Houzz Logo Print
cwessells

Would love some wall sconces-but what kind???

Crystal Wessells
hace 6 años
I’m in the process of decorating the dining room and have secured the table, wall art, chandelier and rug. Now I would love to have some wall sconces installed beside the artwork.

Given the size of the wall and art-should I go with long railing sconces, or smaller ones? Also, does anyone have suggestions on particular styles that would compliment the artwork?

Any help would be appreciated!

Comentarios (26)

• njmomma
    hace 6 años

Not a Pro.

I like it as is!

• Sammie J
    hace 6 años

Are you sold on having sconces? If not, and lighting the art is the intent, I think a picture light above the art would work.

• PRO
    Storm Interiors
    hace 6 años

Sconces would be nice and give the space more warmth.

Here are some ideas:

Like the mercury glass behind

https://www.circalighting.com/kate-small-wall-sconce-sp2003/

https://www.circalighting.com/bristol-small-sconce-s2120/

I like to mix metals:

https://www.circalighting.com/calliope-single-sconce-tob2135/

Peruse Circa Lighting - lots of options.

• Elle
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Art is definitely a matter of personal preference and I think that piece is unique. Aside from that, I think it is a little dominant/imposing given the current overall design of the space. I like sconces but my concern would be that adding them would increase the art's dominance. While a space can have an art piece as a focal point, I don't see that piece in this space as that situation. Not to belabor the point but I think the art would work better in a larger room or in a room with bolder or related design choices.

• evelynwoo
    hace 6 años

I agree with adding a sleek sideboard instead of sconces. It would balance the artwork, which is a good size.

Bergen Street Residence · Más información

Gallagher · Más información

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 6 años

Not an electric sconce, but a candle sconce would be nice.

• Laura Mac
    hace 6 años

I agree that a nice sideboard would be beautiful with some tall lamps. Then you might need to move your art slightly higher...

• Crystal Wessells
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Hi all-thank you for the input!

I actually have the matching sideboard to this table, but had to move it out of the room because it was far too cluttered (its rather large).

So for the sake of leaving some visual and walkable space, I decided to forego adding more furniture into this room.
  • njmomma
    hace 6 años

Not a Pro.

I think adding drapes would finish off the room beautifully.

Once you add drapes and maybe a tray or bowl as a center piece you may feel differently about adding the sconces.

Love your room by the way! Your art is unexpected and makes the room.

• Crystal Wessells
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Thank you njmomma:)

I have to say-It’s been hilarious reading people’s reaction to my art choice (I had some comments on another thread from last year).

Seems like its not a popular choice!
  • Nancy Sweeney
    hace 6 años
    I like the artwork! I agree adding draperies and centerpiece would soften the look & add color. I would pick colors that blend in with adjoining rooms to tie it all together. If you feel the room still needs a finishing touch then add sconces.
  • jbtanyderi
    hace 6 años
    This room is desperately in need of colour - even if only on the moulding. Wall-to-wall drapes to the height of the horizontal (leaving the upper window uncovered) would be welcome.
  • vickie52
    hace 6 años

Love the artwork!

• wsea
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

I think what needs to change is the wall color the warm yellow/tan/peach doesn’t work with the graphic nature of the other elements

• Laura Mac
    hace 6 años

@Crystal - That's bull$#it - your art is a great choice! LOL (I just had to....)

• Laurie Schrader
    hace 6 años

If you're going to do it, then check in with an electrician before you go. Have you done that? Be realistic on costs.

• Carol R
    hace 6 años
    Love the art, why have art that doesn’t create impact?
  • R M
    hace 6 años
    Just a thought. You obviously do not have room for a buffet or credenza. Maybe a black floating shelf....narrow depth, would work .
    Check out; Lewis Hyman wall mounted 60”
    black floating shelf. There are many to choose from.
    Love the quiet of your room....maybe only curtains needed.
  • hollybar
    hace 6 años

Are you planning on any more elements for the room? It strikes me not as minimal,but unfinished, and I don't think sconces alone are the answer. Maybe with a rich and more intentional looking paint colour ...

• niccidhg
    hace 6 años
    Crystal , First of all - art is always meant to reflect the owner’s taste , interest and style . Really , the only parameters are that the size fit with its surroundings , and yours certainly does seem to be a good scale relating to the rest of the room. If you have chosen to leave the windows w/o draperies ( love the plantation shutters BTW ) and want more lighting for the room - consider putting sconces on either side of the window (if there is room on the other side - can’t see that ) .See pic. below - you could use dark wood or black iron - but a shape like the pic. I think the shades would soften the look a bit ,too. If you can put them on either side of the window, I wood use a larger live tree, potted and placed inside a large rustic basket in the CORNER to the right of your art. If there isn’t enough room to put a sconce on the left side of your window, you could consider putting a pair facing each other on the perpendicular walls to your art and just adding a shorter , learner plant in the right - hand corner.
  • niccidhg
    hace 6 años
    That was supposed to be a shorter , large plant - not learner plant :)
  • niccidhg
    hace 6 años
    As an after - thought , to give the illusion of something grounding the artwork, without taking up space ,you could always paint a darker color below the chair rail and around under the window.
  • niccidhg
    hace 6 años
    Something like this for the potted tree -
  • Janet Mmm
    hace 6 años
    Love your room!
  • Crystal Wessells
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Thank you all SO much for the kind words and great suggestions! I will take everything into consideration.

@Laura Mac-your comment literally made me laugh out loud -thank you for that

I wouldn’t be opposed to drapes, but would want custom if I go that route..which is cost prohibitive at this time.

So, all things considered...may I pose a couple more questions...???

1. What paint color scheme would look nice in this room? My entire home is done in the same color you see in the picture, so it would need to mesh well with that, due to the adjoining room.

2. How about adding some white wainscoting around the bottom, under the chair rail? This would be a project I can afford, because I know someone who can do this for me. Would this compliment the style of the room?

3. Here’s the fun part...Any suggestions on tablecloths or centerpieces for my table?
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.