Houzz Logo Print
karen_mikolainis

Initial ideas for bathroom update, comments welcome

Karen Mikolainis
hace 6 años

I am going to update our powder room, inexpensively. Durability and ease of cleanig are very important. I will paint the existing simple built in vanity with dark gel stain. Here is what I am thinking for products so far. I need to pick flooring and a countertop and lighting. I love oil rubbed bronze, but I like how durable chrome is, so I am thinking of having a chrome faucet but dark lights and accessories. Any suggestions are welcome! I am trying to imagine how it will all work together.

=========================================

American Standard round front skirted toilet, about $303

Kohler Vox rectangle sink, about $200, or Kohler reve sink about $380. Which one?

Generic 30 x 40 mirror I got from WalMart for $15 (can change if needed but it was a steal)

Vigo Nico Faucet , Chrome, about $150

I want a light color solid surface countertop, maybe Corian rain cloud, or solid white

I need small mini pendant lighting.

A paint color I like from grabbed samples at HD is Behr Dolphin Fin (light gray). It's pretty neutral.

Comentarios (21)

• Karen Mikolainis
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Corian Clam Shell counter? I'm guessing this is a warmer grey/beige.

I wonder if the Burled Beach will be too brown/gold, I like browns but am thinking this room would be more warm gray. But I like this swatch. I think Rain Cloud might be too gray. That said, I want to stick with a classic white sink and toilet.

The built in oak vanity that's now a golden orange will be stained darker.

This Behr Dolphin Fin. My room has a warm oak door. This may or may not be the final paint shade, but I'm liking a light easy gray. The powder room has no windows.

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    hace 6 años

I like the last countertop best.

Karen Mikolainis agradeció a gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
  • Karen Mikolainis
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

I want to do luxury vinyl tile flooring, Here are a few samples. I am unsure of coordinating the counter with the floor. Overall, I think our house has a warm, natural, slightly masculine feel. The powder room is small.

Core Tec Chords. Possibly too light .

I think I love this one. Mannington's new AudraMax Spalted Wytch Elm in Soil. It might be too busy.

Fake slate? This will be warm. I need to see real life samples.

• User
    hace 6 años

I would stick with cool colors. The second sink looks easier to clean and will rinse out easier. The flat handles and spouts on faucets get waterspotted easier than rounded styles because the water drops collect on them. Also consider that after you put in all that new, contemporary stuff, will your oak vanity look old and tired? I've seen Java stained oak vanities and they don't appear modern just because they have a new gel stain.

Karen Mikolainis agradeció a User
  • enduring
    hace 6 años

I think you should get another faucet because of the open spout, and as Mayflowers says, the flat surfaces show water spots. The open spot is high maintenance because of spotting and lime depositing on the spout floor.

You need to get all your samples together and in the room before you can tell what goes with what color wise. Everything you've picked is lovely, but you might not be happy with a certain combo. Is your lighting changing from what you have now? Cause lighting will throw colors off too.

I think if your overall home has a slight masculine feel, maybe the powder room is a place you could go more feminine for a change of pace. It might. be a lot of fun. I think powder rooms are the most exciting places to see when I visit friends. They are often little surprises and treasure boxes.

Karen Mikolainis agradeció a enduring
  • Karen Mikolainis
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thanks, I am concerned about ease of cleaning, and sink #2 is less expensive. The Reve would be more of a focal point but I'd have to clean the underside and that sounds like a pain. I'm not necessarily going for a modern look. My house, where I've chosen everything over the years, is nearly all warm colors, tan, brown, cream, navy, black, gold, oil rubbed bronze, and so I think I'm going for neutral or neutral/warm. I love white and gray in everybody else's photos but I inherited warm/orange oak woorwork and chose cream and ORB for my own kitchen cabinets. The oak vanity is from when the house was built in 1969, it has flat panel fronts, and is very simple and basic. I think it's in good enough shape to keep it in, but if I don't love how it looks after I stain it I can replace it. I'd rather not go through the expense and waste of discarding the vanity if I don't have to.

• Karen Mikolainis
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

OK, I will pick a different faucet. Faucets are hard! If I were to go for a surprise look, I might make the room super dark, but I'm not sure my spouse would be happy with that.

• enduring
    hace 6 años

Be sure you faucet is not too high off the sink. When I was getting faucets I noticed that the end of the spout was typically about 3-4" higher than the rim of the sink. I went with that as a guideline. Start exploring at a kitchen bath show room. I also found it helpful to have a long enough spout so that it wasn't crowded towards the back of the sink. You don't want to have to be ramming your hands into the sink back, to get them rinsed because the stream of water is an inch from the sink back, lol. My sister had a cute faucet installed in the corner of her vanity, with a total remodel of her bathroom, and that is an issue for her. The bathroom remodelers should have known better IMO.

• User
    hace 6 años

The first sink, the faucet, and the java stain are all contemporary styles. Modern means it looks like it was designed in this century. A modern vanity would be around 34" tall and you would not see the face frame of the cabinet box around the doors and drawers.

I think Java gel stain is past trend and if you're going to update, does it make sense to update it to something that was popular several years ago? I can't remember the last time I saw anyone using espresso cabinets in a kitchen remodel. What about something like Antique Walnut? This photo shows one and two coats of General Finishes gel stain. I like the richer color and the grain.

• Karen Mikolainis
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

I can take a look at Antique Walnut, and I'll post a photo of the vanity later.

Here's a photo of a bath I like, it's more farmhouse feeling.

Modern Farmhouse Bathroom · Más información

I am thinking of adding bead board behind the vanity and mirror.

I also like this look but I think a wood counter would be a real pain. I am looking for indestructable finishes. My vanity is between two walls like this one is.

Chapman Trail, Lake Keowee, SC · Más información

I've always liked this photo but I don't want to lock into using tile.

Seeley Master Bath B · Más información

• Karen Mikolainis
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

I think the mix of neutrals and pattern in this photo is beautiful.

Dream Room 2014 · Más información

• User
    hace 6 años

I have that herringbone tile photo saved too! It looks great with the marble backsplash/shelf with the ogee edge.

If the vanity is that small, it wouldn't cost much to replace the doors (and drawer fronts if it has them), even in a Shaker style. Raw unfinished wood would take the stain better.

• Karen Mikolainis
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

I think *everybody* has saved that herringbone tile photo! It might have been one of the most popular on Houzz or something like that.

We have hard water (despite having a softener) and it's horrible, it will ruin surfaces, so that's why I want Corian, or a similar non shiny solid surface, so I can scrub and sand as needed. We put granite in this half bath during our first "update" and the poor stuff was ruined and it looks horrible. So now I'm all about solid surface, it's nearly maintenance free, but the colors and styles are limiting. Having the large vessel sink will really help keep water off the counter but our house gets a lot of hard use so I think I need to be cautious with materials.

• Karen Mikolainis
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

This is the vanity. It is basic and I think staining it dark will help it serve as a background item. Then the light counter and sink and stuff above can shine.

• Karen Mikolainis
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

I looked at Home Depot Countertops today and ended up looking at... laminate. It might be just fine, and I don't want to overspend on this project. I have plenty of other projects to take care of too! Here are some that I like. But I am not sure what direction I'm going in style-wise? Do we call this transitional?

Formica Fantasy Marble (matte)

The contract is less and the color is more warm gray in my sample

Formica Classic Crystal Granite (this Houzz photo is stunning, I love it.)

9284 Classic Crystal Granite 180fx® by Formica Group · Más información

And here is a third, Formica Spring Carnival

Wilsonart® · Más información

I like both. The Classic Crystal has a glossy textured finish, while the marble is matte and might be a little more current, finish-wise. What do you think?

I am trying to imagine with a vessel sink, and I am thinking of maybe doing this antique gold color for fixtures instead of chrome.

Mini pendant lighting

And maybe a Delta Trinsic Faucet with the rectangle sink?

Delta Trinsic Single Handle Vessel Bathroom Faucet, Champagne Bronze, 759-CZ-DST · Más información

• enduring
    hace 6 años

Faucet is nice. Fun color. You’ll have to be sure to wipe things down carefully to prevent hard water build up. Chrome is the most durable finish. But I love the color of the Delta faucet you post.

Are the pendants just for general lighting? I do like those too. Put on a dimmer for softest lighting options at night when guest are present for a glamorous experience, :)

nothing wrong with laminate! I’d be sure that a vessel sink can be mounted onto the product and the underlayment that the Formica is attached to .

you have very good taste so let you’re designer heart guide you in your choices. Who cares if it’s transitional or traditional or modern. If things “play well together” I’d do it. And remembering your limitations as you identified.

• PRO
    LaDyne Design
    hace 6 años

In your original post you'd expressed interest in mixing oil rubbed bronze with chrome. Also in your pix above you liked the Farm house rustic style. Here's an example with all of those elements (and the rest of the bath is all chrome).

There is a pleasant juxtaposition from mixing rustic/distressed with modern/sleek. For example the reclaimed lumber vanity is paired with square edge extra thick counter top and single hole faucet (both modern). Good luck!

Rustic Modern - Distressed Vanity · Más información

Karen Mikolainis agradeció a LaDyne Design
  • User
    hace 6 años

The first thing you should do is get your floor and counter picked out so they coordinate. They really need to in a small room. There are very few choices in LVT--laminate too--and I found it was very hard to get counter and floor to work well together when I had to use LVT tile. I had all the granite and quartz available to me too. I gave up on my master bath two years ago because of that and am now restarting the process.

• Karen Mikolainis
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

OK, thanks for the great feedback everybody. I went to our local flooring store today and found that Mannington AudraMax Meridien in either Fossil or Stucco would look good with the Formica Classic Crystal Granite laminate counter. I think I have decided on everything, except the pendant lights, which are the only lighting in the room, and I'm afraid of screwing up the look with the pendants. Also, torn between the Champagne Bronze color for faucet and lights, or sticking with a chrome faucet and then some other lights. Then I need to think accessories. I'm getting closer.

These both come in squares, rectangles or planks. I want them without grout for ease of cleaning.

• User
    hace 6 años

Here is Formica Classic Crystal Granite. I could see either of those floors working with it. Check that the undertones are the same.

I have Armstrong Alterna LVT and it's grouted. They use a special grout and it doesn't get dirty like regular grout. I even grouted in beige. I like that the grout makes it look more like ceramic tile and less like sheet vinyl. I went with the lightest and quietest floor in their line--Multistone in White. It has a faint amount of blue-gray and tan so it's versatile. I could see it working with your counter. I like 16" squares because I don't like directional tile in small rooms. My vanity is Kraftmaid Kaffe stain on cherry. Chrome faucet.

I'm going to use the same floor in my master bath. It actually goes better with that granite.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.