them, or immerse the whole thing in a bucket of water for 10 minutes. The critters should float to the top. If there are any stragglers, go after them with the Q-tip and alcohol.

• PRO
    hace 5 años

I second that (mealybugs). Are you feeding your succulents any nitrogen? That can make these bugs take off like rockets.

• hace 5 años

I like to spray on a 50/50 mix of rubbing alcohol and water. Look at the other plants in your collection to see if you have further problems.

• hace 5 años

100% that's Mealy Bug.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.