Houzz Logo Print
adrienne_sanchez

Need help choosing kitchen flooring

Adrienne Sanchez
hace 10 años
I recently bought a 1000 sq foot house in California that was built in 1949. It is a traditional tract home with wood flooring throughout, except in the bathroom and dining room/kitchen. I'm considering installing matching wood in the dining/kitchen area, although I'm pretty sure that the kitchens in these homes traditionally had tile or vinyl flooring.
Suggestions? If not wood flooring, recommendations on an alternative?
I've attached photos of the living area, dining, and kitchen.
Please help!

Comentarios (30)

• jabber629
    hace 10 años
    I would definitely do hardwood though out and I think it's a pretty good change there is salvageable wood underneath the vinyl in the kitchen. But I would use tile in the bathroom .
  • rayapar124
    hace 10 años
    I would do cork flooring very soft on the feet
  • apple_pie_order
    hace 10 años
    I'd consider hardwood in the kitchen with a polyurethane finish. For the bathroom, sheet vinyl for easy maintenance or tile if you don't mind dark grout.

In 1949, both rooms would likely have had linoleum floors. Sheet vinyl came along a bit later.
  • house01
    hace 10 años
    I will definitely do a wood floor throughout it would make the space appear bigger if you want to really go for it, widen the passage way so it can be an open floor plan
  • Southern Belle
    hace 10 años
    I have had wood in my kitchen before and over time with water it just doesn't mix....My opinion, I would not put wood in my bathroom. You can't clean it like vinyl or ceramic. I like to know that my floors are clean and sanitized. lol Just my thoughts though. :) Vinyl and tile would also be cheaper that hardwood unless you went with laminate and that really doesn't mix with water.
  • andymeg
    hace 10 años
    My 1948 house (in Wyoming) has hardwood floors throughout. I had them all refinished and polyurethaned when I bought it a year ago and the kitchen and bath still look great. With a little care (wipe up spills immediately) the wood should do fine. It helps that the square footage isn't very big in either room.
  • PRO
    Sensibly Chic Designs for Life
    hace 10 años
    I would definitely put wood in the kitchen and tile in the bathroom. If you are trying to be true to the time period, the small, 1" white porcelain tiles, perhaps even hexagon shaped would be a nice detail. This will be impervious to moisture and they have thinner grout lines than large tile so it will be easier to clean. If you don't care about being historically correct, I happen to be in love with the flooring that is a whole bunch of river rocks bonded to mesh so it is easy to install. After the entire floor is covered in rocks it gets grouted just like regular tile, and since you use a dirt-colored grout Ta-Da! you don't have to worry about the grout looking dirty. (Can you tell I like to keep things low-maintenance?) If you happen to like the natural look, I would recommend carrying the river rock and using it in the threshold between the kitchen and the living room which will break up the two hardwoods which will give you more flexibility in color choice for the wood floor.
  • Jeffrey Waser
    hace 10 años
    If the last owner installed the vinyl over an original wood floor (sometimes homeowners are worried about moisture so they just put the vinyl over the wood) then you maybe able to sand it down and refinish the flooring (Usually takes 2 or 3 days) and that's a project that most of the work can be done by your average home owner.

If the home does not have the wood flooring under the vinyl I would say put a heated tile floor in the bathroom (usually a couple hundred bucks more and well worth it) and consider using a different tile in the kitchen. If you want to make your bathroom appear larger use a tile that is 20x20 or around that size, and this will help make the room appear more spacious.

Are you going to remodel the kitchen or just the floor at the moment?
    The reason you should think about this is because if your going to redo your entire kitchen all at once latter on, then hold off on the kitchen floor and save your money. If you buy all the materials from the same store/showroom you can get a better discount and it will be easier to do all at once.

Before you start picking out materials and making decisions, sit down and make a list of what you like about your home and what you want to change. Then as you talk with your contractor make notes on how much it will cost to change each point. While opening up the layout of the home may seam really appealing the price of moving a load barring wall could make it not worth while.

Remember - every project will have its difficulties, if you plan a few extra days for your project it will relieve a lot of stress when these mishaps arise because you wont be stressed out by running behind schedule. Have fun!
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 10 años
    Match the wood throughout. You may have to search, but you match. .
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    hace 10 años
    I'm not fond of a lot of grout lines. Harder to keep clean. Although it does depend where it's used.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    hace 10 años
    You can use larger tile in proportion to the room it will be in. The layout may be difficult if it is too large. My daughter just asked me about this same thing.
  • ginafull
    hace 10 años
    I love my cork flooring! It's sustainable, bug repellent, and gorgeous.
  • Jeffrey Waser
    hace 10 años
    No one really likes grout lines and if you use a rectified tile you can use 1/16" grout lines. This combined with the correct grout color will help it disappear. I recommend tile for the kitchen and bathroom because of low maintenance and compared to hard wood flooring its very economical.
  • julesnrs
    hace 10 años
    I had tile in my kitchen and did not like it although easy to clean. I just did hardwoods throughout and lie it. Opens everything up too.
  • julesnrs
    hace 10 años
    Love it..
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    I agree with 'Jeffrey' but I've also installed tile with 1/16' grout lines and the color changes over time, in very used areas, even as narrow as it is. It makes a difference and depends on where it is installed. It does make it less visible.
  • Jeffrey Waser
    hace 10 años
    This is true. A lot of how it will look over time has to do with the color. For example if you go with a darker tile and a darker grout, you don't have to worry to much about the color changing from dirt (When I say darker I mean browns/grays). And as long as were taking color into consideration lets just face the ultimate deciding factor, Do you like tile? or do you want a different material.

No matter how wonderful a wood floor is, if you don't like wood floors you really wont be happy with that decision. So I suggest looking at what you like, weighing the cost and give yourself time to look around for the best deal possible. If you go with tile you may end up having to change your underlayment, as with any material its only as good as whats underneath it.

Also - If you put tile in a bathroom, seriously look at putting the electronic heating pads under it. It runs about $8 a square foot last I checked and it is Sooooo worth it when you step out of the shower and onto a warm tile floor... For real, its worth it.
  • Lyn Day
    hace 10 años
    It seems to me that all the new designs are going with the flow of all the same flooring throughout the house. This makes it look cohesive and streamlined. For the bath I would do a simple tile and run a heated area in the walkway. Your resale value will be grand.
  • PRO
    Universal Hardwood Flooring & Moulding, Inc.
    hace 10 años
    You might want to see this product :
    http://www.armstrong.com/flooring/site-search.asp?q=natural+reflections

Its called natural reflections and it looks very much like those 1940 strip flooring. The nice thing is its already finished so you all you need to do is have it installed.
  • Jeffrey Waser
    hace 10 años
    Lyn made a nice point with the tile - If you like a natural stone you can always get a pretty good deal too-
    I would suggest something from Eleganza tiles - they always have discontinued tile (they wont make it any more but the warehouse will have stock they need to sell).
    You can get a nice Travertine like these for around $1.80 a square foot and everyone likes it.

Whatever you end up with - make sure you like it :)
  • libradesigneye
    hace 10 años
    I vote for vintage hex tile in the bath - all the grout lines are great for preventing slip and fall. Cork in the kitchen and dining - it is available in colors like the living room wood but wears amazing in a kitchen. If you want to open the doorway wider to the dining and kitchen, (and I recommend it) then do that before you do flooring.
  • hparks74
    hace 10 años
    I'd pull up the vinyl and check before making a decision.
  • Julie Abshire
    hace 10 años
    I would do brick floors in the kitchen and ceramic tile in the bathroom. If you don't like the brick look, I'd go with the oversized ceramic tile in the kitchen.

I would NEVER put wood floors in a kitchen for 2 main reasons:
    1. Drop raw chicken on the floor and you will have to sanitize it with some type of bleach product...
    2. As with bathrooms, the floors will be exposed to moisture more than any other are in the house and will require you to MOP OR STEAM CLEAN the floors to remove spilled food, drinks, spatter from the stove, sink, trash can, etc..

Just my 2 cents :))
  • Adrienne Sanchez
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Wow! Thanks everyone! So many great suggestions. I do plan to do hex tiles in the bathroom and I also plan to open the entryway into the dining/kitchen before doing the flooring. I was especially happy to see those comments because it reaffirms my decision to do those two things.
    I've priced both tile and wood options and they're relatively the same.
    I also plan to paint the cabinets white and put in white/grey quartz countertops. What color would you use on the floor?
  • PRO
    Oak & Broad
    hace 10 años
    If you add wood flooring throughout your installer may have to refinish all of it to get the match. Ask them first to show you how close they can get.
  • annie912
    hace 10 años
    I say if you like the look of wood in Kitchen or Bath, they have some great porcelain tiles that look like wood. Merola Tile and Daltile.. if you need help let me know. I sell both..
  • Jeffrey Waser
    hace 10 años
    Hex Tiles + White Cabinets + Gray Counter Tops?
    Maybe go Retro with it.. Just saying.. It could be fun
  • PRO
    District II
    hace 10 años
    Hi Adrienne, I would definitely recommend wood porcelain tiles as an alternative for traffic areas like kitchens, etc. They are resistant to scratches, spills, etc and need minimal maintenance. We do carry a good variety of wood porcelain tiles - http://tiledaily.com/category/porcelain/wood-porcelain/
    Hex tiles are beautiful, and very popular - http://tiledaily.com/?s=hex&submit=Search
  • susiek123
    hace 10 años
    You might want to look at the Home Depot "Traffic Master" Flooring. It is easy to install, industrial/wheelchair strength and the patterns look so real that our Bath Room Remodeler had to bend down to touch it to see that it was not real. The designs come in wood grain, porcelain, tile, etc. Great price, great endurance....
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.