Houzz Logo Print
futuredriven

Kitchen Reno....Countertops or Cabinets first?

FutureDriven
hace 6 años
última modificación:hace 6 años

We are doing a small kitchen reno job. We are painting our cabinets, putting in granite countertops, backsplash, and apron stainless steel sink. What part of the job should we do first? Is it better to paint the cabinets and then select the granite or install the granite and choose the paint color the cabinets based on the granite and do back splash last? Thoughts. In what order would you do this reno?

Comentarios (34)

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    hace 6 años

I'd probably pick a stone first and then decide cabinet color off of that. Backsplash should be last, and then paint after that (if you're painting).

• joycedjay
    hace 6 años
    Always start with the thing that has the fewest possibilities. In this case, the countertops. Next pick the backsplash that looks good with the countertops. The only exception to this is if there’s a backsplash that you absolutely MUST have - but then it could be more of a challenge to find the right countertops. Paint is last, as there are an almost unlimited number of paint colors.
  • PRO
    RugKnots | Area Rugs
    hace 6 años

1. Countertop

2. Backsplash

3. Paint

4. Handles (makes a huge difference to replace them all and it's relatively cheap)

Love your flooring, by the way!

FutureDriven agradeció a RugKnots | Area Rugs
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Pick a countertop you like first. then match your paint color for Cabinets to it. With that busy flooring, pick a rather sedate countertop. here are some quartz options

Ironbark

quartzite

I'd paint cabs first, install counter, you can paint walls after cabs/counter are done, since you will need to see how it looks in your lighting to get a proper match.

(it's so much easier to spray your cabinets when you don't have to tape off your counters or walls or tile splash. just make sure your cabinet color and counter color go well together)

now do your backsplash. that's always last

• PRO
    Master Tile Kitchen and Bath Design
    hace 6 años

Pick your counter material, but paint the cabinets first before installing the new countertop. Backsplash last :)

• lesleycurl
    hace 6 años

Amateur here. I had the slab counter top installed first, then had the backsplash installed, and will paint the cabinets last (new hardware already installed since the existing cabinets didn't have any, but will be removed and reinstalled after painting). After living with the slab and backsplash for awhile, my cabinet color choice changed from my original plan, so I'm glad that I didn't paint the cabinets earlier in the process. It makes sense to paint the cabinets before installing the slab, but that's not how it worked out for me. Good luck with your kitchen remodel!

• FutureDriven
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Because my floors are busy I really want to keep eveything else simple and clean. Some type of white cabinet with oil rubbed bronze cabinet wear. I'm still clueless on the countertop, but something simple and white subway tile for the backsplash. This is my inspiration but I am not sure what kind of countertops these are. Anyone know?

• PRO
    Master Tile Kitchen and Bath Design
    hace 6 años

I'm guessing they are quartz countertops - a very good choice for kitchens - Caesarstone Frosty Carrina is soft and good looking :)

• Jamie Ludwig
    hace 6 años

Kohler Riverby 25" X 22" X 9-5/8" Under-Mount Kitchen Sink w/ Sink Rack, White · Más información

I agree with Patricia about the Apron sink. I am in the middle of a Kitchen re-do and have a corner sink like yours. Fitting an Apron sink at an angle like that is almost impossible. I ended up going with an undermount sink that is one large rectangle, it gives you some of the look and the function of the farm sink but with out the front apron and the headaches of fitting it in or having to modify your cabinets.

• Anna-Maria Camp Houin
    hace 6 años

I also agree with the no apron sink. Plain stainless or the undermount above for a timeless look would be nice. After the counters are complete, you may find you’re ok with the natural wood and a light, clear glass subway tile. Oak’s been around for over 100 years. Good luck!

• FutureDriven
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

I am becoming more open to the undermount sink. I know apron sinks can be difficult to install without doing custom cabinetry.

• FutureDriven
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Ok. I have an updated question. My kitchen walls are Sherwin Williams Pure White. What would be a good white color for the cabinets. I want some contrast but not too much.

• Jamie Ludwig
    hace 6 años

Contrast in Whites? Sounds strange to me. It may come off as you could not match them more than a contrast. Other than that you will need to choose between going in to the "cool" whites with a blue/grey tint or the "warm whites" with a yellow/cream tint. I think the direction you go should be based on what your counter and backsplash choices are. You don't want to go with a warm tone in your paint if your counter/backsplash mostly cool grey or visa-versa.

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    hace 6 años

I thought we already went over this. You pick your cabinet color before paint color. Matching whites can be hard, so I'd suggest just using the same white, but in a different sheen. It will give you that contrast you're looking for.

• Trem Wills
    hace 6 años
    I think the cabinet colour should be based primarily on your stone as opposed to the current wall colour.
  • FutureDriven
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

@Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design you are correct but we had the walls painted as soon as we bought the house so the walls are SW Pure White. Thanks for the suggestion on changing the sheen! I had not considered that making a difference in the same color!

• User
    hace 6 años

Floor choice is first, as that has to go throughout the whole home in an open concept. What are your choices to replace that busy floor with? A plain natural looking wood? A natural looking porcelain slate look?

• PRO
    Ladd Suydam Contracting, LLC
    hace 6 años

London Grey- Ceasarstone

We just installed this London Grey in a kitchen remodel. You can see it here with the bright white subway and upper cabinetry. It has a lighter feel in the space than the color sample. There isn't a lot of movement going on but it has just enough to give it some interest. It also lends more warm than cool in terms of coloring. I posted this since it might work with the example kitchen you posted.

Crestwood Kitchen Remodel · Más información

Crestwood Kitchen Remodel · Más información

Good luck with your project!

FutureDriven agradeció a Ladd Suydam Contracting, LLC
  • FutureDriven
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

@Sophie Wheeler The floors are new. I like more of a modern farmstyle decor. Thats why we went with these floors. I guess these kitchens are similar to what I'm going for floor included.

• Carol Singletary
    hace 6 años
    Nice inspiration, but note that the walls are a very light green (sea salt maybe?) which provides just a bit of contrast to the white cabinets.
  • FutureDriven
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

@Carol Singletary good point. we may have to bite the bullet and have the walls painted again.

• FutureDriven
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Is it common to have kitchen cabinets and the wall be the same color?

• Jamie Ludwig
    hace 6 años

You can do them the same color and it will look OK, it's really all based on if YOU like it or not. If you do decide to paint the walls it would be a chance to tie a color that is in your counter top or flooring. If there is not a common color for both I would tie one from the counter first.

• FutureDriven
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

I'm thinking if everything is SW pure white with subway tile backsplah, black counter tops would off set the white and I would get a look similar to this? thoughts?

These kitchens seem to have one white running throughout...

• pdjh
    hace 6 años
    We are beginning a kitchen reno too. There is so much to consider, isn't there? Here are my thoughts, for what they are worth... If you are painting the cabinets yourself, then save that colour selection for last, you will have lots of choice. If a professional is painting, then your colour choices may be limited, in which case I would make that selection first and consider how it will look with your floor and trimwork, baseboards, etc. Countertop should come next (or first, if you are painting the cupboards yourself). I like your idea of black, although I wonder if that may be too dark considering how dark your floor is. If you decide on a white backsplash, then I think it should match the colour of your cupboards as closely as possible.
  • FutureDriven
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thanks for the advice @pdjh. We are having them professionally painted. I know we want simple white subway tiles for the backsplash but im not sure of the grout yet. I'm also concerned about the black counters with the dark floors but since everything will be such a stark white i think it might be ok and add the needed contrast.

• Jamie Ludwig
    hace 6 años

I like the dark counters with the white cabinets. We are right in the middle of putting in our new kitchen and I also choose a dark counter to contrast with my white cabinets. Blue Pearl Granite is what I am doing. It is black with flecks of silver/gray and blue.

• FutureDriven
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

So another question, when we do the backsplash should it go all the way up the wall around the arch around the sink? Or...do we leave the arch blank?

• Carol Singletary
    hace 6 años
    Personally, I don't think you want to tile the arch. But the pros may have better ideas.
  • PRO
    Stecki Construction
    hace 6 años

Paint the cabinets first! Maybe darker granite with some gray in it would look nice! I would not extend the subway tile all the way up to the arch. Instead, find some wall decor that looks good there.

• FutureDriven
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Alright guys I wanted to add in an update! The countertop, backsplash, and new sink are in!!! I love it. What color should we paint the cabinets now that you see the new updates? Should we stick with the same color as the walls?

• Carol Singletary
    hace 5 años
    I see no one answered. Do you HAVE to paint the cabinets? I like the warm wood tones with the new whites. Maybe just replace hardware?
  • Jennifer Michaels
    hace 11 meses

What countertop did you end up choosing? It looks so nice with the oak cabinets? I have oak too and wondering what to put in.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.