Houzz Logo Print
janet_lange8023

Best flooring for walk out basement

Janet Lange
hace 10 años
Because of ground water seepage in our finished, walk out basement, we are pulling off the 1964 wood paneling and replacing it with drywall. We are also replacing all the flooring in a family room, hallway, bath/laundry room, and two bedrooms. We plan to carpet the bedrooms, but we would like recommendations for the best flooring that we could use for the family room, hallway and bath/laundry room. Since we also access the garage and the back yard from the family room, we would like to avoid carpet. Tile is out because of the expense and the lack of warmth. It gets cold in our family room in the winter. We think we have fixed our water problems, but we are still a little concerned because our water heater, laundry, toilet, and shower are all down there. What do people think would work best?

Comentarios (7)

• PRO
    Sensibly Chic Designs for Life
    hace 10 años
    Vinyl flooring is going to be your best bet. Don't think about the 1970's sheet vinyl. Today we have gorgeous solid vinyl planks that look exactly like hardwoods. They will be impervious to water and much softer and warmer under foot. True hardwoods or laminate would be damaged if your water problem resurfaced, so vinyl is your best bet.
  • elcieg
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    Yes, vinyl. I have a board down in the garage of a product my daughter used in her entire house. She is by the beach and rents it for a few weeks in the summer. No one knows these floors are vinyl…be right back with the name.

Earthwerks. It is glued down, in individual "planks". Fabulous choice for your basement.
    http://www.truehardwoods.com/earthwerks.ht

I think she choose the Aberdeen in the darkest color. Her walls are SW Grecian Ivory.

Here is her cottage with the flooring.
    http://rentals.newenglandvacationrentals.com/UnitDescription.aspx?prodType=1&prodID=1030&prodSubID=15192&begin=6%2f
  • Janet Lange
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thank you both for the great suggestion. Your daughter's beach cottage is beautiful!
  • J Milner
    hace 10 años
    Does anyone have experience using Homestead Luxury Vinyl Planks by Mannington? They are 6" x 36" and come it about 8 different wood looks/colors. Wondering about performance of these long term for use in entryway, kitchen, casual dining area....
  • lonecouleeranch
    hace 10 años
    I too have vinyl plank flooring in my basement LOVE it, so much I also put it in the kitchen. We have had it for 2 years and have had no problems with it, It is called Ecolay and the product is 50% recycled product. What I love about it is that it is a glueless product, so if a plank gets ruined/destroyed al you have to do is pick up the plank and replace it with a new one...and no one will ever be the wiser.
  • J Milner
    hace 10 años
    Does anyone have experience with these two mid-grade wood-look vinyl planks? FloorCraft (made by Tarkett and sold by Flooring America) or Mannington Homestead? Both are 2mm thick and both are glue-down. Floorcraft has better warranty (25 yr res and 5 yr light comm'l). Floorcraft a bit more expensive. Thanks!
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.