Houzz Logo Print
dionne_hart

Empty Nester 101 Help determine if I will ever lead a glamourous life.

Dionne
hace 5 años
última modificación:hace 5 años

Hello problem solvers/public therapy group,

I waited a year after my son moved across the country to convert his room into a glam room. I dreamed of dressing up, learning to contour like a Kardashian, and maybe going out on a date. I found the perfect seating for my room, a Ethan Allen x Disney chair and a half. I was so excited when my chair arrived. My son happened to be visiting so he welcomed the movers. He called me at work to tell me that my perfect chair wouldn't fit. I wondered did he sabotage it; is he kidding; is the universe telling me something; or is physics the issue. The deliveryman told me that my doorway w/door removed was 0.5 inches too small. He suggested that I remove the trim. I hired a handyman who removed the trim on one side only because he concluded the doorway was 1 inch too small so removing both sides was futile. I contacted my salesperson but she'd never encountered this problem. The website says the chair is 50" w x 30" d and the doorway is apparently narrow at 30". Should I convert the room to a nursery and wait to knit booties while watching Lifetime and give up my dream of living a glamourous kid free life? Or should I attempt to hire professional movers who have trade tricks? Eagerly waiting for a response.

Comentarios (37)

• shirlpp
    hace 5 años

I would not give up on a dream. You can take the chair back and find something that will fit.

• Dionne
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Thanks.

• Laura Mac
    hace 5 años

Dionne, you are so cute and a great writer! I had Salvation Army come and take my couches out of my house, and the guy could not figure how to get it out my front door, got hot under the collar when I told him to wedge and turn it just so....and it was obvious he was agitated. I said no problem, just put it back. I gave it to the worker in my town home area, and he came up and wiggled it through just fine.... Turn it slightly, just so.... I'm sure they can wedge it through somehow. Or perhaps they can put some towels on the side of it and shove it through.... Do you have a picture of the doorway and the chair?

• Dionne
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

I added pictures of the chair from the website as well photos of the door opening and the trim where there's evidence of past failed attempts with the feet attached :-(

• Molly
    hace 5 años

Can you remove the feet?

Dionne agradeció a Molly
  • Dionne
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Yes, the handyman figured out how to remove the feet but the side frame or "ear" appears to be the barrier.

• indigoheaven
    hace 5 años

Can you bring the chair in through a window? We recently had to move two very large desks and bookcases out of a couple of rooms while we remodeled them. The easiest method, by far, was to pop the windows out of their frames and slide the furniture right through.

• Dionne
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

No the window is on the second floor above an arch. I would be quite nervous about major damage but thanks for the suggestion.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

Personally, I think you were saved. The back/arm height /length of that chair has no possible way to fit through that 30" entry. But it has nothing to do with glam, anyway, and a chair and a half is a useless waste of space and becomes seating for ONE.. Get a LOW ARM chaise, or chair and ottoman. That looks uncomfortable as all hell . I don't see what "Disney" has to do with girly glam spaces either. Get a Disney pillow......you hardly need the chair it was sitting on in the store. Call it the mitzvah it actually IS : )

• shirlpp
    hace 5 años

I agree that chair does not have anything to do with glam. The glam will come in with a knockout chandelier, artwork, pillows, throws, other accessories and of course the furniture.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 5 años

IMO chair and1/2 chairs are the silliest thing to come along in furniture , return the chair and get something smaller . Glam comes as mentioned from many things and Disney does not come to mind.

• Judy Mishkin
    hace 5 años

oh, people! telling someone their fantasy chair is not YOUR definition of a fantasy chair is like telling mrs. grey that spanking isnt fun.

i'm afraid you'll need a different chair because this one doesnt fit.

• Dionne
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Hello, thanks for your comments. The glam room was intended to be a fun room. I share a birthday and hometown with Walt Disney. When I was a single mom in medical school, my kids could watch a Disney movie while I studied without me worrying about the content. The world of Disney can be enjoyed by kids of all ages. This chair and I may part ways but I will always embrace the child in me who loves Disney.

• indigoheaven
    hace 5 años
    Dionne, thanks for sharing your photo and memories. As a homeowner, I want to create a space that makes me happy and brings me fulfillment. Sometimes that gets lost on this site.
    Dionne agradeció a indigoheaven
  • Laura Mac
    hace 5 años

@Dionne, how about having a custom couch/sofa made in velvet or your fabric of choice? You can give them exact design and details and they'll make something perfect for you, in the shape you want or whatever fun details you dream up. It will be exactly what you want.

Then to the room, add a cute chandelier, gorgeous pillows and framed photos of your adventures, kids sitting in the room while you were studying (hopefully you snapped a few), etc. Create the fun Disney ambiance and do what you love....

I'm guessing you may live in the LA/OC area? I have this company bookmarked for future reference but haven't used them....

www.monarchsofas.com

Dionne agradeció a Laura Mac
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 5 años

Rooms to Go chair above and American Signature are the chairs below. I'm sure every major furniture store in your location has a round chair & a half that swivels.

Dionne agradeció a BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK
    hace 5 años

Hi Dionne,

Fun chair for a fun room!

Can you go in a completely opposite direction?

Make your sons room your bedroom (or whatever) and make the glam room one of your rooms that your chair will fit in? Flip-flop?

• shirlpp
    hace 5 años

Gosh.....Simple to say in the initial post:

'The glam room was intended to be a fun room. I share a birthday and hometown with Walt Disney'

Who Knew!!

• Dionne
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Shirlpp, you’re right I could have mentioned why I chose the chair in my original post. However, this my first experience with this site and I didn’t anticipate the focus on my choice of chair rather than my question about fit. You live and learn. #firstworldproblems

• shirlpp
    hace 5 años

Dionne...No problem......You are getting wonderful advice now.

• mononhemeter
    hace 5 años

If that particular chair makes you happy and you know the brand of doors you have, you could buy a matching 32" prehung door and hire a carpenter to install it.

Dionne agradeció a mononhemeter
  • Hamma
    hace 5 años

Dionne, you're quite a writer! Enjoyed reading your story so much. I think yes, the universe is sending you a message that it wasn't meant to be :). Just this particular one...Can you look for a chair in a fun color? I have a fuschia chair in my master bath. Got it for my makeup counter. The amount of time I sat in it: zero! I have two young children who wake up at the crack of dawn...Don't have much time for makeup. But I'm hopeful that one day I will use it :).

Jan Moyer, oy, I think you confused mitzvah with mazel?! Mitzvah-commandment, mazel-luck. Source: I'm an Ashkenazi Jew.

Dionne agradeció a Hamma
  • tphilly
    hace 5 años
    Did they try taking the door off the hinges? (temporarily, of course)
    Dionne agradeció a tphilly
  • Dionne
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Yes, they did.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    hace 5 años

Stand it on its side, put the high back in the doorway, pivot, roll-slide toward the center of the room.

• Dionne
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Jan Moyer,

In March, I looked at a makeup table similar to the one you suggested.

In the spirit of just going for broke, I saw this chandelier at a salon once. Apparently, it’s sold on Canal street in NYC. Perhaps someday I will find a similar chandelier.

• Hamma
    hace 5 años

Have you seen these, Dionne? Beware that they are acrylic.

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Gypsy-Color-Chandelier-Crystals/dp/B075NKZZPT?th=1

• PRO
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    hace 5 años

Whatever you like is what you should get. However, that is not the problem. As you said in your original question, it is a problem of physics. The chair is just too big. Next time you order a piece of furniture, make sure you measure every doorway, hallway, wall, etc. to make sure it will fit. Not only width and length, but height as well. Better yet, do a plan for the whole room, so you know what pieces you need for the way you want to use the room. Then when you go shopping you know the dimensions. If you don't know how to do a plan to scale, go online for instructions or hire a decorator who will do that for you. Ethan Allen provides that service as a courtesy to customers. Good luck with your glam project!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    hace 5 años

You can't "pivot" 30 inches through anything less than 30 1/8 inches. No matter which way you turn it, girls : ) It's physics and back it goes. Has happened to me once in 27 years, and thank God my own sister, and not a "real" client. " If the glove doesn't fit , you must..... ahhhh ......QUIT"

• acm
    hace 5 años

Oh man, talk to me about narrow staircases and doorways in old Philadelphia townhouses! Every piece gets measured and specced before coming in, and sometimes we still have to do something dire! (disassembling a new W/D to get it into the basement? yes indeed!!)

• indigoheaven
    hace 5 años
    I'm still wondering if that room has a window large enough for the chair to be passed through. This is how we got some extremely tall bookcases in and out of a home office when I installed new flooring.
    Dionne agradeció a indigoheaven
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    hace 5 años

"You can't "pivot" 30 inches through anything less than 30 1/8 inches."

30 1/8" which she has, since she removed the doorframe. And the 30" deep chair is much shorter than that in height; turned on end, the slimmer dimension might squeeze through because the cushioned edges on the front of the chair and the top of the chair back have more give than the wood on the frame.

• Judy Mishkin
    hace 5 años

my daughter lives in back bay boston... narrow doors, stairs, etc. crate & barrel sends someone over to measure the whole path before they let you special order large pieces.

they said it would fit, and it did. : )

but our mover had to do this to get a double box spring up to the 3rd floor of our 150 year old house. the twisty stairs just were too....twisty.

Dionne agradeció a Judy Mishkin
  • shirlpp
    hace 5 años

indigoheaven - she responded to the window a few days ago:

No the window is on the second floor above an arch. I would be quite nervous about major damage but thanks for the suggestion.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    hace 5 años

Lindsay

Ethan Allen delivers furniture every single day!! Short of chopping a hole in the wall they will get something IN before they haul it back. A "skosh" isn't just a "skosh". It means a go or no go. In this case, the latter.

FYI to the rest: the back height, ceiling height, arm height, length, hallway turns. landings, elevators. It all matters. Thousands of items delivered successfully and only ONE fail in more than two decades for me? That single time/fail will reinforce the physics. It's not the last seating piece on the planet. My sister had to get the apt size and wait six weeks. : )

Dionne agradeció a JAN MOYER
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.