Houzz Logo Print
angkb1124

Island update countertop size

Angela
hace 6 años
We are about to update the cabinet and island countertops. Our existing island is 38"×62". We are replacing the cooktop (36") with a new 36" gas cooktop. Presently, there is 13" on each side, and on the backside of the cooktop. When standing, facing the stove, the refrigerator is 33" from the right side of the counter. I'll replace it with a counter depth French or side-by-side refrigerator, which will add about 3"-6".

I'd like more room on each side of the cooktop. There's barely enough room for ingredients, much less a lid. It would be good to have a little more room for getting food in and out of the refrigerator.

I'm looking 2" on the backside of the countertop to a deeper cooktop. There's plenty of room for traffic on the non-cooking side, and on the left side of the cooktop to expand the size of the counter.

I'm considering 3" on the right side of the stove, 5"-7" on the left side, and 7 on the backside (non-cooking) side. I use the backside to put food that gos in and out of the microwave and oven, and the space, now, is barely adequate. We entertain often and occasionally that side is used for staging when we do buffet style serving.

I am uncomfortable and nervous with what is the ultimate size. Input would be appreciated!

Comentarios (35)

• Angela
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    I'm losing about 2 1/2" on the non-cooking side. Spellcheck!
  • chispa
    hace 6 años

Are you planning a vent hood over this 36" gas cooktop?

• Angela
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Sadly, there isn't a better place. We have large windows, and a brick wall that is chimney. There is, now, and we are replacing a downdraft vent that's on the island.
  • jhmarie
    hace 6 años

Perhaps the replacement of the wall oven and that area with a range - just throwing the thought out. Since I can't see the whole kitchen, I can't really advise and that would require some carpentry to make it work. If you post a few pictures of the whole space, there are some really good kitchen people here that might be able to help even if you must keep the stovetop in the island.

• Angela
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    We are installing new downdraft vent, replacing the one there. If you look closely you can see the vent top.
  • biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley)
    hace 6 años

How wide are the aisles surrounding the island currently? If you could draw a rough sketch of the entire kitchen with measurements that would be helpful.

• Buehl
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Could we see the entire Kitchen? To be honest, that cooktop in that island would drive me to remodel to get rid of it at almost any cost!

What you don't want to do is make your aisles so narrow that now it becomes a hazard to walk by the island while the cooktop is in use. (Billowing steam & smoke, splattering grease, etc., that a downdraft cannot easily/adequately capture and expel.)

• PRO
    Falk Designs, LLC
    hace 6 años
    Why go through the expense of running a gas line when induction cooking is a
    far more efficient, effective and safer way to cook. ..not to mention better looking! Also, the downdraft vent will pull the flames on the gas burners and will create scorching hot spots on you cookware. I've seen it happen many times first hand when a client chose downdraft over a traditional ceiling island hood.

I renovated my own kitchen, and put in two induction hobs, with only one 20k BTU gas wok hob. I choose to use the induction burners more than 9 out of 10 times when I cook....snd I cook A LOT! They are far faster to heat the pans evenly, and FAR more responsive and consistent when turning down to simmer. I put in the wok gas burner as a back up in the case of loss of power. After the run of storms we have had over the last few years, it was worth it to me to have both sources. 12 days no power after Sandy was NOT fun. Also the glass cooktop is sleeker, safer and will be way easier to maintain! If you have a gas grill outside, it's kind of a no-brainer, if you don't have the room to split like I did.

Induction is safer in that it will only function with high ferrous content materials. Very difficult to inadvertently turn on by a kind or animal. I just heard of a fire that was started because a dog turned on a burner on a stove when jumping up to try to get meal remnants when a pizza box was left on a stove top.
  • remodeling1840
    hace 6 años
    I always laugh when people insist a cooktop on an island isn’t safe because people will be walking past it. Does nobody walk past the cooktop if it is on a perimeter wall?
  • remodeling1840
    hace 6 años
    Angela, what size do you want for the island? If smaller, use masking tape on your existing island to set your parameters and try to cook for a few days staying within the lines. If bigger, bring in something like a piece of furniture or a cardboard mock-up to extend visually to the new size to check the traffic flow.
  • threelittlelights13ny7a
    hace 6 años

Congratulations on the new countertops!! I know there are not a lot of cooktop in island fans here on gardenweb, but I love mine so don’t be discouraged if a full remodel isn’t in the cards right now! But I have also cooked on an island that is too small and it’s frustrating!!

As mentioned above, definitely look into induction. It is very responsive and totally different to cook on than electric. Aesthetically, it’s a much more intergrated look appropriate for an island and so easy to clean. A cooktop on a perimeter is often a focal point, so gas burners and a fancy hood add to the look. On an island with a telescoping downdraft, everything should be designed to blend in with the countertop.

Also, consider going with a 30” cooktop. Having the extra 6” of counter space would serve you well. It’s hard to utilize extra burners if you don’t have the counter space for ingredients and plates!!

I don’t want to offer layout suggestions without seeing the whole space, but you need to add more counter space than you are considering to make this island function properly.

• cluelessincolorado
    hace 6 años

I think the induction advice is sound, even though I like using gas. Is there a possibility of extending the counter more to the left of the cooktop? A supported 15-18" overhang would give needed square footage and landing area.

• cpartist
    hace 6 años

Please post your current floor plan. Sometimes when we've lived with something for a long time, we can't see the forest for the trees and can't see how there might be a better layout.

Also agree about the induction.

• Angela
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Walk around space is generous. This is a roomy eat in kitchen. The gas is in the island - though I did consider induction. We loose power enough, we prefer having the cooktop.

Great idea of taping!

Here's photos for more information.
    hace 6 años

Are you doing a full remodel, or countertops only? If you're doing a full remodel, your layout can definitely be improved!

hace 6 años

I understand this is not a full remodel, so I don’t want to go too crazy, but do you have flooring under the island? If so, I would scrap the island completely and make a peninsula where the bakers rack is to create a u. Its hard to say without measurements, but it looks like you would get a longer run of counterspace for your cooktop and it still has good workflow from the sink.

Otherwise, that island has to get a lot longer to be a comfortable workspace!!

• Angela
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    My concern is getting most useful counter space. In the photos I'm posting now, you'll observe that the island doesn't "line up" with other cabk nets, walls, etc.

There's room on the left side of the island for additional counter space, as our recycle bins live there. I'm considering extending the left side by 7", giving me 20" on that end.

I just don't want to end up with something that looks awkward or unbalanced.
  • Hillside House
    hace 6 años

Regardless of what else you end up doing, I would not extend the countertop on the right side toward the fridge at all. 36” is a really tight walkway there.

hace 6 años

If you go with induction then the cooktop will be flat to the counter and the symmetry will be much less of an issue than with a gas cooktop that will divide the surface. Regardless of aesthetics, one side with a larger space to work and a narrower space for landing on the other side would function better than two undersized areas on either side of the cooktop. For function, the larger counter space should be the side closer to the sink, but either way you will appreciate those extra inches once they’re there!!

Hillside house has a good point for the refrigerator walkway. It’s already tight, so you would probably really feel the inches lost there.

Do you have measurements? They would be very helpful :)

• Angela
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    We aren't changing cabinets because they're in excellent condition, though from the 1980's.

The dining area is all about the view, thus all the large windows.

We ARE going with a gas cooktop. I did research induction and am going gas. The gas cooktop is low profile, and will be gorgeous.

I believe I'll get an increase of 3"- 6" when we update the refrigerator. I could leave that end unchanged, but am tempted to increase it by 3". I can't add it later.

Attached is a photo with my scribbled dimensions.
  • cluelessincolorado
    hace 6 años

• Angela
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Island to table is 63"

Since the waste bins will always be there, I think I can extend to counter over them, at least partially.
  • javiwa
    hace 6 años

OP: Be sure your larger trashcan lid, when popped open, can actually clear the area underneath your anticipated overhang. At one point in our reno, we were going to do a similar island top extension (so the bin could be tucked underneath), but vertical space didn't allow. Good luck!

hace 6 años

Instead of adding overhang on the fridge side, is it possible to move the new cooktop down a bit toward the other end of the island when you replace it? It would no longer be centered on the cabinet part of the island, but might make the new overhang section look a bit less unbalanced?

• Angela
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

I don't like the idea of imbalance either, but it would mean rebuilding the island. After all the back and forth, my mind is re-imagining the island. Not sure where to go to get a new island, but it would solve many issues. Just wasn't in the budget. However, it's not to late to entertain the idea. Thanks!

• Angela
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

In an comment reply above, there will be a new downdraft vent. We will be utilizing the existing vent and remote fan.

• lisa_a
    hace 6 años

Wow, I feel your pain! I had an island about the same size with a 30" cook top in it. I bitched and moaned about having only 16" on each side of it. I can't imagine having less than that.

I was fortunate, though, that we had the flexibility to move the cook top from the island to the perimeter. I have 42" of counter on one side and 22" on the other. Is it heaven? You betcha! And my island is a beautiful empty space, great for prep and setting out drinks and appies for parties.

An aisle of 63" between island and table is generous. I think you can extend the island towards the table by adding an 18" cabinet at the end. That would give you 32" of counter on one side (1" counter overhang). Make that a trash pull--out cabinet and you can get rid of your free standing trash can.

Reface the island cabinets - darker stain or painted finish - so that new blends with old.

btw, we went from gas to induction. No regrets. But we don't lose power regularly so that isn't a worry for us.

My apologies if I missed a detail. My eyes are tired and I read through kinda quickly.

Oops, we were cross posting so I missed the bit about you not liking asymmetry. A new island would fix things. You'd end up with about 22" of counter on each side of the cook top.

• Angela
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Lisa_a, thanks for comment. I did think about adding a cabinet at the dining end to get the waste bins out of the design (ha!). We just got the gas to the island, and mentioning a electric cooktop kind of fizzled. LOL

We have to do interior modification for the gas cooktop as is. The new cooktop needs additional 2". So much to consider! Thanks, again.

• lisa_a
    hace 6 años

You're welcome!

As a fellow island-too-small-for-cooktop sufferer, I encourage you to go for it and get a larger island. Life is so much better when you're not knocking spices and cut-up veggies off the island counter. =)

• wilson853
    hace 6 años

A friend recently did a mini reno with similar colored cabinets and layout. She kept her perimeter cabinets and enlarged her island substantially by eliminating her kitchen table. She had a local cabinet shop make new island cabinets in a gray stain and added a MW, pull out trash, drawer storage and seating to the island. If you could do that, I would then move the refrigerator into the hutch space to give you both landing and prep space to the left of the cooktop.

• Buehl
    hace 6 años

"Does nobody walk past the cooktop if it is on a perimeter wall?"

No, they don't b/c there's a wall behind it! In addition, perimeter cooktops/ranges on the end of a perimeter run usually have plenty of safety margin/buffer b/w them and the end of the counter.

The island in question here also has no real workspace around it. It has maybe enough for emergency landing space, but that's it!

• Buehl
    hace 6 años

I would extend the counter to cover at least where you waste bins are...even if you have to replace them. Maybe get cabinets just for that location and put your trash bins in the new cabinet.

If there's no seating on the island, then I think 48" should be plenty b/w the island and the table.

Also, if you have 63" b/w the back of the island counter and the
    perimeter counters, you could extend the counter a bit in the back...are
    the cabinets on the back the full 24" deep?

Regarding moving the cooktop, I wouldn't lessen the amount of space on either side. With your changes, keep what little buffer you have on the one side and add the extra space on the other side to make the cooktop location more functional overall -- as well as add usable workspace next the cooktop. Hopefully, you can get at least 36" on the one side w/o sacrificing any space on the other side.

ETA:

This what I would do if I were in your situation:

(1 ) Extend the island length toward the table, not the refrigerator

(2) Move the cooktop towards the table until there is around 18" b/w the edge of the counter and the cootkop.

(3) This will accomplish two things:

.......(a) Put the workspace where it's most useful -- b/w the refrigerator and cooktop and near the sink

.......(b) Move the cooktop away from the DW so there's no conflict for floor space while someone is prepping & cooking and no danger of backing into an open DW door when taking a pot of boiling water off the cooktop to dump in the sink.

• cookncarpenter
    hace 6 años

I've never quite grasped the argument "cooking is only 10% of your time spent in the kitchen" Maybe it's how I cook, or what I cook, but I would say my time spent in the kitchen is divided pretty much equally between prep, cooking, and clean up. Other than a stir fry, I can't think of too much else that takes considerably more prep time than cook time?

Maybe I'm just a fast prepper, ...or a slow cook ;)

Also, I've been cooking at a peninsula (albeit with a raised counter behind) for over 30 years (and raised two kids and a dog) without any safety issues or mishaps.

• cluelessincolorado
    hace 6 años

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.