Houzz Logo Print
sspeevak

Vinyl plank health issues

sspeevak
hace 6 años

I am considering vinyl plank flooring but concerned about health issues concerning emissions (VOC). My concern is both for my personal health and for resale. While I appreciate that vinyl won’t add to resale value in same way as doing hardwood, I don’t want to loose value or potential purchasers due to real or perceived health concerns of vinyl plank. I know flooring companies will attest to having certification seals, etc but don’t know if I can trust his. Has anyone researched this or have an opinion on the issue?

Comentarios (7)

• miacometlady
    hace 6 años
    Is waiting and saving for hardwood an option?
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Unless you are very chemically sensitive, Use a Fusion LVP which has greenguard gold certify. Also beautiful LVP, seven foot planks

http://www.fusionvisionfloors.com/about/

The GREENGUARD Gold Certification standard includes health based
    criteria for additional chemicals and also requires lower total VOC
    emissions levels to ensure that products are acceptable for use in
    environments such as schools and healthcare facilities. In addition to
    limiting emissions of more than 360 VOCs and total chemical emissions,
    GREENGUARD Gold Certified products must also comply with requirements of
    the State of California’s Department of Public Health (CDPH) “Standard
    Method for the Testing and Evaluation of Volatile Organic Chemical
    Emissions from Indoor Sources Using Environmental Chambers, Version 1.2
    (2017)
    ” (also known as California Section 01350). Office Furniture
    products that are GREENGUARD Gold Certified are also compliant with the
    BIFMA X7.1 standard and BIFMA e3 credits 7.6.1, 7.6.2, and 7.6.3.

• H G
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

I am concerned about the outgassing of vinyl planks. Also, some installations require glue, more voc's. I will be checking out some samples of Inhaus Sono. https://www.inhaussurfaces.com/sono They are completely free of PVC, formaldehyde, phthalates or plasticizers. It is also a waterproof product. I need flooring for the basement and have considered Adura Max and Armstrong's Vivero. We have family members with asthma so I am trying to figure things out.

• SJ McCarthy
    hace 6 años

Basement will require a vapour barrier. The installation instructions will tell you that. If asthma is an issue, then have a look at click-together cork. It will need a vapour barrier as well (nothing different from the vinyl). The extra pluses are warmth (7 F - 12 F INCREASE in warmth just by installing cork), reduced heating/cooling costs (can be as much as 30% for the area it is installed in) and NOISE REDUCTION.

Vinyl doesn't do any of that. Cork is renowned for being easy on the lungs. Very, very, very few people find cork hard to live with (ie. breathing issues, headaches, nausea, etc....these are intensely rare with cork).

• Leheart J.
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

As a prospective home-buyer, I turned down all homes that had Vinyl or Luxury Vinyl Planks. I even turned down Laminate Floored homes, because I couldn't trust whether the previous owner used cheap flooring from mainland China or not. Lumber Liquidators had lots of laminate floors from China that emitted hazardous levels of formaldehyde, a known carcinogen (things that cause cancer). Cannot trust anything from mainland China. The lastest scandal they had were fake vaccinations that killed babies.

There are no federal laws or rules prohibiting the group of chemicals known as phthalates from vinyl flooring. "When kids play on the floor, they are exposed just as much as if it's in the toys," said Tony Iallonardo, spokesman for Safer Chemicals, Healthy Families. "It's a major cause of exposure for children." Children have been found to be particularly at risk to phthalate exposure, because their systems are still developing, they tend to have a lot more exposure to floors and put their hands in their mouths alot.

https://money.cnn.com/2015/04/22/news/companies/home-depot-vinyl-floor-chemical/index.html

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.