Houzz Logo Print
girl_wonder

kitchen floor tile that looks good next to douglas fir?

girl_wonder
hace 6 años

Any advice on a porcelain floor tile that would look good transitioning from old Douglas Fir floors? They have strong red and yellow undertones so I’m looking for a tile that is neutral but warm.

I brought home a few samples. The one that looks best is the Crossville Argent Sacred Sand but it’s really $$$. I also have a sample of Florida Tile’s Craftsman in Wheat, (about $3 square foot) but the color doesn't look great next to the fir. In the show room they also had that tile in Rye but the samples were loaned out. I’m leaning towards white painted cabinets with a wood island. (Looking at DeWils, with “Just White” (a warm white) and an island that is quarter sawn oak in Bruin Fox, a color that’s a little lighter than cherry). I’m thinking square floor tiles, with V2 variation.

FWIW, the other room that abuts the kitchen now has carpet, but that will be replaced with wood. (my architect suggested I go w/ Doug Fir again, but it wears so poorly I may go w/ oak.). I have a 1940’s cottage, built as a 2b/1ba. In the 80s the previous owners bumped out the kitchen and added a master bedroom suite in back. I’m trying to update and also make the addition look more like it was original to the house.

Thanks for any thoughts/leads!

Comentarios (7)

• PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    hace 6 años
    Slate. It’s a classic martial that looks great paired with wood. FWIW match the other floors you are installing to the existing Douglas fir. I suspect with the newer polyurethanes it will wear better than wha5 you have experienced already.
    girl_wonder agradeció a Ellsworth Design Build
  • girl_wonder
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thank you both for your feedback. I'm leaning towards porcelain tile (to reduce maintenance), so do you mean the slate lookalikes? The variations are pretty high, and I'm concerned it will be look busy. Is there a brand/color you'd recommend?

(On the island, I was thinking the island cabinet would be wood and the counter-top quartz, but not sure what brand or color.) In terms of large format, what do you mean, 18x18? (the sales woman at the tile store thought 12x12 or 13x13 better represented the period but 18x18 could work, if that's all I could find. I'm thinking the larger tiles may be less busy--fewer grout lines--and possibly a little cheaper per square foot and to install)

Thanks for the feedback on the floors in the back of the house. My fir floors aren't in great shape. I haven't had a floor expert out recently, but at least one contractor wondered if there was even enough thickness to refinish them. I don't need pristine floors (or anything) and when I got a bid to refinish/replace the fir floors 20 years ago, the guy said fir doesn't refinish all that great and then ended by saying my floors look like the distressed floors people are paying to put in. So it's possible the fir may get replaced at some point.

BTW, on the newer polyurethanes, one book (The New Bungalow Kitchen by Peter Labau) said to avoid high sheen (too 80s). I assume there are longer-lasting polyurethanes with lower sheen that can help retain the feeling of an older home?

thanks!

• DrB477
    hace 6 años

I put wood tile (American estates in spice) next to recently refinished 110 year old Douglas fir. Many would discourage wood tile next to real wood but I think it worked well in my case. I probably wouldn't do it in an open room though.

Our second floor is also Douglas fir, refinished about 5 years ago with a satin sheen poly, it has held up well.

• girl_wonder
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Thanks again everyone for you feedback. I have a flooring company coming out this week to give a bid on refinishing the old floors (she said they can work wonders) and installing Doug Fir in the back. Thanks for helping me avoid a design faux pas.

Still looking for suggestions in the kitchen tile, if anyone has ideas. Thanks!

• Sarah Wood
    hace 3 años

I’m following as we are in the same boat. I love our scratched, dented and dinged 70 year old heartwood fir floors. But we need something for a bathroom. our previous bathroom floor was also fir, covered by laminate, covered by paperboard like wood, then all damages by water...I would put fir back in there if the kiddos didn’t go to sea every time they took a bath!

• girl_wonder
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Not sure if this helps, but I decided to remove my fir floors and put in oak. Felt like a crime but I realized I could refinish those floors one more time (to “ok” results) . Then the next time someone wanted to ”refinish” them, they’d have to be removed. In my case, I decided to take the long-term view. This house has been here almost 80 years. What’s the best choice for the next 80? Removing the fir opened up new options and I chose to put down all new oak floors throughout the house, including the kitchen. I have tile floors in the bathroom. I’m happy with the results and it helped create a more consistent look in thIs house that has been added onto 4 times. (Including my bump-outs). Others might make different choices but FYI. Good luck!

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.