Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_41448083

Why would you use a painting about the massacre of women and children?

User
hace 5 años
I read your response that it was what the client wanted, but I now associate your business with insensitivity and lack of good taste. Sometimes you have to do the right thing and pick decency over money.
Noone Street, Clifton Hill · Más información

Comentarios (20)

• cafecomm
    hace 5 años

Well said.

• Hazel Bessette
    hace 5 años

This painting was a protest to the atrocities in the war at Guernica.

• juliahocking
    hace 5 años

Let's take this argument to its logical end - Why did the artist (Picasso) choose to paint an atrocious subject??

To remind us to live life to the full!!

• User
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

What? No. That's not why he painted it. Get a clue.

• juliahocking
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

Rita

Thanks for the education -

however, in protesting we are always asking for a better life

That's why we protest

I got the clue many years ago while you were growing up

• PRO
    Design Ark Inc
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

@Key Piece,

Anyone who is in the architectural/interior design fields knows often, too often,... we have to meet client's requests not in line with our personal choices. The only thing we can do is to do our best within given limits and creative freedoms...with that said I find your work very nice and creative..

I myself was contemplating using glass as a backsplash material...

What kind of printing was used to transfer the image onto the glass and also how the glass was attached to the wall?

Thank you very much

Great work!

• archietexture
    hace 4 años

While it may seem an odd choice, who knows the client’s connection to the event? Or why they chose that piece. One thing is for certain, what toxic virtue-signaling. Choosing to be offended with ZERO frame of reference. EYEROLL.

• archietexture
    hace 4 años

I’d further note, these days virtue-signalers don’t just get uneducated offended with a person’s personal choice, THEY MUST get out a brush and start painting people they know NOTHING about with broad strokes of their bigotry and intolerance. The VERY behavior that creates wars.

• User
    Autor original
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

The painting shows women and children being murdered. Someone chose that for their kitchen. My interpretation is that they had zero idea what the painting means and just chose it because it's black and white and looks good in the space. Complete lack of understanding of context. And I'm sure most of you are defending it because you also have no idea of the context. So seriously, educate yourself just a tiny bit and get a clue.

• archietexture
    hace 4 años

Your assumptions against strangers border on insanity. The kind of insanity Nazis used.

• archietexture
    hace 4 años

You’re right about one thing, I defend their right to do as they please and not be the victims of fascists dictating to them.

• juliahocking
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

Rita

Picasso chose to paint the original - are we going to criticise HIM for that?

I don't think so

We thank him for showing us what humans are capable of

We thank him also for expressing valid emotions which still resonate in 21st century

We could have the original on the wall in the living room and admire it

The kitchen is no different

I still stand by my thought that the artist wanted us to see the atrocity so we can appreciate our own peaceful life

• Sally W
    hace 4 años

Picasso painted the work as a reaction to the atrocities of war - specifically the Spanish Civil War. He was not glorifying massacres, he was protesting them. This exemplifies the need for education in the humanities, art, history, civic etc.

• User
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Of course I don’t have a problem with the painting—it’s an amazing, powerful painting. It does not belong as kitchen decoration. It’s in poor taste. I cannot make some of you understand this concept, so I’m done trying. Good luck with your decorating.

• Sally W
    hace 4 años
    1. If you don't think this painting should be in a kitchen, then don't choose it for your kitchen,
    2. Why is it a great painting in a museum, but offensive in a kitchen? That makes no sense.
    3. And blaming the designer? What, what?
    4. As my niece used to say, "you aren't the boss of me" -- or at least anyone on Houzz
  • PRO
    Key Piece
    hace 4 años

Sally, you have a very wise niece! We stopped commenting on this post years ago. It started to get ridiculous & sad. Thanks for your support everyone who has commented with an open & curious mind. We are grateful for you :)

• PRO
    Key Piece
    hace 4 años

Ok just over a year ago! Wow the heavy energy of receiving these messages seemed like years....

• archietexture
    hace 4 años

Rita, is it in poor taste to turn the Holocaust into a cash cow as Hollywood has done? No one “protests” that. No one says it’s in poor taste, or accuses them of cashing in, when it’s PAINFULLY OBVIOUS that’s what it has became. No one casts broad aspersions on those directors and producers,m and accusing them of ignorance. Get back to me when you start a movement against REAL cashing in on “poor taste” and dead people. For now your pearl clutching is a big joke.

• Phyllis Barkowsky
    hace 2 años

It’s A very powerful anti-war symbol

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.