jklafehn

What size range should we purchase for our kitchen renovation?

lbd518 (7b DE)
hace 6 años

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are renovating our kitchen and are struggling to decide which size range we want to replace our old one. The two ranges we're considering are both Lacanche ranges, one being the Saulieu/Savigny, which is 43.5" long, and the other being the Citeaux, which is 59 5/16" long. As far as functionality is concerned, the Citeaux is definitely our preferred range, given the extra burners and the addition of the warming cupboard. However, we both worry that the overall look will be - well - overkill, mostly due to the size of the hood that would need to be purchased to accommodate that size range. I should note that we both really like the black/brass hood, as it seems to make the range pop that much more - we've thought about a wood hood instead, but both my husband and I are concerned with it being a "sea of white", hence the contrasting hood.

I've included a photo of the current space, as well as two renderings I did myself (and which may not be fully to scale, so take them with a grain of salt). Neither of us mind the "professional kitchen" look, however, we also don't want it to look wrong for the space, either. I've also included a photograph of the entire kitchen (pardon the clutter), so that you can see where the range/hood would sit relative to everything else.

Current Kitchen:

Citeaux:

Savigny:

Any thoughts?

Comentarios (10)

• PRO
    Prime Ohio Real Estate
    hace 6 años

We are installing 48" Thermador range top (in our new build), and it is quite huge. but, I like the griddle thingy. I thought that 36" would have been sufficient too, and probably should have gone with it.

Based on the pictures you provided, I would recommend a 36" range is ideal, may be 43" range. Anything bigger would make your upper/cabinets less functional and you may loose the corner space. 60" is going to be oversized for the space to be comfortable.

Not to mention, the bigger hood needs bigger fans and costs considerably more.

• PRO
    Prime Ohio Real Estate
    hace 6 años

You have built in refrigerator on the left side, and 60" is way too much. too much going in that corner. stick with 43" or smaller.

• PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    hace 6 años

How many people do you cook for everyday? The answer to your question should be rooted in what you need vs. what's the biggest I can find. A 60" range in that space would look really crowded and would kill any wall cabinet space.

• lbd518 (7b DE)
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Right now, it's just me and my husband, though we do a fair bit of entertaining, hence the interest in the warming cupboard. We're definitely not looking for the biggest range (as Lacanche certainly offers ranges substantially larger than the Citeaux!), but the range with the most options that would fit our lifestyle. With all that being said, if it would end up being a poor fit for the space (not to mention the previous comment about the close proximity to the refrigerator - something I hadn't even considered), then it's probably best to keep it smaller. Though the temptation is definitely still there :)

• auntthelma
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

If you will use a big range, this is your chance to have one. Most people don't use it. But some do. Buy the one that fits your lifestyle. Kitchens are working rooms.

• User
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Both are out of scale to the kitchen. Stick with a 30” standard range. You lack counter space as it is. And that corner would be an even worse black hole.

Save the rarely used spendy toys for the next, bigger, house.

• DrB477
    hace 6 años

I think the 60" is too big for your kitchen. I know this wasn't what you asked, but the layout, while not horrid, could probably be improved, you don't have a lot of counterspace in the right locations and the workflow isn't ideal.

• lbd518 (7b DE)
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Though we weren't really planning on doing any drastic renovations, I am curious to hear your thoughts on how the workflow might be improved. My husband and I usually do all of our prepwork on the island, so counter space is not as big an issue/dealbreaker for us as it might be for others.

• M
    hace 6 años

A common problem that I find in a lot of initial postings to this forum is kitchen remodels being driven by the desired list of features. In principle, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. In fact, you should identify the features that you need and then build your kitchen around it.

But inevitably, the answer then turns out to be that a bigger range is required. And that's typically not true. Very few homechefs need 8+ burners. It's really hard to keep more than a handful of burners in active use.

Once you realize that, you are back to a more conservatively sized 30" or 36" range or range-top. And you start thinking about adding other appliances to fill the remaining needs that you might have.

This could be a second wall oven, it could be a combination steam oven (awesome choice!), a microwave speed oven, a microwave drawer, a warming drawer, or built-in sous-vide facilities. Or of course, any combination of these appliances.

Also, once you separate your needs into specialized appliances, you have more choices in both gas and/or induction models that fit your needs.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.