Houzz Logo Print
amberr40

Yellowing ceiling speakers

Amber
hace 6 años
I have a whole house sound system with the round JBL speakers throughout the ceilings. The trim has yellowed and looks awful. I tried cleaning them but no success. They appear to be a plastic trim and the grills are metal and have not yellowed. Any suggestions or advice would be so appreciated!!

Comentarios (10)

• PRO
    Square Peg Audio/Video
    hace 6 años

Mostly all in-ceiling/in-wall speaker grills can be painted. It doesn't look like you have magnetic grills, so first remove the grill (try hooking a paper-clip in one of the holes on the grill) pull down gently and evenly around the edge - you can also try a utility knife on the edge to get things started.

On the back of the grill is a cloth which is held in place by an adhesive. You will need to pull this off before painting. This can be a little tricky if the speakers have been in place for a while. It's important that you do this or the paint will soak into the cloth and gum up the works so to speak. Once it's off, I would suggest using spay paint. When completely dry, replace the cloth. If you have problems securing the cloth back in place, try using a little fabric spray adhesive (lightly spray the cloth, not the grill).

As for the speaker trim, paint in place. New speakers usually come with a paint mask to protect speaker driver/tweeter. If you don't have them, you can create a round cardboard mask and tape in place, that should work fine. A foam brush should work fine for painting the trim. Good Luck!

- Frank P.

• PRO
    Square Peg Audio/Video
    hace 6 años

Wow, you're fast - LOL

• Amber
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Lol. I had the paint ready and used the paper clip to remove the grill. Great tip because that grill would not budge! My daughter washed the grill to get the bug gack and dust off (it was not yellowed because it was metal). I painted the yellowed trim (because it was plastic). I have 9 more to go that I’ll tackle tomorrow
  • PRO
    Square Peg Audio/Video
    hace 6 años

Looks great - keep going!

• PRO
    Synergy Florida
    hace 6 años

The touch up looks great!

• Jericko filova
    hace 5 años

Yellowed plastics can be renewed by coating them in a pastey form of hydrogen peroxide and exposing it to ultraviolet light, either an indoor source you buy (UVA bulb)and set up or simply direct sunlight. Regular hydrogen peroxide solution you get at the grocery store is really weak and very liquidy leading to lots of wasted solution.. A stronger and not too drippy alternative is hydrogen peroxide hair dye developer which can be cheaply acquired at a drug store and stays where you put it on the plastic.

You can't use this on anything where you aren't able to remove the plastic parts from other electronic or electric parts.

Notepad++ Malwarebytes FileZilla

Remember the key is ultraviolet light exposure after application of the hydrogen peroxide.

Do this with appropriate gloves, eye protection and ventilation.

• Jennifer Chen
    hace 3 años

Hi Amber - That looks awesome! I'm facing the same problem, but I'm wondering if you remember what paint and brush you used? Also, how has the paint held up? Thanks!

• Liang Tanaya
    el último año

I Have Bosch Philips Ceiling Speakers Using Sticky Double-Tapes And Wires To Install it to stick to my ceiling!!!

• PRO
    Square Peg Audio/Video
    el último año

That’s an interesting installation Liang😊

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.