mama23punks

are penny tiles to slippery on the shower floor?

shannon
hace 6 años
looking to put in penny tile on a walk in shower floor, and wondering if this is going to be a falling hazard? any penny tile veterans out there? thanks for your time!

Comentarios (11)

• PRO
    Master Tile Kitchen and Bath Design
    hace 6 años

Penny tile has a lot of grout joints which will provide good grip even on a shower floor. We use them often for shower floors. :)

• PRO
    Cassandra Warner Design
    hace 6 años

My contractor likes to use unsanded grout so the shower floor is easier to clean as the abrasive grout attracts dirt. I have never used penny rounds on a shower floor, not sure if matte penny rounds would still work anyways with unsanded grout?

• PRO
    Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.
    hace 6 años

Some sanded grout is rough, and some not so much . We use Laticrete Permacolor or Laticrete Select as it is much stronger and a very smooth grout joint. All grout is not created equal. As for penny tiles for shower floor, most mosaics, like penny tiles, do create the friction that you need for a non-slip surface. Very acceptable selection for a shower floor in that regard. Please do be sure that the installer knows how to install these sheets of tiles without an obvious grid line as they generally come on sheets and you do not want to see the separation between the sheets. Here's a couple penny round floors we have installed. The "blue guest bath" used the penny rounds on the ceiling and niche as well, although we used white on floor but pulled a few of the blue penny tiles from the ceiling blend to break it up and add interest.

• shannon
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    gorgeous! thank you for all these comments!
  • PRO
    Creative Tile Eastern CT
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

To add to Mongo & Dragonfly's good advise on the Laticrete products which I also use. My first choice would have been Mapei FA. (Personal preference only). Not knowing what is available near you it's just another option. As stated above no to unsanded.

• kudzu9
    hace 6 años

There will be no problem with slipperiness. The main issues are:

1. The somewhat bigger challenge in cleaning a floor like this.

2. Whether this trend has peaked and will look dated all-too-soon.

• sloyder
    hace 6 años

lots of crevices for your feet to grab ahold of, unlike a larger format tile.

• amanda99999
    hace 6 años

Keep in mind the pockets of grout to clean dirt out of. We had penny tile - original to our 1920s house - on the bathroom floor (not shower). Granted it was black tile with almost black grout - the worst IMO for showing dirt etc. It was hard to clean: the grout areas are large and depressed below the top of the tile that you walk on. (So I'd vacuum first, then scrub the grout pockets individually. Ugh.) If you are ok with that, then go for it - not too slippery because of all that grout. It was beautiful! We replaced it with white 1" hex tile, medium gray grout, and while I'm sure its getting just as dirty I can't see the dirt, hair, etc.

• PRO
    Creative Ceramic & Marble/ Bill Vincent
    hace 6 años

Hell, with all the good advice y'all are getting, you don't need me here!! LOL

• Nancy in Mich
    hace 6 años

Amanda99999, do you think it was more the color of the penny tile and grout that caused your problems, or the raised dome effect of the little round tiles being higher than the grout surface?

I ask because my "frugal" half is getting ready to buy a mixed gray penny tile for the room floor, and I would probably use a light gray grout. (My spendthrift half is zeroed in on a porcelain marble-look dog bone basket weave that costs almost three times as much.)

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.