Houzz Logo Print
krisbry

Vinyl in laundry/child's bath/guest bath of high end home?

Kristin S
hace 6 años

We're working on planning flooring materials for our new construction high end home. We'd originally planned on tile for the laundry room and all bathrooms, but now we're reconsidering. Vinyl would be a lot more comfortable on feet/legs in all these locations, particularly since floors won't be heated (whereas we're fine with tile for the master, which will be heated). Thoughts on using vinyl in these locations? The rest of the floors with be hardwood (solid or high quality - 4+mm wear layer - engineered) and carpet for bedrooms). Also, any thoughts on LVT (like Adura Max) v. sheet vinyl. LVT "feels" higher end, but there are some sheet vinyls that could be really fun...

Sheet Vinyl · Más información

Norkirk Rambler Addition · Más información

Comentarios (19)

• Kristin S
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

If I'm crazy and we should stick with tile, particularly for the bathrooms, please tell me that too. :-)

• homechef59
    hace 6 años

It's not high end if it's vinyl. No one stands in baths and laundries for long periods of time. Tile will be the way to go.

Kristin S agradeció a homechef59
  • rrah
    hace 6 años

We also purposely used sheet vinyl in our mudroom/laundry room. It's a slate-look vinyl. I didn't want to worry about the grout in tile or the dirt that would be tracked in on hardwood or some other surface. It's also dark enough that the inevitable dirt being tracked in isn't noticed as easily which keeps me sane.

I suspect it's because he didn't want to think about more tiles, but husband also decided he wanted vinyl in his office bathroom. His bathroom; his choice.

I understand concerns about what "is" expected in a high end house, but the cool thing about building is that you can do what you want.

Kristin S agradeció a rrah
  • lazy_gardens
    hace 6 años

I went through an ultra-high end home built in the 1870s ... finishes ranged from posh to plebeian depending on where the room was and who the users would be. Children’s room and baths and servants quarters were very practical, the guest and master's floor was luxurious and the public areas of the entertainment level was jaw-droppingly posh.

I would use whatever suits the FUNCTION of the room best - and unless the function is impressing visitors who will never even see the laundry, use what works best.

Kristin S agradeció a lazy_gardens
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    hace 6 años

I would venture to guess that the design of the flooring is usually more memorable than the material of the flooring.

• Mrs Pete
    hace 6 años

I have two all-tile bathrooms, and I am not overly fond of that material. It's cold to the foot and hard on aging feet and knees.

In contrast, I have vinyl in the kitchen, and occasionally I drop a bowl or plate -- and it doesn't break. If I had tile, this would be different.

I have tile in my classroom too, and I don't enjoy standing on it all day. It's a part of why I have Plantar Fascitis.

In my new house, I will have tile ONLY in the showers.

• cpartist
    hace 6 años

Look into Marmoleum which wears fabulously.

I have a friend who built a very expensive house on the water and put LVP throughout the house. It looks and feels wonderful. Do what works for you.

• Sam Goh
    hace 6 años

Our house isn't super high end, but we went with LVT in the kid's baths. Could have done tile but it was softer on the feet and just as good at... aiming accidents. Young boys... smh...

• mojomom
    hace 6 años

We put in LVP in a high-end home for the function with dogs and in a snowy climate and love it for function and comfort. We have stone flooring in the baths and laundry, carpet in the bedrooms and have whole house radiant heat. The stone conducts the heat the best and stays nice and toasty in the bathrooms. Like Mrs. Pete, I wouldn't like tile in the kitchen because it is so hard on your body to stand on for long periods and gives me a backache (for comparison we had tile in the kitchen in our old house for the last 17 years and before that we had sheet vinyl).

There are some really fun sheet vinyls out there. I wouldn't hesitate using a cool sheet vinyl in the mudroom, laundry and child's bath, but I would probably go with tile in the guest bath (even without heating -- guest baths are usually fairly compact and a couple of plush rugs will take the chill off).

• Bri Bosh
    hace 6 años
    I would be wary of offgassing and Pthalates especially in kid’s areas.
  • loobab
    hace 6 años
    Why not use linoleum?
    It is a natural sustainable product, comfortable on the feet and knees, warm, easy to take care of, durable, long lasting, and has been around a long time.
    (Marmoleum is a trade name for a linoleum.)
  • PRO
    Custom Home Resources
    hace 6 años

High-end sheet vinyl has enough texture these days to replicate the look of stone, tile, or wood without apology. We've used it for kitchen, laundry room, and bath applications for improved comfort and traction instead of tile. Consider your needs over a longer timeframe too. Hard, slippery surfaces can be a hazard for older visitors (and older pets). People often add throw rugs on top of tile in front of a kitchen or bathroom sink for warmth. But throw rugs are the first thing a home health aid will make you remove (for safety reasons) if you have an older person living with you who has compromised mobility or diminished eyesight. Vinyl provides just enough cushion that you can get by without the throw rugs if necessary. Enjoy your new home!

• homechef59
    hace 6 años

I'm not opposed to vinyl and I really like linoleum. They have their uses. As an appraiser, neither is considered high-end finish. Of course it's your home. Do what you want. But, don't expect it to be considered a high-end finish.

• just_janni
    hace 6 años

I would also make sure that your installer can make it look like the pictures, and finish it very nicely around the tub, etc. (Like DLM2000 says).

I would suspect the problem with sheet vinyl is more a problem with sheet vinyl installers than the product itself.

As long as the material looks and feels good (not shiny, good fit / finish) I would say go with what fits your needs.

Admittedly, I have a hard time getting past it in a high end home, but I am sure that is a result of my own experiences with it years ago - and not the current crop of products. (still - as homechef59 notes - could be an appraisal issue)

• Kristin S
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thanks all, this has been really helpful. I think we're going to split the difference and go with the vinyl for the laundry room and stick with tile for the bathrooms.

• Heather
    hace 6 años
    I have vinyl in my laundry room and it is great when my washtub floods (bad angle in the drain, ugh), easy to clean, and great on the feet.
  • User
    hace 6 años
    We are putting in LVP in our entire basement level including bathroom and self contained two bedroom suite that will rent for $2k a month. It will be kid proof, dog proof, good around water and look great. We are doing tile in mudroom and bathrooms upstairs though.
  • just_janni
    hace 6 años

Consider Vermont Slate for tiles. I have had to for years in all my bathrooms and my laundry room and it simply doesn't "feel" as cold as porcelain tile.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.