Houzz Logo Print
merithomesinc

Which Sink?

MERIT HOMES
hace 10 años
We are building a plat of 18 contemporary homes. Which sink do you prefer? We want to give our buyers what they want, but not sure if more people are wanting double bowl kitchen sink or single? What is YOUR preference?

Comentarios (40)

• Denita
    hace 10 años
    Deep single bowl sink is much more desirable.
  • Kitchen Bath Trends
    hace 10 años
    Hello Merit Homes,

A single bowl sink is easier for a homeowner to use as they want to. A double bowl sink will hold less dishes and pans. Yes it has the nice separation but now a days people can buy different strainers or attachments for the sink if they want to create their own double bowl.

Kitchen Bath Trends
    http://www.kitchenbathtrends.com/
  • shelleyuk
    hace 10 años
    I agree. I prefer a large single sink.
  • mefor
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    I prefer a large single as well, unless you have enough space or two full size sinks side by side!! Lol :)
    I think the single is much more versatile and great if you can get one extra deep.
  • Sarah Padilla
    hace 10 años
    Big single bowl sink=great place to bathe babies and also soak large pans. Double bowl feels more traditional, and expected. Allows you to multitask.
  • printesa
    hace 10 años
    The single one is much nicer and convenient.
  • User
    hace 10 años
    I prefer single in general and also out of those particular options the single is much nicer in a contemporary home
  • Geneviève
    hace 10 años
    It all depends on what you need to work for you . I find that a double sink works well for my needs, I can wash dishes on one side and rinse them in the other keeping the counter free , i can wash greens on one side and move to the next for a second wash . I rather have 2 sinks instead of one .
  • qam999
    hace 10 años
    Strong, strong preference for large single bowl sink.
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    hace 10 años
    Single.
  • PRO
    MERIT HOMES
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thanks for all your comments! I personally have always used a double bowl, but it has seemed like some of our younger buyers looking at our new contemporary home styles have been preferring the single. Looks like that may be the way for us to go!
  • peridot1848
    hace 10 años
    Don't like a single sink...dishes and vegetable peels, etc end up in the same sink and it's disgusting. Also with a double, one side can be utilized while the other still available for another task.
  • Denita
    hace 10 años
    It's not only the younger buyers, btw! :)
  • PRO
    User
    hace 10 años
    I agree with many of the comments above - large, single sink is the way to go! Two kitchen sink leaves less room for washing.
  • renarama
    hace 10 años
    I enthusiastically endorse the single bowl sink and I am happy to tell you why. It's versatile: the large bowl accommodates refrigerator shelves, large platters, cookie sheets, etc. It allows for a removable dish drainer to occupy a portion of the sink thereby leaving counter space free of clutter and available for active tasks, etc. When necessary, a small Rubbermaid-type dish basin can be used for small washing tasks.

In one of my kitchen renovations, I chose a three bowl sink primarily to accommodate a dish drainer to keep the counter clear and have a designated garbage disposal space. This left me with small bowls and no versatility. The single bowl allows enough space that you can modify it to facilitate whatever task you have on hand.

I am about to embark on another exciting kitchen renovation. If there is one thing I am sure about - it's the single bowl sink!
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    hace 10 años
    Large sink is better for contemp styling !!
  • trebinje
    hace 10 años
    Double sided, but not the one in your photo. I prefer a 3/4 + 1/4 ... the big side having ample room for large pots, baby bottoms and refrig shelves, while the 1/4 side has the garbage disposal. This config provides maximum flexibility in a busy kitchen, and keeps one drain free at all times to pour out cold coffee, dispose of vegetable peels & stale cat food, or rinse off fruit ... all without disturbing the chore in the main sink. Who wants to set down a baby bottom on top of a garbage disposal?

Like this, below. What's not contemporary about it?
  • qam999
    hace 10 años
    I am 50, I have used single, double and even triple bowl sinks and I strongly (like 1000% +++++*********) prefer the single bowl for versatility and ease of use. I would definitely look at this as a factor in any house I were to consider buying.

Someone who wants a double bowl experience can always use dishpans or bowls in a single bowl sink, but there is no flexibility to create a single bowl situation in a double bowl sink.
  • armygirl1987
    hace 10 años
    I have a double sink and I absolutely like the separation that it gives.
  • kimdee24
    hace 10 años
    trebinje -- that's the configuration I wanted in my new house. Sadly, the granite guy didn't get the memo when he was templating my countertops. I got a standard double sink and I hate it.
  • calidesign
    hace 10 años
    A double sink with one very large sink and a smaller one. A single sink gives you no where to put dirty utensils without contaminating an area where you might be washing fruit, etc.
  • mom4herkiddos
    hace 10 años
    I managed apartments and real estate for 13 years. I been involved with building and the design of multi family housing units depending on your demo graphics and this is important a double is far more valuable than a large single sink.
  • cfollowell
    hace 10 años
    I put a single bowl in my kitchen and would never do it again. There are times when you need to soak something but need a second sink for another chore. If the double sink is large enough, I think it's a better choice. Only if the double sinks are puny should you opt for one decent-sized sink.
  • PRO
    Courtney Zanelli, LLC
    hace 10 años
    I would strongly recommend a large single sink. The larger side of a double is never large enough and often times won't accommodate large pots and pans. I have a big family and I cook a lot, and feel that a large single sink will always do the job.
  • taco
    hace 10 años
    70/30 works best IMO.
    It gives you the best of both worlds, and don't forget the "green" factor. You need a lot of water in the single bowl to get any depth for soaking!
  • PRO
    ReMax - Lisa
    hace 10 años
    I would go for double and extra deep. Loads of room for washing anything and still an extra sink for draining and drying dishes (much more sanitary than towel drying). I also don't like to wash veggies in the sink that gets used to wash dirty dishes. I have had one large sink previously and hated it. Took way too much water to fill, and was a waste of space.
  • PRO
    Kitchen Cabinet Kings
    hace 10 años
    I'd say double, but the double sink provided is a standard stainless undermount sink, doesn't have a specific contemporary theme. From our available online sink catalog, we love this contemporary undermount copper double copper sink.
    http://www.kitchencabinetkings.com/cocina-duet-in-antique
  • Lynda Meyers
    hace 10 años
    We put in a single not too long ago, and I absolutely love it! First of all, everything can fit in there. Secondly it gives you incentive to clean your dishes and not leave them in the dry rack.
  • mendys
    hace 10 años
    I put in one of these just recently and love it. It has the benefit of having a VERY large and deep sink and a smaller one for the garbage disposal. The larger side is big enough for my wok and largest frying pans. It is an Eclipse.
  • sunfleur
    hace 10 años
    The double bowl with one large bowl and the smaller one with the garbage disposal. If your sink is full of water you still can scrape and wash dishes in the smaller bowl.
  • kadodi
    hace 10 años
    Must be double, single bowl is cheap look IMO
  • madgram
    hace 10 años
    Have had both kinds. Decided on a 1 3/4 double bowl for new home under construction now. Also chose Silgranite integrated sink...tired of stainless steel.
  • joymornei
    hace 10 años
    Single deep bowl! Mid 40's built my house 5 years ago and previously had double sinks. I will never go back to a double sink again. If I bought a new house that would be the first thing I would replace in the kitchen, pronto! The large bowl allows for cleaning the awkward things like shelves from the fridge, large pots cookie sheets. As a previous commenter explained, you can always add a Rubbermaid tub for the times you want a basin.
  • Susan Albanese
    hace 10 años
    I preferred the single deep sink to a double.
  • caymanbaby29
    hace 10 años
    Double for sure! Without a doubt. And in my opinion, people who like singles could live with a double easily, but people looking for doubles will hate a single. Stainless steel is also my preference, easiest to clean etc and that granite stuff I HATE HATE HATE. Looks pretty when brand new but after a while is terrible. My two cents as the primary cook and dishwasher in my house.
  • zandrau
    hace 10 años
    Have had a triple sink and a double... I prefer deep single sink And I am not young and we do a lot of cooking at our home.
  • User
    hace 10 años
    Double
  • face39
    hace 10 años
    I am remodeling and will install a single bowl sink. When you say deep how deep do you mean? I'm a short person, but even after standing at my 9 inch deep sink for a short while I have a sore back.
  • face39
    hace 10 años
    Currently have a double sink. One side is shallow and narrow and it has the disposal. I find this the most inconvenient configuration I've ever used.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.