Houzz Logo Print
ninomcd

What should we do with the flooring of our 50 year old home?

ninomcd
hace 6 años
última modificación:hace 6 años

We plan to update the flooring in our foyer but do not know which flooring material to use because the stairs leading to/from the foyer are wood. We also plan to change the railing and lighting to give the space an updated, refined look.

Comentarios (23)

• chiflipper
    hace 6 años

Slate is a good choice with wood. Please DO NOT buy it from a big box store. Slate comes in many "gauges" and a tile store will explain all the pros and cons. A stone setter, not a tile guy, is required.

• PRO
    KHB Interiors
    hace 6 años
    Hi

I would go with oak or possibly travertine !

Best of luck !

KHB Interiors in New Orleans

Please do me a huge favor and follow us on Houzz!

https://www.houzz.com/khbinteriors
    KHB Interiors in New Orleans
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Match the stair oak, and use an entry rug. Consider a whole new DOOR UNIT before you do it. Very dated, is that. : ) Very.

• pricklypearcactus
    hace 6 años

Either oak and sand and re-finish the stairs to match or there are countless beautiful stone tile options out there. I love gray so I'm a big fan of ostrich gray quartzite or slate or a beautiful light gray limestone.

• AnnKH
    hace 6 años

What is your climate like? Here in North Dakota, I would not want wood in the entry, because we track in snow for 6 months out of the year, and wood and water do not mix.

I agree that if you go with wood, you should match the stairs.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    hace 6 años

It snows for six months in NYS too. Use a nice area rug.

• PRO
    Cabinet City
    hace 6 años

I would close up that wall on the right when you walk in the home and create a proper entry way with a new glass door and striking, durable flooring, perhaps even Moroccan tile which is durable and classic and eye-catching.

• ninomcd
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

We live in New Jersey so rain and snow could be an issue with wood floors without a runner. At least when it is wet outside. We know that the railing is dated but had no idea that our door was (very) dated too. Closing up the wall on the right is an interesting idea which was never considered. The short set of stairs leads from the entry to the living room and kitchen. All the feedback is welcomed and appreciated.

• groveraxle
    hace 6 años

I agree with closing up the railing while you're at it.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 6 años

so many choices. if you close it up like Grovers pic, then pick some sort of tile. New door (or at the lease, paint the door) new light, paint,,,,

black slate

if there is wood further down, then do a blending of tile/wood.

• groveraxle
    hace 6 años

A better front door:

• PRO
    Cabinet City
    hace 6 años

The whole entry way with the closed off wall and the new door already looks 100 times nicer.

• PRO
    Sami And Sons Remodeling
    hace 6 años

I know a lot of people will say oak but I think you can really make it pop with some blue/slate tile.

• ninomcd
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

I agree that the closed off wall and new door looks so much better. The challenge is that there is more railing which you can see in the image above. It may look odd closing off the wall to the entryway but unable to do it over the stairs where the ceiling currently ends and the railing continues into the dining room.
    Winchester in Castle Keep · Más información
    By the way, can someone add the flooring from this house image to my entryway. Several comments have suggested some kind of gray tile. Would like to see a more clean, polished gray tile in the foyer. Thanks in advance.

• groveraxle
    hace 6 años

I couldn't use the floor above. This is as close as I could come.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    hace 6 años

What goes right to the front door in every multi million dollar build? The same thing that is on the rest of the first floor. Hardwood. Your answers are right here below thanks to the skilled "groveraxle?? above . Somebody change that light and add a nice little 3 x 5 area rug : )

• notapundit
    hace 6 años

Change the door unit. It's a cheap steel door and sidelight with a really dated 90's style glass. Go hardwood.

• AnnKH
    hace 6 años

ninomcd, you can build up the wall between the entry and the living room, then build a half wall in place of the stub of railing alongside the steps.

• groveraxle
    hace 6 años

Jan, your wish is my command.

• ninomcd
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thanks to all those that have taken a moment to write a comment. We feel that we are now on the right path.

Special thanks to groveraxel for the images allowing us to visually see may of the suggestions made by those you left comments. The images really made a difference.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    hace 6 años

There you go! Thanks for those techie skills!

• everdebz
    hace 6 años

Tile is fine where I am. Open is ok too, but some other material / other look could be placed...

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.