Houzz Logo Print
jill4feet

need new paint color help

Jill
hace 6 años
Installed this dark gray carpet recently and now I don’t like the wall color. It’s too beige. It’s Edgecomb Gray. I think it needs to be a darker color or a color that has maybe a blue in it?

Comentarios (49)

• wtjohnson
    hace 6 años
    Not a Pro, but I think a nice lavender tone and some artwork would pull the space together
  • loves to decorate
    hace 6 años
    Yes, I think a cool toned grey paint would look better with your carpet.
  • Jill
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Thank you for the furniture input. I need a new paint color before anything else. For now the furniture needs to stay and I need to get the paint color changed first. The couch at the end of the bed needs to stay mainly because one of my dogs sleeps on it. Can’t take his couch away plus there is abtv across from it. We just went thru a complete remodel of our house while living in it and this was his safe haven and he and us love that couch. We took other older furniture out in other rooms while the remodel was going on and he got sick. Stressed out sick. Now that the remodel is over we left the master bedroom as it is for now and have spent a fortune on new furniture throughout the house and no one really comes up in our master bedroom so not concentrating on furniture up here yet. I need a wow paint color. This edgecomb gray isn’t working with the new dark gray carpet. The previous carpet was light silver color and worked better but it was only 2 years old and Mohawk didn’t stand up with warranty. It had wear patterns from walking after 1 year. Mohawk said they were going to do nothing. Their warranty is all bull. We rarely are even up here walking on carpet.
  • Jill
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Also, the reason the room is so large is because we joined 2 townhouses together. So 2 master bedrooms became 1. That room needs that sectional and a writing desk and 2 chairs would be too small for the room. Since the room is long I wasn’t able to get a full picture of the room. Was just showing walls with carpet for help with picking a new paint color.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 6 años
    Try a sample of SW Sea Salt. It could solve your problem. Very pretty color. Works with most gray tones and has soothing effect in rooms.
  • Jill
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    When all the main painting was going on throughout the rest of the house I was hoping to use Sea Salt in a bathroom and a guest bedroom and when I put sample up it looked different than everyone said. It was supposed to look good according to all the reviews I saw but in my house it looks super light and like chaulk on the wall. Granted this master bedroom is a different area of the house though. The rest of the house is painted revere pewter. In the inspiration picture for this carpet the wall color was dark so that’s why I was thinking it would look nicer and richer looking to go darker paint color?
    Here’s the carpet picture from ad plus a couple more pictures of the room.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 6 años
    Your drapery looks like a good color. On monitors colors get weird. If the drapes work with carpet, match that color on walls. On your experience with Sea Salt. Did you use SW Sea Salt? BM has a Sea Salt too but it is much more gray with darker undertones. Just wondering since you mentioned Revere Pewter which is BM. Don’t try to color match BM Paint. It won’t work. You need the brand because every brand has its own unique base colors and BM is full spectrum paint. You can get close but you can’t match perfectly.
  • mtsully
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Look at Benjamin Moore Gray Owl, Covington Gray, or Stonington Gray. All of them have blue undertones that would look nice with your new carpet.

• Jill
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    When I tried the sample of sea salt I had sherwin Williams make the sample can. Was so excited about it and then poof it didn’t look right in the other downstairs rooms.
    2 other bathroom colors I used that are dark that look good in the bathrooms with not a lot of light like this room that I’m not sure would look good in this bedroom are rockport gray and Chelsea great.
  • Jill
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    The silver color drapes are the same color almost as the previous carpet was. I’m open to changing the drapes. Now they stand out more but in a different way. I got them at zgallerie. I could always pick up different ones as they are just ok to me. Don’t love and don’t hate them. The right paint color for this room will make a huge difference. I think it’s way off now. Help :)
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 6 años
    You might test out BM Kendall Charcoal for dramatic deep color.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 6 años
    The honey toned wood furniture doesn’t work well with colors so i would try moving away from the nightstands and dressers or try some chalk paint to change the color. Change a few things like the night stands and lamps first. I think the lighting in your room is also impacting color. I would try silk wrapped bulbs in the chandelier and white shades on new lamps.
  • User
    hace 6 años

Jill agradeció a User
  • btydrvn
    hace 6 años
    The pics of the rug vary a lot in color...and in view of your water location ....I would take a rug swatch to a quality paint store that has a color expert and look for a light blue that goes with the rug...moving out of the gray theme more into water colors in general will offer lots of nice changes as the natural light changes in the room...if blue is not not your color...even white would bring more contrast with the darker elements and a fresher feel to the room....p.s.....love your doggie story...any accommodation to their needs is worth all the unconditional love they bring to our lives....
  • Jill
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Unfortunately I don’t like white walls. Seems very track home feeling or like a motel to me. I’ve seen some whites though in pictures that I do like lately but not wanting to risk and try white now
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 6 años

What color is that in your tray ceilings? Have you checked other colors on that same color strip card? You could always go with a lightened up version of that color.

• User
    hace 6 años

Jill, I borrowed your pic just to show you some of the colors although they may not be right in their truest hue

this is what Flo suggested

This one is Serious Gray

This one is Sensuous Gray although it has a little bit of a purple hue.

• redsilver
    hace 6 años

Sensuous Gray for the match. Matching the drapes will make the room feel most spacious too. And you really don't need another hue in the room probably. Very pretty match.

• User
    hace 6 años

The wall around the bend from your dresser is that closet or nothing. I was thinking maybe you can place the chest there

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 6 años
    Nice mocks Claire! I always like drapery matching or close to wall color. The elephant in the space is the sectional. Could you put slipcover in a different color. Blue or gray? It would help it visually fit in better since puppy needs it. Might be able to slowly reduce the size by removing a piece at a time and giving the dog some cushions from it to keep him/her comfy.
  • btydrvn
    hace 6 años
    I don’t think a new wall color is going to solve your problem.....it is very difficult to see what this space looks like from the pics but
  • btydrvn
    hace 6 años
    this is an elegant room...chandeliers...ceiling details...trims...the furniture is all over the place...different styles...woods....colors...casual...and all the permanent elements say formal...
  • btydrvn
    hace 6 años
    To me it would be worth sacrificing some space for a full out dressing room/ walk-in closet so you can lose all the chests and storage pieces for more open space in the room...
  • btydrvn
    hace 6 años
    If you have two bathrooms...maybe just expand separate walk-ins...with each bath
  • Jill
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Thanks everyone so far. There are very large walk in closets in the room. If I didn’t keep the bedroom furniture the walls would be empty. I know the bedroom furniture is old color wise and eventually needs to be replaced to be picture perfect. We just joined 2 townhouses and put most all our budget on the rest of the House because no one ever comes up to the master bedroom. The chandelier wasn’t originally intentional, it was put there when the other house was for sale to exclude from the purchase since it was my parents before we decided to join the 2 townhouses.
    Also, it’s not going to be too easy to get this furniture down 2 flights of stairs and so since it wasn’t important and the rest of the House was...I put all the money in the rest of the house.
  • Jill
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    I’ll eventually tackle the bedroom furniture as everything else is new and contemporary in the house but for now I just want to change that paint color and somehow tie everything else in and “ignore” the yellow sectional and the cabinets color. It was a year of construction and living thru it. To replace all this bedroom furniture would have been another $5-7k.
    The bed and lamps are new, the rest isn’t
  • btydrvn
    hace 6 años
    There is obviously lots of stuff going on for you now...and too much more change may be overwhelming...but old habits are hard to shake....when you are used to smaller rooms it feels right to have more furniture on the walls...because you have to....if you have two big walk-ins try just putting a chest in each one...embrace the extra breathing space and enjoy having all your stuff in your closet...
  • btydrvn
    hace 6 años
    Empty walls are good....for art...mirrors...etc...
  • btydrvn
    hace 6 años
    Once you choose a color just change pillows and throws on sectional and bed and puppy couch to match the walls.....and it will all tie together once all the mismatched chests are gone
  • Jill
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    The puppy couch is the maroon one in front of the bed :))

Even if those pieces of furniture are out of there I still don’t like the current paint color.

Not sure if I should do a blue gray as in the pictures mock up or just a deep gray like I did in 2 of the bathrooms:
    Rockport gray or Chelsea gray will work?
  • btydrvn
    hace 6 años
    Sorry I meant the new accents to match the “new” wall color...whichever you choose...this will tie in all the elements together.....tho I wish you could embrace a little more color than gray for the walls....with all that glory of mother nature’s view it seems a shame to be too understated in the wall color
  • btydrvn
    hace 6 años
    If gray is your desire the “sensuous” color matches the drapes well but in that picture the rug looks beige-ish?.....in this case some matching gray and white pillows and gray throws on the furniture you could be on your way to a quick monochromatic fix
  • btydrvn
    hace 6 años
    The colors in the pics are so unreliable ....maybe just match the curtains for wall color...get gray and white pillows and gray throws(for puppy couch ,too...our doggies love the fur throws) to tie it all together ...easy peasy monochromatic look til you get more energy and $ to create your dream Master bedroom...
  • redsilver
    hace 6 años

Reading your story makes me think you should probably just go get new drapery panels that bring the hue in your wall and your carpet together in some fashion. Much easier than repainting the entire room. That said, (don't hit us all! LOL) I went searching for about half hour exploring a wallpaper that would blend your carpet and your wall/drapes.... Even tried to find something with a lavender in it as the initial post suggested, as well as your similar carpet and wall....but ...at any rate...this is pretty nice, and it might bring your carpet and your walls into harmony? I would only put it behind your bed wall, I thought, but if you liked it you might put it on one wall in your sitting area, also. There are many beautiful wall papers out there, and they are easier to remove than they used to be if you tire of it. They go up faster than repainting, also, and don't mess the rug up either...You might see what you can find in a wallpaper or just go find new curtains as you suggested to bring it all together..<https://www.burkedecor.com/products/sample-equinox-cork-print-wallpaper-in-dark-blue-by-ronald-redding-for-york-wallcoverings>; Even tho the pattern is not a simple one, just having 3 shades...blue, gray, cream in it...makes it less hectic than others. There is alot of pretty papers here and in places you have seen likely.<https://www.burkedecor.com/products/sample-criss-cross-wallpaper-in-pale-blue-design-by-carey-lind-for-york-wallcoverings>; This one might work, the pattern colors might not be what you need...

• Jill
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    I’m so open to wallpaper. Thank you for your help so far.
    When I click on the 2 links you provided an error comes up and I can’t see what you are showing me. What color alternate drapes do you suggest? I’d rather get ready made ones but 108’s are sometimes tricky to find.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 6 años
    Having moved 18 times, i can empathize with where you are right now! I moved drawers into walk in closets and git rid of space hog dressers. You would be amazed at how much more convenient it is. Painting is so disruptive that i would hate for you to do that when in the end you might have to paint again. The carpet looks pretty dark on my monitor, bed is dark, sectional is dark so consider how overall dark you want the room to go.
  • redsilver
    hace 6 años

Oh that makes me so frustrated when the links dont work. Let me find the pattern number and style and than maybe you can go to that website and search it out. I am sorry. Yes, you can look on line for the 108 drapes. I found mine at Tuesday Morning outlet! LOL Wayfair, JCPenney and another one often have them. I will try to find them too... and post here.

• btydrvn
    hace 6 años
    Love the idea of drapes with print in combo of existing wall and carpet color...
  • redsilver
    hace 6 años

Burke Decor 2018...https://www.burkedecor.com   SKU Sample LC7139 and SKU Sample EB2020 were the 2 patterns. I thought the first number here was a better color match, but when you stand from a distance, the EB 2020 might be more your style? or might blend nicely the surfaces in your room. Oh my, that website is full of patterns and if you go there, just select wallpaper, and than on the hourglass in the upper right below the black header, click that, a Search box in black will appear several inches lower and you can type in the numbers. Not the cheapest wallpaper there is, but if the sample you order doesn't match your budget, but does match your room..you have a great sample to carry in and out of the stores you can see in person. The texture of the 'cork' in the EB7139 is also very interesting. While the glow of the subdued metallic in the EB2020 will make more light in the room. You will enjoy looking at all their patterns and maybe find more that you would prefer. On to, the drape search shortly..Oh, they have a live chat pop up window too so that will let you ask questions if you have color names you want them to find for you to shorten your search..

• redsilver
    hace 6 años

Burke may have a fabric that is the same pattern too??? and you might find a way to use a bit of that for toss pillows on the bed and the sitting area or other decor...It seems to be a pretty nice store online.

• redsilver
    hace 6 años

Well,I found these. They have alot of built in features like a lining for insulation value and another for room darkening value, which is really nice in a bedroom..., but you may feel the grommets make them casual?? I love mine, they move easily. This pair says the fabric is elegant and it appears to have a sheen to it....If the pattern is not good with other conflicts like wallpaper that you might decide on, this is just a start. I will be on the look for more..https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/628755-valeron-lustre-grommet-top-108-inch-window-curtain-panel-blue.html ... ---Valeron Lustre Grommet Top 108-Inch Window Curtain Panel in Ivory---at BB&B website... I like this one in blue, and it has some gray in it... Actually the print in these drapes mimics the grain in your carpet! You planned it that way, right??

• redsilver
    hace 6 años

https://www.wayfair.com/decor-pillows/pdp/brewster-home-fashions-symetrie-frequency-ogee-33-x-205-geometric-wallpaper-bzh6445.html?piid=15651703    Wayfair.com has this great wallpaper, that mimics the lines in your carpet...it comes in various shades. It would not go with the curtains above, but not able to tell for sure...I think it would bring your current drapes, walls, and carpet together nicely, if you wanted to feature it on the wall behind your bed and maybe one in your sitting area also? That is up to you. IF it is the tone of a warm taupe, with gray, and a neutral that blends with your trim, it might save you painting and...it has a lavender option ?? and it has a turquoise option. Enjoy ,there is so much wallpaper to look thru. Mimicing the pattern in your carpet with the wall paper, might work things out for you? If I find more that might work with the curtains I found, I will let you know. I always love a pretty grasscloth wallpaper, but the one that I did find was not the right blue the drapes had, and the other with a taupe and a gray and a blue thread, was sold out. There may be lots of brands that would offer it also...Grasscloth could be perfect if the color blend is right for the drapes, and the walls and the carpet..

Symetrie Frequency Ogee 33' x 20.5" Geometric Wallpaper is the color (6)Grey on wayfair.com is the link I posted above, in case it does not work as a live link. Such fun and so many pretty options. OH!!!! It's on sale also - 47% off the regular price...

• Jill
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Redsilver.....I love this wallpaper you found. It coordinates with existing wall color also. I didn’t know Wayfair sold wallpaper :)))

Now just gotta decide how many walls to put wallpaper on :))
  • redsilver
    hace 6 años

Well, at that price it could sell out. LOL I love it too, The pattern is very soothing and gentle, great for a bedroom. And if the colors are true, it should bring your existing drapes and carpet and walls together nicely. You got me looking to change things up a bit, too. It seems like they are a nice place to do business, just be sure you order enough the first time cause their supplies go out in waves and I have read that sometimes things do arrived damaged, but you might check their recent comments to help you decide. You might find that pattern locally since you have a designer and all, but probably not for that price, right? Let us know how it turns out, if you have time. Sounds like you are probably getting a bit weary from all the ups and downs of the big project I imagine. Good luck in all ways!!

• Jill
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    The project is done for the most part. Thankfully. The contractors pulled out about a month ago. Just little items on the punch list. When we started we had a designer involved but early on we had to discontinue working with them and finish any colors or touches on our own. The designers were dragging their feet for months holding up the project. The general contractor said it was crazy and the designers had to go yet we got the general contractor from the designers so at least something good came out of this. The general contractor was amazing. The designers had too many jobs at one time
  • PRO
    Storm Interiors
    hace 6 años
    • Love light silver blues for bedrooms. So calming.

• Here are my faves:

• Benjamin Moore (BM) Quite Moments #1563

• a very soft, muted gray with a hint of blue and a tiny touch of green.

• BM Blue Lace #1625

• BM Harbor Haze #2136-60

• Hope this helps!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 6 años
    I love that wallpaper too. I would just do wall behind bed. Get a sample first if you can. Or make sure you completely understand their return policy.
  • redsilver
    hace 6 años

https://www.brewsterwallcovering.com/2625-21850-grey-ogee.aspx    I found the company. They have many nice patterns. I like this one tho in your pretty room, too...and Wayfair price...now that this is on this site...get it ordered....when you determine what you need. I think it is going to be great. Glad your end of the rainbow is in site, by the way. A great summer ahead!! :D

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.