Houzz Logo Print
kecoffman

Front door pizazz needed

kecoffman
hace 5 años
I’d love to jazz up the exterior of our home and would like to start with the front door color. Please, advice is needed on the color. And... do I have to paint the single pair of shutters the same color??

Comentarios (14)

• Denita
    hace 5 años

Can you show the front door? I love your home. The only issue I see is the screen door and I would remove that so your front door shows. What color is it now?

• decoenthusiaste
    hace 5 años

Remove the screen door so we can see, and while you're at it, move the urns off the steps and onto the porch where they aren't a tripping hazard. I broke a leg in just that scenario.

• kecoffman
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    The front door is currently black. While the weather is nice, I’m going to leave the screen in place so that I can enjoy the fresh air. Unfortunately, I had to move the urns to where they currently are as they were getting drowned by overflowing gutters during heavy rains.
  • njay
    hace 5 años
    Sometimes the best route is a subtle route. The last thing I would do would be to jazz up the front door. Install a full glass screen door if you are in habit of leaving the front door open. And paint the door itself one of the background colors of the stone.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 5 años

A gray blue would look great with your stone. This stone reminded me of yours.

Exterior | trellis · Más información

Pacific Palisades Retreat · Más información
    Houzz reversed the photos, but the other photo is a more blue green which might also work. Blue if stone presents itself more gray and if the stone is more sand tones, use a green/blue tone.

• kecoffman
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Flo Mangan - I like this idea, thanks. Do you think the shutters have to match the door color?
  • PRO
    Cabinet City
    hace 5 años

You're lucky that your house is traditional but retains excellent proportions from the early 20th C. (?)

One thing you might consider is how to light up the entrance at night, perhaps by use of low voltage lights that are hidden in the recesses of the entrance, so that the entryway, from bottom to top (second floor) is illuminated subtly. (not by only the lantern)

Also as far as a paint color for the shutters, why not take the very darkest stone and custom match it? Valspar "Garden Walk" was suggested by the darkest stone. "Night View" by Valspar is a dark blue/gray hue. Here are some schemes they suggested:

http://m.valsparpaint.com/color-detail.php?id=1800&g=1016

• acm
    hace 5 años

Shutters do not have to match.

If you want pizzaz, I'd go with a cranberry red, or maybe a logan green. Otherwise the black is very stately.

• liz_fb
    hace 5 años

I love the black door. I think planting red Japanese maples something like this,

on either side of the door would give your entry a pop!

• gigirambles
    hace 5 años

What a lovely home! I don't know what to advise as to the color of the door - but no, the shutters don't need to match the colors should coordinate though. Some colorful plants in those urns would also help with the pizzazz factor.

• larkspurproject
    hace 5 años

I think the black looks great. I agree with colorful landscaping and a full view clear storm door that would show off the entry door. Beautiful home-

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 5 años

Guess it depends on what you want. You said pizzaz and black is classic for sure, and I always like black, but if you want to "jazz" it up, pick a pretty wood and do your trim in a blue/gray color.

• cpaul1
    hace 5 años

I would stick with the black color, I would just upgrade the door so that it looks more stately and matches with the grandeur of the house. I would also add a decorative iron railing on that front porch to help bring it "out" some.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.