Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_smith6287

Keep or remove fiberboard walls?

Jennifer Smith
hace 5 años
Hello,
We have lived in our 1915 bungalow for about 15 years and are doing some renovating. We just completely gutted the kitchen and once it is done we will move on to the living room and dining room. I have been looking at these walls and thinking about removing them and sheet rocking. I did a little research... they are not original to the home as the company that made them (Nu-Wood) was not established until the 20's. We suspect a 50's or 60's remodel. I like the ceiling, but the walls feel like too much. I would love to do a gallery wall, but it feels like it would look busy and cluttered. Would love to hear thoughts on this.

Comentarios (8)

• colonialgp
    hace 5 años

Do you know if the original plaster is intact underneath? It would be wonderful if you could restore the walls to their original state. I suspect the dropped ceiling was put in at the same time to help with heating costs. If you are removing the walls, remove that ceiling too. Embrace that bungalow - they don't make them like they used to!

• PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    hace 5 años

Colonialgp is right that it would be fab if original plaster is still there, so worth exploring!

• PRO
    Bourke Construction Inc.
    hace 5 años

If you wish u can drywall over existing or remove and insulate wall then install new drywall,note very possible 50-60s drywal has asbestos in it.

• Jennifer Smith
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Thanks to all for the confirmation! Now to convince hubby that this needs to be the next project! We will definitely look for plaster underneath.
  • colonialgp
    hace 5 años

Plaster and lath walls are considered fire resistant. Sorry I have no reference for that, something I remembered.

• Jennifer Smith
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Peeked in a hole in the wall... it is wood planks underneath. So we are looking at sheetrocking.
  • User
    hace 5 años

Test for asbestos FIRST! Lead paint is a definite. Know what needs to happen to remediate each.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.