Houzz Logo Print
gerbil123

Room too bland??

Jenna Freeman
hace 6 años

Hello, I'd really like some advice on what to do with my room. It's small with built in wardrobe at the foot of the bed (not shown in pic). We built the dark grey wall at the head of the bed to give more cupboard space. The white door in the pic is the ensuite. I like the colours but feel it's too bland. I need to brighten it up but am at a loss to know how!! I don't want the dark grey wall looking too much like cupboards. I wondered about bringing in a blue somewhere but again, not sure where or how..I have played around with the layout of the throws but it just isn't enough...the dark grey wall needs sprucing up a bit i think!! Be glad of any ideas!! Thank you!

Comentarios (22)

• PRO
    Ian Palmer Architects
    hace 6 años

Small rooms are always a challenge especially
    when making them work for you. My first rule is to keep it simple.

The cupboard at the bed makes good use of
    space and adds a focus to the room, especially with the addition of lighting.

The mirror I like, but in the image, it appears
    overbearing for the space, have you considered instead using elegantly mounted
    pictures? I’d also consider painting the en-suite door and frame to make it
    less of a feature.
    The biggest opportunity is the upholstery. There is mix of contrasting fabric colours/tones and
    textures (bed head, throws, duvet, pillows and curtains) which could benefit
    from being harmonized to unite the room.
    Pick highlight colours and patterns in opulent fabrics so as to provide
    a consistent room theme. White and blues
    with a royal blue accent print would brighten up the room immeasurably!

• Jenna Freeman
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thank you Ian I appreciate your time. Do you think I should just leave the grey wall/cupboard as it is then?

• Carolina
    hace 6 años

Lovely room. I can see what Ian Palmer means about the mirror, but it is soooo gorgeous and I like the quirkiness it adds to the room. One thing that doesn't look right for me are the curtains. I think that white voile is better. Are you adding roller blinds to block the light? Or you could have roman blinds instead?

And the colour of the headboard seems off, but that might be the lighting. All in all, lovely room, doesn't look bland at all to me.

• Jenna Freeman
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thanks Carolina :) I am having wooden venetian blinds yes - the curtains were temporary,decor. I may decide to get rid or change them when the blinds come. Thanks so much for your comments I really appreciate it.

• PRO
    User
    hace 6 años

lovely room, very peaceful. You could if you really felt necessary add a blind to the window in the recess just to add a little more of your mustard colour in, however, I really think it's great as is.

• Jemma Todd
    hace 6 años
    Hi I love your room but if it was mine I would reupholster the headboard in a patterned fabric that ties in your colour scheme? Loads available and I think the addition of some cobalt blue would make the room perfect! Just added a few for inspo but there are thousands of blue/ochre/grey combinations available.
  • PRO
    Ian Palmer Architects
    hace 6 años

I suppose its down to money and effort, and indeed what other opportunities are available. If superficially the room activities aren't broken than I'd focus lavish fabrics.

• Jenna Freeman
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Thank you all very much for your advice and comments. I really appreciate your time. It's interesting no-one else thinks the wall is too bland...I think I'll try what you've suggested and add more opulent accessories to the bed. Thanks again.
  • A B
    hace 6 años
    To me it lacks pattern and personal touches but otherwise it’s perfect! I wonder if you could have a very small built in dressing table/shelf where the current mirror is? I’d have a smaller mirror above it and a patterned pouffe for sitting on. May not fit though
  • A S
    hace 6 años
    What a lovely room!
    By hanging the mirror up and changing the bulbs by the bed, i think it will make the room feel bigger and more airy...
  • A S
    hace 6 años
    It feels quite dark- but thats good in the evening when u want to feel peaceful
  • Patrina
    hace 6 años
    Beautiful room I do agree about adding some interest with a bit of pattern though.
  • Jenna Freeman
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    What are everyone's thoughts with this? obviously would need a second blue cushion and the painting would be on the door not balanced on a stool!! The painting is one of my own which I could do again for the other side of the bed also. Or just ignore the wall altogether as previously suggested! Thanks again for all your help!
  • chapss89
    hace 6 años
    Love it.
  • Julia Källén
    hace 6 años

Looks dreamy!

• minnie101
    hace 6 años

I prefer the changes, I might however try smaller oblong cushions with the pillows flat as the headboard is pretty much obscured. I'd add some books on the shelf and a small trailing plant. I'd also have a hanging plant in the corner by the mirror. Agree with painting the ensuite door. My personal preference would be for white bedding to break up the grey. I think I'd also go for patterned curtains. Can I ask though, were you wanting an industrial look? You don't have any ideabooks set up but can see you love that style.

• Jenna Freeman
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Thank you minnie101 I appreciate your time and suggestions. I do love industrial yes, but was finding it difficult to make a small bedroom cozy in that style.
  • minnie101
    hace 6 años

This might be quite a cosy look with the texture? Muted ochre velvet curtains (I can't quite work out how the cupboards open but obviously a curtain pole is already there, will it go wider?). The cushion in the last pic is from soho home which also comes in an oblong. A faux fur throw for the bed mixed with washed linen for bedding etc. Books and plants as before. I do really like your room as is though, especially with the changes, I just thought the textures were a bit more industrial and although it's simple is cosy but opulent. The curtains would just need to hover above the floor though and I wouldn't drape the throw all over the floor or it will make the room feel visually smaller

• E D
    hace 6 años

It looks lovely. What I'm struggling with a little is the 'shelf' as part of your built in storage (behind the bed).

It still looks a little office-like. As suggested before, possibly books will soften the look, or something else quirky and colourful looking. Sorry I don't really know what to suggest, but luckily there are many Houzzers that surely can :)

• PRO
    Erika V
    hace 6 años

Lovely room. My personal taste is saying: add a plant and personality ( patterns, wall art). Beautiful as a show home but lacking personality. If I do not check your profile I do not know who you are. Otherwise colour scheme as a base is lovely but needs some cherry on top.

• Jenna Freeman
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Thanks again for your comments. I've finally got it how I like it thanks to everyone's help! I realised I was getting away from the style I really like; comfy and relaxed. Everyone's comments and opinions have really helped.
    By filling out the shelf, your eye is taken off the bare walls either side. The bed in white is lighter, fresher and less formal. The curtains raised off the floor makes the room feel more spacious somehow.
    The bouquet on the right hand side of the shelf is my silk wedding bouquet and my pearl tiara is up there too, which is nice because before they were stuffed in a cupboard :-)
    So now, white Venetian blind on order, white duvet and pillows to order and one more blue hydrangea for the window sill :-)
    Thanks again for all your feedback and help!!
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.