Houzz Logo Print
providencesparrow

What size reveal did you use for your lap/hardiboard siding?

providencesparrow
hace 5 años

Have you noticed that building a house makes you ponder minute details that have never crossed your mind previously? This particular week it is the size of reveal for my LP Smartside. This has led to lots of googling for example photos and has me wondering why architects choose a certain size over another.

How do different sizes convey different looks for a house? What size are you using in your build and why? What size tends to be more traditional vrs modern? What else should be considered when choossing siding styles?

Comentarios (23)

• ksc36
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

I'd spend more time driving around your neighborhood than wasting it on google. In my area there is really only one choice, 4" to the weather. There are a few antiques with a 2.5" exposure, but you can't do that with imitation siding like LP.

providencesparrow agradeció a ksc36
  • PRO
    PPF.
    hace 5 años

What does your house look like?

providencesparrow agradeció a PPF.
  • PRO
    LaDyne Design
    hace 5 años
    You should get a solid idea of the style and mood your trying to achieve with you home.

The exterior style of your house is defined by a few a major elements - Roof type/pitch, and Window style/layout are among the most prominent - with siding adding its own statement (but it can’t redefine the others). I’d say roofline is likely the strongest defining style element.

To share siding from recent projects I’ve done:
    - 4 1/2” reveal Hardie lap (Cottage restoration- Gable Roof)
    - 7 1/2” reveal “rustic V” lap (Rustic Farmhouse - 10’ ceilings w/Gable Roof)
    - 4’ x 4’ flat cement panels with aluminum extrusion channels between (Modern addition with low-angle shed roof)

So you can see there’s quite a variety! But again, those choices are consistent with the overall architectural style.

Fiber-cement is great and practical for so many reasons, but I’d encourage you to look beyond the very common basic lap siding. Hardie (and others) are making “Architectural” versions to include Rustic V, cove lap, and many profiles similar to traditional 3/4” clear grain wood profiles. They also come 3/8” thick so they can be mitered at corners vs using corner boards.

Mixing siding types (example Craftsman - shingles with stucco) can also create visual interest and break up monotony, or vertical levels if multi-story houses. Varnished wood section around front door is popular in Modern aesthetic.

What’s the architectural style of your home? Where is it located? (region, urban/rural, neighborhood character)
    What mood/style are you hoping to express?
    providencesparrow agradeció a LaDyne Design
  • PRO
    LaDyne Design
    hace 5 años
    Here is the link to Hardie’s architectural “Aspyre” collection and examples:

https://www.aspyredesign.com/lookbook

This one webpage alone has a some fabulous examples and with the various appropriate architectural styles. I’d think you’d be able find something that inspires you.

Good luck!
    providencesparrow agradeció a LaDyne Design
  • User
    hace 5 años

Hey providencesparrow! If I remember correctly, you and I have a similar "feel" to our house design (classic farmhouse). I am going with a wider reveal with our siding because I really just like the look. There's a super old, white farmhouse near where I live that has a wide reveal, and I think it's beautiful. I think our builder will be ordering the 7 1/2" hardie.

I've also seen farmhouses in my area with a narrow reveal, and they are also beautiful, just not the look that speaks to me.

providencesparrow agradeció a User
  • Architectrunnerguy
    hace 5 años

"Hey providencesparrow! If I remember correctly, you and I have a similar "feel" to our house design (classic farmhouse). "

Don't know why.....hmmmm!

providencesparrow agradeció a Architectrunnerguy
  • PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    hace 5 años

Well...there's at least a couple of approaches to your question:

1. The "weather" of horizontal siding depends a great deal on the type of architecture and scale of the house...large, small, or something else. 4" or less often creates a very "busy" visual result on middle size to larger houses. 6" is often a good compromise for many types of architecture. Anything larger than 6" often changes the scale and looks awkward and out of place. This is how an architect looks at siding.

2. The larger the "weather" the less siding is required and the quicker the siding is finished. Thus 7" or so is often used in tract and builders houses. This is how a builder looks at siding.

Take your pick.

providencesparrow agradeció a Virgil Carter Fine Art
  • providencesparrow
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Thanks so much for the great info and advice. Virgil I appreciate that explanation. You are correct in it all depends on your point of view. The siding installer was suggesting a 10inch reveal- It’s pushing 100 degrees here and my house is full siding so I don’t blame the poor guy.

Hey celenabobeena! Yep, we do have a similar “feel” (thanks to our rockstar architect!) ;)

I find it interesting how different siding speaks to people, and that’s part of my motivation for posting. And of course I’ve learned the term “farmhouse” can bring up different images for different people so the ‘correct’ siding for said farmhouse would probably just as varied.

And cpartist, I’ve followed your journey and was wondering what size your reveal was so I appreciate you sharing. So lovely! And so perfect for the design of the house.

• Melanie
    hace 5 años

I just thought I'd pipe in because I am trying to figure out what to do with my project. The builders are moving along very quickly on our custom home (which is great!) but didn't leave us a ton of time to confirm every detail the architect drew out... One of those is the siding reveal. We are going for modern farmhouse - leaning more towards the modern side. So we will have horizontal siding along with board and batten and stucco. Seeing the house today the siding reveal just looks too BIG! I didn't measure it but our front door is 9' if that gives any scale... It will cost us $ to fix it but I'd hate to just try to live with this if my gut is saying it's too big.. Anyone have thoughts?

providencesparrow agradeció a Melanie
  • PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    hace 5 años

Another builder 7 1/2-8 inch weather...

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    hace 5 años

I could be wrong, but I got the impression the OP may have been looking for the best appearing and most appropriate weather for lap siding...not the fastest to install...7"-8" (not to mention 11") is almost always unattractive.

And as far as "...painting rough sawn siding is not something anyone would do to real wood siding...", here's an example of painted siding, maintained for something like 200 years or so...

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

Oh brother, here we go again...another personal attack instead of sticking to the subject of siding...

The obvious point is that folks have been successfully painting sawn wood siding for hundreds of years...

• User
    hace 5 años

Its not worth the aggravation to participate in a forum where you have commented.

• nancyjwb
    hace 5 años

Virgil.

Key words: rough sawn.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    hace 5 años

Thanks, nancyjwb. I fully understand. And not only has rough sawn siding been commonly painted in the past, the same applies to shingle siding, which also has a "rough" surface.

Of course, more modern siding is now commonly run through planers or jointers for a smoother, tighter surface and consistent shape, but that was not always common.

JDS always resorts to personal attacks when someone disagrees with his view.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    hace 5 años

For those interested in the history of wood siding, this is an interesting history: http://www.colonialsense.com/How-To_Guides/Restoration/Clapboard_Siding.php

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    hace 5 años

Well...it's a late, warm afternoon here in the Texas Hill Country, and I'm sitting here with a wonderful, chilled glass of wine...

I'm smiling about how JDS continues to negatively personalize threads...rather than simply sticking to the thread's subject...

• mommyof2boysand1girl
    hace 5 años
    @melanie, I am not a designer but I, personally, love the look of those sidings together for a modern farmhouse. I think when it is all painted, you will too.
    providencesparrow agradeció a mommyof2boysand1girl
  • jmweber67
    hace 3 años

I know this is a old post but I am so glad that I finally can across information regarding this. We have a 90s rambler with 7 feet walls and standard size windows. We have a walkout so it is bigger in the back than it is in the front.

We are thinking of putting on LP siding but the sizes of the boards are 8 inches with

a 6 7/8 reveal or a 6 inch with a 4 7/8 reveal. Our contractor is telling us that the only size he has ever done is 8 inches.

I wanted to get some others opinions regarding this. I don’t want to spend all that money and be disappointed.

• blueeyes15
    hace 3 años

We are building a new house too. We are using the diamond kote siding. I’m not sure what size to use either. How does one decide? I know for sure the 12” is way to big. We are trying to decide on the 6” or 8”. Is there a rule of thumb as to what one should use according to the size or style of the house?

• millworkman
    hace 3 años

It's kind of a feel, personal preference type thing based on the elevations and home style. Tough to just flat out state what size without seeing the overall elevations. And even then there is not much of a science to it.

• Gila Alter
    hace 2 años

Have an old house in NYS that has reveal of 9 inches. Anyone know how old the house could be? The deed ends at 1840 but other details indicates original part is older. The 9 inch boards are on the oldest part of the house. Could this be Colonial?

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.