Houzz Logo Print
coriannh0uzzviolatedmyprivacy

Where to buy Pacific Coast Irises locally in NorCal?

Hi there! I usually buy rhizomes through the mail from Leonine Iris (fantastic selection and service) in Washington, but does anyone know if there is a place where I can buy Pacific Coast Irises locally in Northern California? It seems like we should have a local nursery and garden, maybe in the north Bay Area, like Marin or even more north up towards the redwoods? Or maybe more south near Santa Cruz?

There is this link that lists places to buy: http://www.pacificcoastiris.org/gardeniris_nurseries.html, but it isn’t current. Elkhorn is closed, Larner doesn’t have any, Mostly Natives has just a few. I have never been to Bay View Gardens in Santa Cruz and really like Ghio’s introductions. Has anyone been? Is it open to the public? Are there PCI sales, or just a garden? Anyone know of any other local places to buy PCIs in Northern California? Thank you!!! :-)

Comentarios (14)

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    hace 6 años

I was a member of the Pacific Coast Iris Society way back when, and my memory is that they had all kinds of sources. I had PCI in every color of the rainbow. I do see them for sale around here from time to time, but not a great selection and not the interesting colors. Have you joined the Society? That's certainly the place to start.

Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy agradeció a Sara Malone Zone 9b
  • Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Hi Sara. Thank you. I’m more interested in purchasing locally or seeing local PCI gardens at this time. Although in time I may be able to join the society it’s not something I can do right now. I wish the society had a current web page. It’s really not current at all. :-(

The society webpage is where I looked first, but they don’t seem to have current listings for sources in this area. Which, honestly, is another reason I don’t feel that interested in joining right now. That may sound not so great, but it’s honest.

Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thank you!

• PRO
    Brown Dion Design
    hace 6 años

I suggest looking at the CNPS website for native plant nursery's in your area. They have them listed here: http://www.calscape.org/plant_nursery.php. Annies Annuals also has some varieties. Also check arboretum plant sales this spring. I don't know if the UC Berkeley arboretum has a spring plant sale, but here is a link for the UC Davis arboretum: http://arboretum.ucdavis.edu - I know they have a spring plant sale, but like many you have to be in line very early. Hope this helps!

Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy agradeció a Brown Dion Design
  • PRO
    Brown Dion Design
    hace 6 años

I just looked and the UCD arboretum plant sale is March 10th. It's for members only, but you can join at the door as its a fundraiser.

Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy agradeció a Brown Dion Design
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thanks for the info for UC Davis! Hopefully they will have a few PCIs, but even if they don’t it will be a good event.

Annie’s Annuals may have some PCIs later since they usually have a few, but they actually don’t have any in stock.

Seems like Leonine Iris may be the best since they have such a variety. I have always been a happy customer, I just want to visit a PCI garden in person and buy local. We really should have one in NorCal.

I will try to keep looking into Ghio’s garden in Santa Cruz.

• chadinlg Zone 9b Los Gatos CA
    hace 6 años

Joe Ghio's Garden does not do on-site sales of PCN's. One day a year he does have a fire-sale of excess TB Iris. He does not accept visitors... If you go to the Monterrey Bay Iris show you may meet Joe and see some exhibited PCN hybrids.

April 29, 2017 and April 30th, 2017 at the Louden Nelson Community
    Center, 301 Center Street, Santa Cruz, CA. The show is open to the
    public from noon until 6 on Saturday and 11 am until 5 pm on Sunday.
    Admission is free.

The only time you can divide and plant PCN in Bay area is Oct-Nov. This is when Bay View and other growers will ship bare roots.

If you want to more access to Iris look to local club sales or join a local Iris club.

The SPCNI has their seed sale on now, membership is required and can be purchased at the same time.

Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy agradeció a chadinlg Zone 9b Los Gatos CA
  • faerygardener z7 CA
    hace 6 años

We occasionally have them at our group's Master Gardener Plant Sales. You might check out some of the others. I have friends in Walnut Creek, but looks like they just focus on a tomato sale: http://ccmg.ucanr.edu/EdibleGardening/GreatTomatoPlantSale/ You can find the groups with links to their pages with events (that will list sales if they have them, not all groups do) here: http://mg.ucanr.edu/FindUs/

Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy agradeció a faerygardener z7 CA
  • faerygardener z7 CA
    hace 6 años

UC Davis Arboretum also has public plant sales - just the first one is members only. They often have a list available ahead of time.

Public Sale Dates:

Saturday, April 7 | Sunday, April 29 | Saturday, May 12 (Clearance Sale)

http://publicgarden.ucdavis.edu/plant-sales

• faerygardener z7 CA
    hace 6 años

And, you might want to check out the DVC (Diablo Valley College) Hort plant sales - they were always fantastic when I lived in the area - I'd send a message through their Facebook page and ask if they have any Pacific Coast Iris. One very active page manager went on to other things. But I suspect you'll still hear back in a reasonable amount of time.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/DVCHorticulture/events/?ref=page_internal 

Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thanks Faerygardener! Perfect timing since there is a DVC plant sale coming up, from 3-6 on Friday the 23, and from 9-1 on Saturday the 24th.

ChadinLG, thanks for the info about Bayview and Ghio. For what I’m looking for, it seems like it may be best for me to just keep ordering from Leonine Iris. I may just need to take a trip to Leonine Iris in Washington in May to see their open garden. :-)

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    hace 6 años

I used to buy them at the Merritt College garden sales. Or,Tilden Botanical Garden. Maybe,Berkeley and SF botanical garden sales. Tilden would for sure have them.

There are a couple of native plant nurserys in the west bay. You have to google for that..I never tried them- yet!

Autor original
    hace 6 años

Just thought I would let everyone know, there were a few Iris Douglasiana at the DVC Feb plant sale (still going on tomorrow too). They also had a few other interesting plants (I also picked up some Watsonia). :-)

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.