Houzz Logo Print
houzzindia

Ask The Houzz Experts: Extending Roofs-- CLOSED

HouzzIndia
hace 6 años
última modificación:hace 5 años

Been thinking of extending your home's roof? Not sure how to go about it? Looking for smart roof designs? Don't worry, help is at hand. Ask our experts Kayzad & Maria of SHROFFLEóN now!!

Start submitting your questions in the comments below!

Comentarios (12)

• vedikaseth
    hace 6 años

Hi, I have an open balcony and I want to prepare it for the Mumbai rains. What type of flexible covering can I use to cover the balcony during rains and take it down post monsoons?

• Rita Bhatia
    hace 6 años

Hi I have a holiday home in Shimla and we're currently constructing an extended outdoor bar area. What kind of roofing solutions can I look at - I want materials that would be suitable to the climate and also look good.

• sararahim123
    hace 5 años

I've been thinking of getting my roof relaid, as we live in an old, ancestral home. How much would it cost? Could you give me an idea?

• PRO
    URBAN ELEMENTS FLOORING
    hace 5 años

Shimla i think the climate favours you do have fairly biased fascade or setup for your Bar area i think you should have a opening to the bar with a glass or awning shade. If you could go for glass the temperature could be controlled with the extended room setting of your house. Also awning is easily maintainable, which you gives you a further use of a outdoor fireplace.

• Preeti Jhamb
    hace 5 años
    pls. suggest the material for staircase. Does wooden staircase loose its shine
  • PRO
    SHROFFLEóN
    hace 5 años

anitasurve

There are a couple of ways you can do this.

One is to have a grilled cover on top, akin to a pergola that you can beautify with greens. This will keep the place relatively cooler, as well as protect from intruders. This is a more economical option.

The second would be to have a retractable roof, which can be mechanically opened or closed as required.

• PRO
    SHROFFLEóN
    hace 5 años

vedikaseth

Bombay rains are harsh! The one thing you can do is use flexible covers that work similar to roller blinds, and are transparent which allows the light to enter. There are many companies that offer such a product. Just choose one where the installation is easy and taking down the sheets is not an issue once the rains are over. Do keep in mind however that the water will still enter the balcony, you will simply be reducing the force of rains, and will require a water outlet.

• PRO
    SHROFFLEóN
    hace 5 años

Rita Bhatia

Not knowing the general aesthetic of the home, it is a bit difficult to suggest material that would be in sync with your place.

In general I would suggest a metallic or a wooden structure with a corrugated sheet or tiles for the roofing. Regardless of the material it is the detailing with which it is made that makes the aesthetic difference so do choose your contractor and vendor carefully.

• PRO
    SHROFFLEóN
    hace 5 años

shweta1234

Its close to impossible to give you an answer without knowing more about the home. What climate is it in, what the current condition, what is it currently made of?

In general as its an old structure, so expect surprises once the current flooring is ripped open. Would be prudent to budget a bit more than whatever the contractor initially estimates.

• PRO
    SHROFFLEóN
    hace 5 años

Preeti Anjani Jhamb

Yes, but with regular maintenance it should be OK. Moreover, general wear and tear does has its own charm.

Depending on where this stair is, you could consider a metal structure with stone treads as well.

• PRO
    Vasundhara Latwal
    hace 5 años

Preeti Anjani Jhamb Good question! this week's topic is [Staircase design[(https://www.houzz.in/discussions/ask-the-houzz-experts-staircase-design-closed-dsvw-vd~5290918?n=12), please follow the link and post your query under the current discussion!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.