Houzz Logo Print
cali59

Counter top color recommendation for this Rustic Kitchen

cali59
hace 6 años

What color counter tops would to choose for this kitchen??? We planned to order either Cambria Quartz or Corian countertops.

I originally picked out the color Clareanne (which is a gray mable look) from Cambria, however it looks like it is out or our price range. (It's in the Luxury Series which didn't help the price.)

Anyways!! I'm taking this opportunities to look at it with new eyes and fresh options. Thanks!!

Our kitchen will be very similar to this kitchen. We have the same cabinet guy making our cabinets with the same colors. Also we will have a wood top on our island just like this as well (with the same color but a more rustic glaze).

Comentarios (137)

• cali59
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

yes, I was going to get the same pendant lights as you see in the picture. They are oxidized mental.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 5 años

Oh wonderful was going to suggest these...

I did a farmhouse style kitchen and added an antiqued copper apron/farm sink..looked amazing! Love any copper accent!

cali59 agradeció a Home Interiors with Ease
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 5 años

This is the kitchen...

Shafer river house · Más información

• richfield95
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

When are your cabinets coming in? Will you be able to wait until you have them to select the counter? I looked at many of the same Cambria selections and they were all too gray once I put one of my natural hickory cabinet doors next to it. That’s why I ended up with the Corian, none of the patterned Cambria were quite right. Keep in mind that the hickory is more yellow than taupe.

cali59 agradeció a richfield95
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 5 años

This is a better image of the Britannica..more true color it is very bright....will be beautiful with the hickory.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 5 años

Here it is with Hickory flooring...might help visualize...good luck keep us posted!

• richfield95
    hace 5 años

Home interiors - that floor is lovely but it is not natural hickory.

Cali- check out Ella and Dovedale, they were less gray as I recall.

• cali59
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

richfield sounds like I am having the same predicament you were! I have a quote for Corian but have no idea if their prices change with color. Did you say you ended up with Corian Glacier White? Did you like any of their grays? What sold you on the white?

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 5 años

All Hickory and included your cabinets.

• cali59
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

I'm curious what peoples thought are on Clareanne for my kitchen? This was originally my first choice, just over the budget though, so it's been on the back burner. DH told we today he would prefer if the countertops were not white.

https://www.cambriausa.com/Designs/design-palette/Clareanne/ 

• PRO
    Aqua Kitchen and Bath Design Center
    hace 5 años

With the wood cabinets that have a lot of movement, I would go with something not too dark and with less movement. Caesarstone Clamshell Quartz is a beautiful, sophisticated quartz that presents a soft fusion of light gray and white features. If you want to achieve the look of light natural stone, take a look at Caesarstone Bianco Drift Quartz that features refined look with a clean and glossy feel. If you still want more movement, you may like Caesarstone Montblanc Quartz that combines light gray background and darker gray veining.

cali59 agradeció a Aqua Kitchen and Bath Design Center
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 5 años

Cali69..it is really nice have not worked with that one..just looked it up very pretty why did you change your mind on it? It will give a lighter concrete look...seems to be very popular in farmhouse kitchens....you have to go with your gut...

• wickedwhite
    hace 5 años
    Love your choice of cabinets! I would do a simpler island though, and a lighter countertop with subway backsplash. Here’s some inspiration. Notice how well the grout works with the black hardware.
    Rustic Reclaimed Chestnut · Más información
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 5 años

I don't like this color w/your hickory. it's that cool lavender gray tone like the other.

I like the weybourne one,,the white w/soft gray swirls. I'd do that and then do a soapstone on the turquoise island. if not soapstone, then some other honed black granite.

(i think soapstone is the best option and I agree w/cpartist.) you really should bring in some black, somewhere, w/that hickory and the turquoise. I know you want gray, but unless it's the right gray, I don't think it will be the best choice.

also, w/these types of countertops, (above from cambria) they lean a little on the modern/contemporary side, so be careful if you want more of a 'homey, farmhouse' type of look

cali59 agradeció a Beth H. :
  • cpartist
    hace 5 años

I would use soapstone for such a rustic looking kitchen.

I really don't think quartz is the best choice for your kitchen and if you're looking for practically indestructible, soapstone is it. Remember it's what they used to use in labs in school.

cali59 agradeció a cpartist
  • cali59
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

where can you buy soapstone?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 5 años

any stone yard. ask for it. and you want the black soapstone. they also have greenish/gray. in it's natural state it looks like this,,,you oil it if you want a richer, blacker appearance.

oiled

hickory cabinets and soapstone.

get the sink too

at the very least, do the soapstone on your island and then do your white cambria on the others.

Duetto quartzite is another option

apparently there is a white soapstone/marble. beautiful

• cali59
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

soapstone is beautiful. I don't deny it. It's just not the material I want... I am so torn with this decision. I really don't want a darker countertop, my husband does not like white. We both like gray but can't find the right color. I would like to stick with Cambria.

Here is one that I love. I realize it's busier. However what if I change the color of the island to go with it more and not do the more rustic glaze. Will it go with the wood?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 5 años

cali, it's not so much whether or not the colors will go w/that wood, it's more of the very busy pattern and the very busy hickory grain of the wood.

I wouldn't do a glaze on the cabinets anyway. your other turquoise color is fine. why don't you look for a warmer gray for the perimeters and do this one you like on the island?

what about this Fossil Gray? It's a warmer gray and looks like it would go w/that cambria

trying to find a gray pictured w/wood

this one is nice. Icestone Heirloom gray

MSI Stone,,,the one below is the Babylon gray these would work very nicely w/yoru hickory

i think this is fossil brown

• cali59
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Thanks Beth, We decided to do the same wood top as pictured in the post to save money. Also, we thought is added warmth. We like wood.

Besides Kelvingrove being to busy... Do you think the tones of the wood with this countertop is ok?

You don't like the glaze. I initially hated it but everyone around me though is gave so much more dimension. I would love to hear your thoughts on this. I really appreciate your help!! Thanks. :)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 5 años

I like this gray quartz with everything.

what about the fossil brown? maybe you could find a half slab for the cambria you like for the island? It wouldn't cost as much.

In the pic you posted for your inspiration, the island was a nice turquoise. seems like you want to tone it down? I like the color, the glazing,,,it depends. If the glazing isn't done perfectly it ends up looking 'dirty'. I don't think you need more dimension with all the items you're choosing. I would rather you go a little more deep w/the color, no glazing, then subtle color and dark glazing. But that's just me. It's your kitchen! what do you like.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 5 años

Be careful fossil gray can go a bit green...oh my you are all over the place...you want to have something that has a more organic look with your hickory so that being said....if you are doing wood on island with the teal..I would do soapstone or Britannica..the Clairanne...is my last choice

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 5 años

julie,,,this Clairanne is really quite lavender/gray and modern looking.

sorry,,,it's nice,,,but not with her items

I like the Weybourne way better if we're doing light grays.

we're not all over the place, we are just trying to find a gray that doesn't read lavender. she doesn't want the black, DH doesn't want white,,,so we are back to grays,,,or the aqua cambria one that is going to be really busy. But maybe if it's just on the perimeter and you do a butcher block island, it will work.

my issue w/that is now you have 3 different wood species in your kitchen

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 5 años

Fossil brown look Taupe...not good with your Hickory....sorry I have seen a lot of these in person so want to give you my personal review on them...so sorry this is so difficult..have you consulted with the builder? They usually have a designer that pulls complementary items together and could give you some advice from there professional experience.

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    hace 5 años

When I was looking at gray quartz, I looked at: Samsung Apline umber quartz, but hubby did not like it & wanted a granite for the wall run cabinet area, so we ended up with silver pearl granite. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwic6v2KlvzaAhUI82MKHScwCBsQFgg-MAc&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.themarblestore.co.uk%2FGrey%2520%2FAlpine%2520Umber%2F680&usg=AOvVaw2-x1BmH3gED76wb__dij7u

cali59 agradeció a Cheryl Hannebauer
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 5 años

I don’t see any lavender at all..but have not seen it in person..does not look modern to me could go in just about any style kitchen...but I have not seen in person...Beth have you actually seen that surface in person....that can make such a difference..we all see different colors!:)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 5 años

she took a pic of the carrick,,it looked lavender to me and in other pics. maybe it's not. The clairanne? look at the picture I just posted,,,,it's with whites and marble. that's a cool color palette

the clairanne just does not seem like a good fit w/her cabs, her red flooring and the turquoise island. no i have not seen it, so maybe i'm just out in left field.

I still say she needs a warm gray. and yes, the soapstone would solve all the probs and look amazing. and she could do her aqua cambria on the island. That combo I like and would do in a heartbeat.

since you've seen the fossil brown, then scratch that.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 5 años

Gosh I would never mix soapstone with(Kelvingrove) aqua Cambria? I have only used aqua Cambria in lake houses and bathrooms...I would not use that on a teal island...now it is getting to mixed up....

I think wood on the island is the way to go....nothing medium colored for countertops..I think it needs to be dark or very light...nothing in between...just my take on it.

• cali59
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

I am disapointed that the sample (of my island cabinet) my cabinet guy gave me is different from the picture you see( in the post). I'm not sure why. I faintly remember it being a special order paint. However, I'd rather just solve the problem. This is my chance to change the island color to go with the countertop. I don't think its to late yet to change the island color.

Here is a swatch of my floors. To me they are much for ash color then my other choice.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 5 años

I love the teal island but would be just as pretty white with one of the white/ gray quartz....my #1 is Britannica.

• jhmarie
    hace 5 años

I am going to throw this out just because it works with my warm wood cabinets, which are oak, so also have movement, though not as much as the hickory. My countertop has gray, white, cream and a touch of beige. Close up it has movement, but as you step away, it sort of blends together - at least enough not to overwhelm.

In this pic and light there looks to be a lot of gray:

https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~58831076

Some of the warmer tones can be seen here:

https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~88667617

Looks like lots of movement:

https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~54988831

Step back, not so much:

https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~109854029

That is LG White Pearl. LG has some others that might work and other companies have similar. LG is made in the US and uses the Breton technology.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 5 años

i like the britannica as well. or the weybourne.

But remember what she said, "her DH doesn't want white"

JH,,post it under Houzz photo so we don't have to click 4 different times to see pics

My pics -work in progress: · Más información

My pics -work in progress: · Más información

• richfield95
    hace 5 años

Like Beth said, the island color isn’t really the problem, it’s the hickory. I think you have a few ideas that may work, but you may want to wait to make the final decision until you can take your hickory cabinet door with you. Hickory can have a lot of variation. These are my cabinets:

And it yellows overtime, I didn’t realize how much until we were moving cabinets around. Look at th difference between what was exposed to the sun and where it was covered with another cabinet

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 5 años

wow,,,that's quite a change richfield. I like your cab color. you seem to have more of a subtler type of hickory, compared to some I've seen on here.

• cali59
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Summerhill from Cambria is my new favorite. It has enough grey the DH likes it. My second favorite is Kelvingrove.

I'm curious peoples thoughts on Summerhill?

I've realize I really like the movement in quartz. I'm just trying to find one somewhat sudle to go with my Rustic knotty hickory.

I would rather look at something I think is pretty, rather then a solid gray. And I really like quartz.

Kelvingrove below

• PRO
    Home Art Tile Kitchen & Bath
    hace 5 años

If you like quartz, gray, and movement, have you seen Turbine Gray or Vanilla White by Caesarstone? Or have you considered Calacatta Gold marble? It's busy but not too busy and its white but not completely white. There is also Super White that looks gray and has movement but it's not too busy.

• wickedwhite
    hace 5 años
    I would do a White Island.
    Rustic Reclaimed Chestnut · Más información
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 5 años

Ok looks like you took 10 women to help pick your wedding dress! Hehe...we will never all agree!:))) what does your gut tell you?...narrow it down to three...we will be honest if it is just not a good choice at all but it seems most will work.....so you need to narrow it down and decide for sure if you will be doing a wood island and keeping the teal.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 5 años

i don't know about summerhill. the pattern is very pronounced and screams look at me! but maybe it's subtler in person. I do like the colors.

you might as well look at granite if you're picking something like this. River White is similar and prob cheaper

with the hickory cabs,,,not sure about this one. would be so much easier if you cabs were installed so we could see how they look in place

btw,,this is Amazonite quartzite,,has your aqua tones

• cali59
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

I finally started to be willing to look outside of the Cambria line. Thank you Julie and Beth for your design input. Extremely helpful. I think you will be happy with my new interest

Caesarstone Concrete or Rugged Contrete. (These I think will better complete the rustic look we are after. )

I'm looking into the brand and price points. But I think I would be happy with either of these Caesarstone colors.

I do love Cambria, unfortunately I finally had to say good bye today to the beautiful slabs in the showroom with the help of my mom confirming its just too busy for my hickory. ;(

So thank you all for your help. (only a few more dresses to try on. lol)

You all helped saved me and were patient, Thank you.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 5 años

I've never seen this one. I like it! Especially if you use black accents

looks like it works well w/the warm wood tones too.

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    hace 5 años

@Beth H- love this ...

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 5 años

Love it!

• cali59
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

yay!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 5 años

Your kitchen is going to be so wonderful rustic and charming! :)

• cali59
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Thanks so much Home Interiors with Ease. :)

• cali59
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Thanks Beth! I like the black with it too. Good point! Thank you.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 5 años

Oh boy let’s talk over the black....I am sure it will take us as long to debate that as it did picking the counter tops!;)))))))

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 5 años

cali59,,,what did you end up choosing?

• Missi (4b IA)
    hace 5 años

commenting b/c I just found this thread and I really want to know too!

Would love to see pics of the hickory cabinets as well, if they're done. Hickory is one of my husband's choices for the kitchen.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.