kmve82

Stuck..need help with wall art ideas

kmve82
hace 10 años
...for wall behind the tv

Comentarios (37)

• houssaon
    hace 10 años
    In the photo the grates really show up. How about painting them the wall color? I would take a look at allposter.com. They have a great selection of posters and prints. Could you mount your TV on the wall so it is a bit higher and add one poster one either side of the TV. Or do shelves on one side and a poster on the other.
  • charleee
    hace 10 años
    I agree with cdrdesign, your tv base is much too small for the size of the rest of your furniture, it's out of proportion. I would replace it with something much larger and not worry about art on the wall. Beautiful room, by the way!
  • inkwitch
    hace 10 años
    1. Paint the grills to match the wall.

2. Decide what kind of art you like. Do you want B/W prints? Modern? (seems logical, given your style) Posters? (they come in every topic and can look terrific)

3. Decide how large/what kind of framing. To not class with the TV, black matte. I'd avoid glossy if possible.

4. Is it possible to wall-mount the TV? I highly recommend it, and get a "cable controller" to encase the lines (nothing more unsightly than a zillion wires running willy-nilly) Do you plan on purchasing a larger TV in teh future? Wall mounting apparatus can cost as little as $50 for up to 32" TV, more for larger. Take your future plans into consideration with the size/number/placement of any art.

5. Recommend 2 prints flanking the TV (if you plan on a larger one) or 3 (if sticking with current). Square woudl work better, even if you're getting posters. Not too large - maximum 18".

6. Center the TV on the wall before hanging art.
  • PRO
    Elisa Contemporary Art
    hace 10 años
    The right art on the walls would add a great element of color and design to the room. There is wonderful original art and photography that is very affordable!

For the area to the right of the TV, you may want to try a square or rectangular piece. It looks like a large space.

To the left of the TV, consider a long narrow vertical piece or perhaps even a wall sculpture.

One new Elisa Contemporary Art gallery artist is Michael Buscemi. He creates amazing artworks which are rag paper collages. The paper is cut and layered. The result are beautiful white paintings filled with dimension and shadows. You can see it in the first image.

In the second image, you'll see the work of Elisa Contemporary Art Canadian artist, Marie Danielle Leblanc. Her abstracted landscapes are rich in color and finished with a high-gloss shine. To the left of the TV is a mesh metal sculpture created by Attiticus Adams. I love the combination of colors and textures.

You can see more artwork at www.ElisaContemporaryArt.com. We work with hundreds of artists from around the world to find the right art for every client!
  • kmve82
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thank you all for your suggestions..you have given me some great ideas!
  • PRO
    The Iron Snail Inc.
    hace 10 años
    cdrdesign has a point, however budget is key. I would recommend filling the space according to a style you feel comfortable with and that accents the rest of your home. Many of the times all you really need is a delicate piece that draws the attention away from your small entertainment set and fills the wall and is cohesive.
  • PRO
    The Iron Snail Inc.
    hace 10 años
    These are outside but something similar can be adequate. Again, make sure it fits with the rest of your home or at least does not come off as random.
  • kmve82
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    We have a 50 in tv in my husband's "man cave" that we never use. I just didnt want the TV to be the center of attention in living room.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 10 años
    A tv needs to be treated like a piece of art. So, at the least, I would hang the tv. Please don't start putting other artwork on the wall and make this wall look like a hodgepodge.

Here is another idea if you don't want to buy an entertainment center

1) Mount tv on the wall
    2) Buy 2 large vases and fill with something that is dramatic and takes up wall space, like curly willow
    [houzz=
    Oh Domino. · Más información
    ]
    [houzz=]
  • kmve82
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thanks cdrdesign, that can be another alternative. I dont want my wall to look like a hodgepodge either!
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 10 años
    PS: 50 " tv would be fine in the space you are showing, by the way. Actually it would be more appropriate for that wall, especially if you do not have an entertainment center.

Are you saying the 50" tv is something you would consider placing in this family room?

Large vases flanking either side with cury willow or similar would soften the space.

You did a great job on the furniture/decor otherwise, but it needs just a little tweaking. Let us know if you wish further advice.
  • kmve82
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I am going to move the 50"tv here and i will take a pic. This is my first time using this discussion board and i am loving it! I am also readjusting my carpet. I welcome more feedback :)!
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 10 años
    Thank you for doing that and I look forward to picture. From what I can see of the pics you have posted:

1) paint vents
    2) move chair out of corner
    3) what is the table behind the sectional? The things on it are misplaced and table is incorrect size for behind a sectional (from what I can see)
    4) windows to right of French door should have drapes same as French door
    5) move rug as per above
    6) remove stuff from ottoman
    7) pillows: 3 group of 2 in solid colors. The ones you have aren't working. Is yellow your accent color?

I love your rug and afghan. Let's work to make the rest look clean and sleek, yet inviting. Less is more.
  • PRO
    Dezign With a Z
    hace 10 años
    Your space already looks good - great rug and furniture are already in place. Why not adding a wall clock to that space? It would make your room look a let more inviting.
    The time is of the essence is modern, neutral and would coordinate well with your existing space.

http://www.dezignwithaz.com/time-essence-clock-with-mechanism-p-1296.html
  • PRO
    TVCoverUps
    hace 10 años
    I also love that rug! You may want to consider using TVCoverUps. Framed artwork or panel provides the focal point of the room, until it swings upward to reveal the hidden TV. It comes in automatic and manual lifts and allows for TV tilting hardware. The unit can also be built to accomindate AV equipment, speakers, wires, Blu-Ray/DVD, and other consoles-eliminating the need for the TV furniture stand you have. Each unit is always built custom to the viewer and space, so it is best to give us a call.
  • kmve82
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    One more question, what type/color of curtain should i get for the dining room? Dining and living area is all open so it has to kind of mesh.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 10 años
    I can answer your question, but for some reason, I am having trouble picking up your colors. I can make a guess, but would like to be sure.

What color is the paint on your walls?
    Are all walls painted the same color?
    What other colors are in your rooms?

Hi doggies!
  • kmve82
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I dont know the exact color, we bought the house 6 months ago and it already had that color. It is like a grey/greenish color. The living/dining area is painted with the same color.
  • kmve82
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    A different angle to give you a better idea!
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 10 años
    Okay, thanks. For some reason, your photos are grainy and I am guessing at colors.

Do you want to keep that color on the wall?
    Does the paint color go with the rest of your colors?

If so, the easiest thing to do for the long run and to make all cohesive is to put the same panels on all windows and buy something that is almost the same color as the paint on the walls. You need to use the same rod and same panels on all three windows to pull the rooms together. They should all be hung at the same height from the ceiling. The one over the French Doors is hung at an appropriate height.
  • kmve82
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    That sounds good, thanks for your suggestion. I wasnt sure if i should have a different color/type of curtain in the DR to make it more fun or i should keep it simple and consistent.Yes, we love the paint color and it goes with what we have.
    My camera phone doesn't take good pics!
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 10 años
    I think it is best to keep it simple and consistent. You already have those very busy chevron rugs. We can do some more fun things with pillows, etc. In the future, if you want to change something, you don't have to fool with the drapes.

You don't need to actually close them, right? I see you have blinds. You don't really need the grommet ones like on French Doors. Or would you be closing the French Door drapes?

One place to look is Bed, Bath Beyond. If you can buy something with texture. It makes things more interesting. So, something that looks like it is raw silk or linen. (It won't be the real thing, but looks that way)
  • PRO
    Debora Haughton Home Design
    hace 10 años
    Hang the TV on the wall , then follow up with a few large framed posters or prints to form a collage .
    ( www.allposters.com)
  • kmve82
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    You are correct, i wouldnt need to close them in the DR. Ill go check bb&b. I got my LR from there and i should find same color in different textures!
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 10 años
    I would use exact same on all windows.
  • kmve82
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Baby steps...my husband is loving the bigger tv in the room! I like that my wall doesnt look so empty. Also i removed the chair in the corner as suggested and it looks so much brighter!
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    That looks so much better already!!!

Next step:

1) Can you take a head on shot of the tv? Does it look good on the stand or should we hang it?

2) Drapes: on the French Door, the drapes would look so much better if you

a)remove plant stand and pictures in corner where chair was and plant on right side. (we might be able to use them elsewhere)

b)extend rod on both the right and the left sides. They should be equal, of course. On the right side, I would extend to just beyond the light switch, so that the drapes extend just to the left of the light switch. The left side should look the same. It may mean adding an extra panel to each side. So, your drapes will just slightly flank your French Doors and be extended out farther.

This will visually widen your French Doors and make the drapes look not so shoved up against the doors.

All windows should have same drapes. In dining room, drapes should be extended also, to visually widen that window.

Can you take a closer shot of the window in the little eating area? Then we can decide how to treat that area.

3) Colors: could you please say what your colors are. I finally see the grey-green walls. What color is your carpet, throw, current drapes, and carpet in dining room?

Once we have those colors, we can make other changes.
  • kmve82
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I am not sure i have specific colors, i may be a little bit all over the place :). DR carpet is beige , brown and gray/green. LR is beige and blue , theow is blue and white. I am sending more pics taken during the day with better light. It may give you a better idea.
  • kmve82
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    More pics...
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 10 años
    Thanks for pictures!

Overall: This really needs to be treated as sort of one room, so color scheme needs to be the same or at least somewhat the same. Decide colors. family room: blue, cream, grey green, red? Dining room: grey-green, brown and a little of the blue?

Drapes: same on all windows. None on kitchen

TV: can it be moved to center of wall? Will sectional need to be moved also and can it without making door hard to open?

Ideally tv should be mounted on wall, but it is much better than before. Buy 2 very large urns and fill with curly willow to flank tv. Do you want to use red or blue curly willow?

console table: remove from behind couch. Maybe use in dr, as that table looks small.

Cocktail table: have chairs facing each other and on wall.

Couch: Buy some pillows in color scheme: grey-green, blue, red?

Garbage can: recommend converting one of your cabinets to an inside mount garbage can.

dining room: need closer pictures.

Continue to post progress photos and I will continue to help.
  • theodores10
    hace 10 años
    I think if you were paint the wall a light yellow/warm color, it would do great
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 10 años
    paint color: you do need to decide if you want to embrace the gray-green walls and incorporate them or do you want to change the color of the walls?

Bottom line: what colors do you want in the room?
  • kmve82
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    You have given me some great ideas! What color should the urns be? Where can i find curly willow?

I can't center tv because i can't move the sectional anymore-it blocks the entrance from the backyard.

We wont be painting any time soon so i guess i need to find pillows that go with the current color!
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 10 años
    Okay about tv. I have an idea, though. The sectional is very large for the size of the room. Would you consider this:

-remove chaise from sectional.
    -then take the L shaped couch you have left and we can try a couple of things:

a) place it in a V, facing the tv
    b) place it in an L, but one end will face tv, other end face the door, so that the door area will be open to traffic.

I think then we can center the tv. Chaise might be able to fit in corner where chair was that you removed.

Urns and curly willow: try Michael's, Hobby Lobby or Pier One for both.

Curly usually comes in white or brown, but you can actually buy it in red or other colors. Or....you can spray paint it. So, see what you can find. For example, maybe you can buy a deep earthy green urns with red curly willow. It would look quite dramatic. Or, maybe you will find something in silver or brushed nickel.

Pier One has great fun, quality pillows. You might want to buy the curly willow and urns first, though, since they will be more challenging to find what you want.

Let us know how the furniture placement works out. Do that first.
  • kmve82
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Cdrdesign- thanks for your suggestions! I already implemented some of them today. I moved the bar stools as recommended and i also hanged the pics in the DR closer to each other. Even little things make such a big difference.
    I ran the rearranging the sectional idea my husband and i wasnt able to sell it, but he is loving the small changes I made so far!

I went to Michaels on my way from work but they only had black and red mix together and i didnt like the colors. I will keep looking!
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 10 años
    dining room: actually I meant I would like a closer photo. But, the pics on the wall are too far apart. Funny.

I would remove both items from the corners. Are they urns? Could you use them in living room? Not matching, right?

Remove the cart.

I would buy two large matching mirrors and hang them on the walls opposite each other.

Remove the painting on the left side of the window.

(Cannot see table top and chandelier, but they do need addressing)

Less in more.

Living Room: my opinion is that the sectional is way too large for the area. The choice is yours, but I must tell you that.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.