Houzz Logo Print
mommabearof5

perception of house size as building progresses

E K
hace 6 años

I have heard people say that when the foundation is poured, the house appears much smaller than you expect. Just curious how that plays out through the various stages of house building? Framing of outer walls vs. interior wall framing vs. drywall, etc.

Comentarios (31)

• hemina
    hace 6 años
    I felt like it was tiny with just foundation. A little bigger but still small with just framing, a bit bigger feeling after the plywood went up. Not to drywall yet so we’ll see!
    E K agradeció a hemina
  • hemina
    hace 6 años
    *no drywall yet
  • cpartist
    hace 6 años

Honestly I don't remember all the stages and when it felt too big and too small, but now with it almost finished, it feels just right.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

“When there is an empty site it looks perfect.
    When the hole is dug it looks big.
    When the foundation goes in it looks small.
    When the first floor sheathing is put on it looks big.
    When the stud walls go up it looks small.
    When the gypsum board is installed it looks big.
    When the furniture goes in it looks small.
    When you write the final check it looks huge.” - me

• E K
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Interesting.....they put the first floor sheathing on ours today and it seems HUGE! Love the last part. :) LOL

• lshack17
    hace 6 años
    We walked a model home and loved the floorplan. We built the same floorplan, same upgrades, only difference was the plan was flipped for our lot. I swore out house was smaller because I was used to everything being on the opposite side from being in the model. I even took a tape measure and compared the two houses. I was wrong, the builder didn't make us a smaller house. It was the same, ours was even slightly bigger in some areas. Now that I am used to our house it feels like the model in terms of size.
  • annied75
    hace 6 años
    @lshack -- I had to laugh when I read your comment. When my husband and I built a few years ago, we were out at the site with our tape measure too! It looked too small to fit all of the rooms in the plan, but everything measured out correctly.
  • dazureus
    hace 6 años

Our footing looked small when they poured it and started to stack the ICF forms. Turns out it was too small and they had to extend the footing and reset the ICF. Luckily I caught it before they poured the concrete. After that, it looked smaller than I expected up until drywall was hung. When the walls aren't up, you only have the world to establish scale. When the studs are up, you can see through the whole house, so the rooms feel small. When the drywall is up, you can start to appreciate the size of the room.

• RaiKai
    hace 6 años

@lshack17

Your comment gave me a bit of a laugh as this is what I predict will happen for us. We are building a modified model plan from a builder and our lot requires driveway/garage on left side (when facing lot from street). The original model we planned to build on the lot, the model showhome we toured had the layout with driveway/garage on left and we loved it and specifically wanted that layout as when we looked at the reverse model, the flow did not feel right. Well, we changed the whole model home we are building on lot (I have the change order to prove it, ha) and have only been able to tour 2-3 models that are all the “reverse” from what we are building. I think it will still work out as the front door is on right, which we prefer, but everything else is “flipped”. I think it will be a little disconcerting at first! Fortunately a competitor builder has a reasonably similar floor plan, just smaller, in one of their show homes we toured so it won’t feel totally foreign! Maybe if I visit that enough times during the build mine will feel far more spacious?!

My lot is small (0.14 acres) compared to many building on here, though almost 2x size of many lots around me but it already seems kinda of small when I go look at it. Maybe as the only other house so far in that new phase is right next door and a big house for a new model build around here (3,000sq ft on first and second floors, plus full basement ) and their house takes up much of their 0.20 acre pie lot: it makes ours look smaller! Stake out is this week, and dig not long after, so I’ll have to see as I go if rest of @Mark Bischak ‘s mantra holds true!

• lshack17
    hace 6 años
    Rai Kai I meant, auto correct got me! !:)
  • PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    hace 6 años

Homes under construction appear small because you don't have familiar reference points. It helps if there are two of you, standing at opposite ends of a room, to give you familiar visual reference points. Try laying down in your new bedroom and looking at the distance from your feet to the far wall!

• htwo82
    hace 6 años

Mark nailed it.

• RaiKai
    hace 6 años

@lshack17 - thank you, and very wise advice I need to keep in mind! Still looking around led us to “revise” our deal once, with a minor cost in the scope of things (builder let us change just for the cost of first permit applications, etc), but this time we are definitely past that point of no return!

• Momma K
    hace 6 años

First floor framing went in today - it’s amazing how different it feels! Yesterday was just the floor in place. So exciting!!

• Pinebaron
    hace 6 años

Don't even talk about it, I had reverse fear especially since my DW, DD and DS all felt I was crazy building this large home. When the site was excavated it looked big, when foundation was poured it looked bigger, when framing was done it looked even bigger and when exterior siding was done it looked crazy big; help came along following drywall then DW and DD both felt it was OK, thank the lord.

• E K
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Pinebaron - that's my issue....house seems *huge* right now. Even with the walls framed now. I am sure, like was mentioned above, that when the furniture gets moved in eventually that it will seem much smaller. We are building a house that is more than double the size of our current house (2,200 sq. ft. to about 4,800 with finished walk-out basement) so it is bound to feel big to me.) :o)

• Pinebaron
    hace 6 años

It will feel somewhat smaller when walls are done. In your case you may need a home twice the size of your current one and that is fine. Just be prepared to clean it.

• galore2112
    hace 6 años

I just poured the foundation and to me it looks huge.

• User
    hace 6 años
    Site seemed huge, forming seemed big, once forms off the concrete looked tiny, framing started and it seemed as expected, roof on and my goodness it is big but lovely. When I go into the partially framed inside house now it feels confusing as there are not starts and ends. It’s hard to visualize what is actually happening. But it looks like a house now so that feels awesome.
  • mrswaves
    hace 6 años
    Yes! So glad you posted this. Foundation and framing make the house look so small to me. Even my husband commented it seemed smaller than he thought. Not that we are building a big house anyway, but it def seems smaller at the moment.
  • Pinebaron
    hace 6 años

I have to admit, building a large house needs additional care and supervision while building, I should know. One can get away with minor flaws in a smaller house like in foundation, framing, walls, ceilings, especially flat ones, etc.; larger homes with several smaller rooms or multi story large homes are fine too however when you have few rooms, larger rooms and larger spaces, you are likely to have longer wall sections, longer and wider ceilings which the best framers and drywallers have trouble getting it true and right. Having said that, depending on interior decor, most flaws can be hidden behind paintings, coffered ceilings, exposed beams, cabinets and a million other things; remove those million other things and it gets much harder, yep, that's our home.

• mrswaves
    hace 5 años
    Interesting, I wouldn’t think of that usually. My parents built their [large] house in the 90’s and had a lot of issues during the build. ALL Windows ordered were smaller than contract and model home specified, among other things. My grandfather was on site almost daily basically making sure the builders were doing what they were supposed to do. Now as we build our [much smaller] home, I find myself tempted to visit the site often, but we are still framing so I only go weekends when nobody is there.
  • Tenisha B.
    hace 5 años
    When our footings and foundation were poured, my husband and I swore that they did it wrong because it looked so much smaller. We even had them make our garage footings larger. Framing was done, and now my garage is humongous!!! I’m glad we didn’t have them change anything else. Now I will say that with all framing and windows done it’s starting to feel smaller again. Sheetrock will be done in the next week or so; I’m hoping I will feel better about the size then.
  • Carrie Barker
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

This is SO true! I was just writing a blog post that included this fact in it. Your house will feel very small at the framing stage. Once the drywall goes up, your rooms will feel bigger. Caroline on Design

• PRO
    Martina Collom Design
    hace 5 años

We are done with framing and our house is close to the road and looks huge to me! I was always worried when I was designing it that, that would be an issue. I am hopeful that when there is landscaping and siding it will push everything back in space- fingers crossed.

• E K
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Tenisha B - just curious if the sheetrock changed the appearance of the size? We have ours going up in a couple of weeks and I can't wait to see what it looks like then!! :o)

• Tenisha B.
    hace 5 años
    @mommabearof5 I wish I could answer that. Insulation is still not done . I wish all our subs got in and got out, but it’s a few hours here and there with these guys.
  • Tenisha B.
    hace 5 años
    @mommabearof5 have they started your sheetrock yet? Mine is just about done and my rooms feel small. My concern was my garage which still feels too large. I wish I had made some of my rooms larger now
  • artemis_ma
    hace 5 años

Too small when I saw the foundation. When the exterior logs started going up with nothing inside, way too large. It goes back and forth, back and forth, and hopefully ends up just right...

• E K
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Tenisha - no....it got pushed back and is now scheduled to start next Monday! Hopefully once you get some color on the walls and furniture moved in, it will be just right! :)

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.