Houzz Logo Print
luluwi33

Kitchen windows - to use blinds or to use curtains?

Lauren W
hace 5 años

Hi there,

I am a first-time homeowner, in a brand new house, and boy do I need help! I've never had to make so many decisions in my life! The latest, and arguably most urgent, decision that I am struggling with is whether I should or should not use blinds or curtains in my kitchen windows pictured below. (Please ignore my husband pictured!) I love these windows and they show our entire backyard and really make a statement when you enter our home, so I really want to nail this!

Any and all suggestions are welcome! I am here to learn! :)

Comentarios (15)

• arcy_gw
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

The picture does not show the right edge of the windows. The left has no where for a stack of curtains to be. I am not a fan of blinds for a few reasons but blinds/shutters/shades seem to be your best options. Perhaps roman shades would add a splash of color/warmth while not messing with your view too much? Whatever you do don't cover/mess with the half round. It is designed to be as is!!!

Lauren W agradeció a arcy_gw
  • Lauren W
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Thanks arcy_gw! Definitely will not touch the half-round, I absolutely love that window! Sorry about the picture angle! Great point about not having room on the left hand side for curtains! I'll certainly take a look at Roman shades!

• User
    hace 5 años

I have curtains for they're more easily taken down and washed than blinds. And the kitchen can get "greasy".

Lauren W agradeció a User
  • PRO
    Reviving Design
    hace 5 años

I like Designer Drains idea of top down bottom up blinds. They would look great and can choose from many fabrics to customize your space.

You can also install white wood or faux blinds for simplicity. (leaving the arch bare). This way, you can raise them for a full view or open the slots and adjust when needed for sunlight or privacy. They are also easy to clean if you are concerned with maintenance.

If colour or pattern is more your style, have custom roman shades made for the windows. As you don't seem to have the space for drapery panels.

Novenstein · Más información

Rustic Kitchen · Más información

Lauren W agradeció a Reviving Design
  • Lauren W
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Thanks Reviving Design! I think my space needs some color at this point, as of right now my space is turning into a sea of grey and white (Grey and white marble backsplash, grey granite, grey and white cabinets, etc.). Roman blinds seem like a good option to get an option of color and have the option for privacy or sun coverage. What are your thoughts on only doing the two outside windows instead of all 4? I guess I just love how open and airy an untouched window feels.

• PRO
    Reviving Design
    hace 5 años

Lauren, I would definately keep it consistant and cover all four windows. Choose a roman style that will fold back to allow more glass space.

• Lauren W
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

I'll take your advice! Thank you!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 5 años

Lovely. Good choice on the chandelier.

I also do think the bottom up and top down shades would be best, however, don't forget the color what could be added by the view of the garden when that is installed.

BTW the rug under the table is way too small. You need at least 2ft. beyond the edge of the chairs. You could add color there.

Lauren W agradeció a BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Lauren W
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Hi Bev! Thanks, I really fell in love with it!

I love the edit of the garden/lawn! (Can't wait until that grows in!) And the decor on the table. That is certainly true that those elements will bring the space the color it so desperately needs.

I'll have to really take a look at the options between Roman Shades and bottom up/top down shades. I have never had any need for window treatments until now, so I have a lot to learn!

Oh yes, that is just a temporary rug, an 8x10 should be making it's way in the mail tomorrow! Of course, I went with a light grey one so maybe I should think of exchanging for something with some color.

Appreciate the input!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 5 años

Lauren, It's a shame to hide that lovely view. I have a great view out my kitchen and am fortunate that because I have a pond behind the house, I have little problem with privacy, so I have solar shades in bronze. My window frames are bronze so this works well for me.

This is a bronze solar shade that allows the view and cuts the glare.

These Silhouettes add texture and can roll up to a minimum size & still offer privacy..

Lauren W agradeció a BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Lauren W
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Beverly, I never even thought of those types of blinds. Here in Upstate New York we definitely do not get a ton of sunlight, so those definitely aren't as common here. I'll definitely have to run to an actual store that has these options of blinds and explore the options!

Love the bronze window frames, those are really eye-catching!

• smileythecat
    hace 5 años

No place to stack drapes, go with top down bottom up blinds.

• Judy Mishkin
    hace 5 años
    1. which direction do these windows face? you need to temper afternoon summer sun if they face west. you need to temper daytime sun in winter if they face south.

2. are more houses being built closer? you'll want some privacy after dark, eventually, if they are. window treatments can be pricey, so plan ahead.

• Lauren W
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Ninigret - he windows face West, and the afternoon sun right now is incredibly strong! So ordering these blinds soon is a must!

Luckily, our closest neighbors are roughly an acre away in the back, and we have a walk out basement and our neighbors in the back do not, so privacy is not super crucial due to those factors.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.