Houzz Logo Print
jasmine_almeida

Just bought this beauty....what next!?

Jasmine Almeida
hace 6 años
We just bought a home for our family of 5 in North Carolina!

Would love ideas on how to modernize the space! House built in 94. I want to update the floors, paint, and eventually renovate the kitchen, expand the master bedroom and add a screened in porch. I don’t know much about floors - could these be stained a grey-ish color or something dark? Any paint color suggestions? I was thinking of doing the walls grey, keeping the beachy/seaside vibe that’s going on!

*^furniture is belonging to current owners. I will be purchasing all new furniture!!**

Any and all suggestions much appreciated!

Comentarios (16)

• Jasmine Almeida
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    More pics
  • chispa
    hace 6 años

Looks like a well kept house. You have a neo-colonial and I'm not seeing a beachy/seaside vibe in the photos.

What do you mean by modernize the space?

If the floors are wood they should be able to be sanded down and re-stained. A dark color will show every speck of dirt and dust. Light floors are coming back in ... and gray walls are on their way out!

• Jasmine Almeida
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Thank you! I guess I just got a beachy feel from the colors. And knowing I’m moving from the Midwest to a few hours from the coast, haha! Do you think the floors and walk colors look good as is? It just felt a little dated to me.
  • chispa
    hace 6 años

The beige reads a bit peachy, but that could be the photo or my monitor. With the light floors and what seems like a fair amount of natural light, you could probably go just a bit darker with your wall colors and not make the rooms feel dark, but give them some more depth.

• arcy_gw
    hace 6 años

What a beautiful home. The kitchen could use some color. Except that there are no pendants over the island, nothing looks dated to my eyes. I think you floor are gorgeous. Pictures don't show wear and tear. Are they not in good shape? They are a classic color, graying the will just date them and assure you will be doing them again. How fun all new furnishings!! I would spend my money there and leave the bones as is!!

• chispa
    hace 6 años

Have you gone through Houzz photos and saved things you like (and dislike) in your Ideabooks? Make different Ideabooks for different rooms and plan to spend an hour a day for the next few weeks to come up with a good collection of ideas. This will give you a good starting point.

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Lovely house. Please do not paint the walls gray in an attempt to update it. As chips and Penny mentioned, gray is well on its way out of favor as a just because color- choose it if you love it and have always loved it- not because you have been looking at it for years on end.

I would paint the walls a pretty white. Refinish the floors if they need it and focus on your rugs and furniture, curtains and accessories.

You may want to check out Laurel Bern's excellent interior decorating blog for inspiration and great tips. Her writing is entertaining and her choices are classic and fresh.

Congratulations on the beautiful house!

• Jasmine Almeida
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Thank you so much! A fresh coat of white paint sounds easy enough. I keep thinking I need to add some sort of wallpaper or accent wall. Focusing on the furniture sounds like a good start.
  • nosoccermom
    hace 6 años

Look at Sherwin Williams Creamy or Benjamin Capitol White. Another white I recently used was BM Simply White --- it works really well in bright rooms.

• RaiKai
    hace 6 años

Pretty house! It looks well cared for which will be a big win as the new owners.

I don’t get a beach vibe at all though - but the trees are a pretty view too!

Not sure what you mean “modernize”, to me it reads more traditional due to all the arches and crown than modern.

I would not go gray. To me that house calls for lots of light - maybe look at a lovely white with variety in bedrooms, etc.

The kitchen does need some colour though, in my opinion. To me it looks a bit “stark” at moment, but a lot can be done with your seating, window coverings, and changing the fan likely. I will let others give their input on that as that is not my wheelhouse (blind leading blind and all that!).

• Denita
    hace 6 años

"A fresh coat of white paint sounds easy enough."

OP, there are many whites. So it isn't quite as easy as it sounds. Here are a few brief storybooks to get you started on choosing the right white for your walls if you choose to go in that direction.

I agree with the others, no gray. You can even go for colors in your rooms. Consider living in your space first to plan and see which direction is right for you.

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/how-to-choose-a-paint-color-you-can-live-with-stsetivw-vs~95503956

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/dare-to-choose-a-more-colorful-neutral-stsetivw-vs~235431

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/how-to-pick-the-right-white-paint-stsetivw-vs~416809

By the way, your floors are perfect the way they are right now. Classic and light.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    hace 6 años

SO glad that gray has been voted out. :-) I sent the pics to my large monitor used for work and the wall look to be a clean, soft beige, not peachy, as they appear on my home laptop. The floors are beautiful.

Wait til you get your new furniture, and come back and show us pics then, if you still think you need to repaint.

• jill302
    hace 6 años

Beautiful home! The wood color is very classic, and is certainly the easiest to maintain with kids. I agree with other posters that the beige in the dining room is a bit peachy, otherwise the house is fabulous. Look forward to seeing how you choose to decorate it.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    hace 6 años

I would first of all get a much larger rug and base your color scheme on that. For this style of house the white furniture doesn't really seem appropriate. I would get a patterned rug, perhaps an Oriental, and pull the colors for the furniture from that. That coffee table looks rather dated and for you I'd choose a glass and metal one, which will also show off the rug more. It really depends on what your true style is, and that may be something you need to decide first. Look at Houzz and Pinterest pictures of living rooms and pin down what you really love before buying anything. Maybe "beachy" is your style, but just be sure that you're really certain in which direction you want to go. The house should reflect your personality and interests, and not just be another cookie-cutter interior that you see everywhere. Good luck! It's such a nice house.

• PRO
    Roald Smith Construction Inc
    hace 6 años
    Hi Jasmine. it looks like stunning house. I have seen some awesome floor redone in matt finish. this hides the dirt and imperfections quite well. The house seems to have so much natural light that creates so much opportunity as my architect says it is only free thing you get in house. use warm colors on walls where you want to create a warm and cozy feeling. Remember you can always paint a house if you do not like the colour you choose. Last bit from me is get a idea of what you are going to buy for furniture as this can also balance the feeling of the house. I work with interior designers a lot and I think they are worth every penny. Choosing some one if you do is like any other business relationship. If you do not feel a connection try someone else. Hope this helps. beautiful house. take care
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.