Houzz Logo Print
seth_katzenstein

Long kinda narrow master closet

Seth Katzenstein
hace 6 años
última modificación:hace 6 años

We are moving into a new home which has a kinda weird master closet. It's very long, and somewhat narrow. However, the weird thing is that on one of the long walls, there's two doors (going to the same hallway leading to master bath). Would you put hanging/shelving on all three walls? What about the space between the doors?

There is also a reach in closet with sliding doors directly across the hall

Comentarios (12)

• annztoo
    hace 6 años

Either someone thought the closet would be used by 2 people and they would each like their own access, or there was a divider between the doors and it was decided to omit it. If your hallway allows room for swinging doors, I would put in french doors so you have easy access to clothes hanging on the long wall. Other option, take out one door and close up the wall.

The depth of hanging clothes will take up 24-28 inches and shelving will take up at least 12 inches. How much shelving you install depends on what you need. If you want to maximize hanging clothes, install shelving units about 3' wide on each short end. If the shelving is carried full width of the short wall your hanging clothes will overlap the shelves.

• Seth Katzenstein
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thanks. I don't think French Doors would be helpful. That would just give a bigger opening. I was leaning twoards mostly hanging with some shelving/drawers on the long wall and shelving on the short walls. Maybe hamper or something on the door wall. I don't want to start closing up doors.

• Allison0704
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Could you do a corner/angled stack of shelves on either end for shoes? Depends on how deep the shelves could be. There are closet design websites where you enter measurements and it creates choices for you.

EasyClosets.com suggest using each end... which used 137" on the back wall, like this:

• Seth Katzenstein
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thanks. I've played with them. Was just wondering if anybody had additional thoughts. The websites don't let you add in a second door, lol

• Allison0704
    hace 6 años

I noticed that too. Not much you can do between the doors - other than a flat belt and/or tie rack. Or a jewelry/necklace wall for the Mrs. Closet is too narrow, imo, for a full length mirror there.

• suero
    hace 6 años

Measure your clothes and use that to determine how much hanging space you need (long - like gowns, intermediate - like dresses, long jackets, and short -like pants, shirts). The 28" wall on the inside can be used for narrow items, like ties, scarves, anything that is relatively flat. If the two doors open in opposite directions, you can put mirrors on the inside of the doors, and then, when they are opened, you can position them to see both your back and front. With a full length mirror on the outside of the 28" wall, you could then get a 360 degree view.

• PRO
    Innovative Closet Designs
    hace 6 años

What are your dimensions from the corners to the door jams, and how wide are the doors?

• Seth Katzenstein
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

The distance from the corners to the door jams are about 30 inches. I didn't measure the doors, but they are standard doors- so 36 inches?

• PRO
    Innovative Closet Designs
    hace 6 años

We've done a similar area like this recently where we partitioned the middle off to create a small master his/hers closet with their respective doors. The middle area was a set of drawers with mirror and shelf above it so each left and right side had drawers. Then the perimeter was a mixture of hanging and shelving.

Seth Katzenstein agradeció a Innovative Closet Designs
  • PRO
    Closet Factory - Colorado
    hace 6 años

Seth,

I think you're on the right track with the "hanging and maybe drawers on long wall" idea. I would run with that, and do shelving on the short walls.

If you were willing to close in one of the doors, you could do a lot more shelving on that front wall, but it sounds like you'd rather not get into closing in doors.

Good luck!!

• artistsharonva
    hace 6 años

Photo example of

Left is double hang,

Middle slat wall

right is long hang.

Seth Katzenstein agradeció a artistsharonva
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.