ksr24

Missing: art/painting for over my couch

hace 6 años

Not sure what would look good over my couch. Lots of color, or not so much color? Not to mention, how large to go? I cycle between something abstract, floral or landscape. Couch is 72 inches wide, wall is 8 ft high. Our room colors are fairly neutral: grey, light blue, cream, tan, and dark brown. I would appreciate any suggestion(s).

Comentarios (35)

• PRO
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

I suggest a matching floor lamp for starters.

Choose a rug first as it will probably be more than a canvas.

As an example:

Use three lumbar pillows instead of the two you have now.

Consider a light tone, rectangular coffee table.

Kathy RA agradeció a JudyG Designs
  • hace 6 años

Maybe with jute rug -

enameled with hues of blue, green, and brown. Textured plates give a rustic woven detail that adds dimension to any space. It comes ready to hang. W 46.46" / D 20.08" / H 2.17"

Stratton Home Decor Asheville Textured Plates Wall Decor · Más información
    https://www.houzz.com/products/stratton-home-decor-asheville-textured-plates-wall-decor-prvw-vr~94865065

Manufactured ByStratton Home Décor

Kathy RA agradeció a everdebz
  • hace 6 años

With this rug? Good reviews.

Moroccan Blythe Contemporary Area Rug, Gray, 6'7"x9' · Más información
    https://www.houzz.com/products/moroccan-trellis-rug-gray-67x9-prvw-vr~89429322

• hace 6 años

Had photo 'open' and seems like your room a bit - plates/ basket lids can be ok.

Peninsula Point Residence · Más información
    https://www.houzz.com/photos/peninsula-point-residence-transitional-dining-room-orange-county-phvw-vp~3430257

• hace 6 años

3 metallic tones of silver, bronze and gold. 36W x 43D

Tricolor Wall Art · Más información
    https://www.houzz.com/products/tricolor-wall-art-prvw-vr~71356822

Sold By First of a Kind USA / W 36" / D 24" / 2" / 9 lb.

• hace 6 años

If you like horses:

Stas - Horses Fine Art Giant Canvas Print, 72"x48" · Más información
    https://www.houzz.com/products/stas-horses-fine-art-giant-canvas-print-72x48-prvw-vr~94748515

• hace 6 años

Round sun, your round blue moon[s] ?

Oversized Abstract Tree Canvas Print, 36x24 · Más información
    https://www.houzz.com/products/oversized-abstract-tree-canvas-print-36x24-prvw-vr~53908336

• hace 6 años

If you want less casual than that, and more elegance... this is nice:

Ruka Framed Wall Decor, 47"x35.5" · Más información
    https://www.houzz.com/products/imax-home-11515-ruka-framed-wall-decor-prvw-vr~84337377

• hace 6 años

Could put this inside small tray, or hang 6 of these with plate hangers..? :)

iittala Kastehelmi Small Plate, Ultramarine, 1022964 · Más información
    https://www.houzz.com/products/iittala-kastehelmi-small-plate-ultramarine-blue-prvw-vr~105529581

• hace 6 años

Love the color of your walls and furniture!! I'd suggest matching end tables with matching lamps, and rectangular coffee table if you can afford to change. For the wall, I'd suggest a massive, gorgeous framed mirror centered above the couch. Opens up the room too.... (And maybe a few cute plants somewhere...)

Kathy RA agradeció a Laura Mac
  • hace 6 años

If you do want artwork, please visit my dear friend (and sorority sister ;-)) Karyn Millet's site for artwork! Her photography is breathtaking and she's featured at top hotels around the world and she shoots for magazines and covers in all the the top design magazines. She has gorgeous prints on canvas....

www.karynmillet.com (go to shop section)

Kathy RA agradeció a Laura Mac
  • hace 6 años

Art.com has lots of art.

• hace 6 años

Uttermost Misty Morning Hand Painted Art · Más información

"Capaneus" Oil Painting, 40"x50" · Más información

Muted Silhouette Hand Painted Artwork on Canvas · Más información

Uttermost Peaceful Landscape Art · Más información

Rugs:

Coral Reef Multi Rug, 5'x8' · Más información

Nourison Karma Rug, Blue, 5'3"x7'4" · Más información

Nourison Graphic Illusions Sky Area Rug, 5'3"x7'5" · Más información

Kaleidoscope 504D5 Abstract Grey/ Blue Area Rug, 5'3"x7'6" · Más información

• PRO
    hace 6 años

Here's some suggestion for your wall you might like......to know more about my Art work and collections please visit my shop -

http://www.pooviartgallery.com

****CUSTOM SIZE AVAILABLE ****

• hace 6 años

Coming late to the discussion, I hope I'm not being too repetitive.

I've left the question of a rug aside, because I can't make up my mind. I love the colour of the floor and don't want to cover it -- but a light rug would be good, to contrast with the coffee table.

Art -- I do think the room needs a large statement piece there. This I found courtesy of Laura Mac's reference to Karyn Millet's website -- I went to look at it out of curiosity and I find this cloud photograph so beautiful. Further, the room is wonderfully calm but in danger of being completely washed out, so I put dark cushions on the sofa for more depth, and hung a tray on the wall to the right for some metallic richness. (Trays are a neglected alternative to baskets and plates for walls, if you like the idea of hanging beautiful artefacts, as I do.) And I think you need white sheers on the windows, and a bit of green life in the corner.

Kathy RA agradeció a Rina
  • hace 6 años

You have a symmetrical layout with your furnishings and I can see why matching lamps/end tables are suggested. It will weight down the sofa which can be good.

Rug side should have all the furniture on it completely or all of the front legs of the furniture on it.

Curtains can go from ceiling to floor with ten to twelve inches on stack back on each side of window area; idea if stack backs should be one third the width of the window divided by two for with of curtains on wall beyond window.

Art work above sofa should be 2/3 width of sofa minimum and go beyond that is fine.

Bottom of art work should be within 5-12 inches of sofa top.

Large art work is very on trend now and readily available.

Note large art work and low lamp in pic below.

Notting Hill House · Más información

Good luck; I like what you have done so far!

Kathy RA agradeció a Susan Davis
  • PRO
    hace 6 años

I suggest drapery panels to match the color of your sofa, large art on the back wall, a larger table lamp for the corner and a patterned rug.

Kathy RA agradeció a BeverlyFLADeziner
  • hace 6 años
    The light blue is a very unwelcoming colour. The furniture needs to be brought together by a large rug. You could put large art above the sofa or you could create a gallery wall of smaller pieces evenly spaced.
  • hace 6 años

I would avoid a rug with any/much blue in it. Art is very subjective, so I would find your size/price range, and then start exploring. Etsy is a great place to shop for art. Here's a few ideas I had to bring in a few more warm tones from your floors. Some neutral rugs..

art - Polyvore · Más información

Cream 8' x 10' Transitional Indoor/Outdoor Rug | Area Rugs | eSaleRugs · Más información

Ceres Striped Rug | Crate and Barrel · Más información

Canterbury Natural Stripe White & Blue Area Rug design by Jaipur – BURKE DECOR · Más información

Kathy RA agradeció a kulrn
  • hace 6 años

I live with MIL whose walls are also light blue - I have tried different colors, and it does liven up the room - whatever art really gives you a pizzazz smile - buy that....

clay / orange.... cherry / ruby.... warm golden yellow... to add: physiological reaction to color has been studied, but basically 'unwelcome is in the eye of the beholder'....

• hace 6 años
    Beverly has give good advice. The room is
    peacefully inviting.....no pops of color needed.
    Kathy RA agradeció a R M
  • hace 6 años

I'm definitely missing more than just art. Thank you all for curtain and rug recommendations (BeverlyFLADeziner, kulrn). Blue floral print (JudyG Designs) suggestion is so beautiful but celerygirl's and Rina's ideas for adding warmth and color, I really like. Where is the grey and white geometric pattern rug from (celerygirl)?

• PRO
    hace 6 años

Jaipur Living City Seattle Ct69 Silver Blue - Green Tint Area Rug is from rug studio and from Rugs USA

Kathy RA agradeció a Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • hace 6 años

Thanks for the info about the rug. I am going to check it out! I should have also asked where do you look for art? Or more specifically, from where is the cityscape painting? And even the curtains? I like your eye and how you warmed up the room.

• hace 6 años

This one from celerygirl pretty much nailed it:

Notice how she took the tiny bit of orange in the art and repeated it on the coffee table. That gives just the spark the room needs without being overbearing.

Look for art at gallerydirect.com, greatbigcanvas.com, and art.com

Kathy RA agradeció a groveraxle
  • hace 6 años

I did notice and am searching for art with a similar color scheme including the bit of orange. Trying to find those curtains, too.

• Kathy RA agradeció a groveraxle
  • hace 6 años

Trajectory Loft Art by Silvia Vassileva at Art.com · Más información

Gallery Direct Fine Art Prints: Loopy Birds by Judy Paul · Más información

• hace 6 años

Everyone provided great and much needed suggestions for decorative touches that I wanted to ask whether having a fireplace on the other side of the room would make a difference to art/painting choices. It's a bit of a wide open space behind the chairs and front door so any ideas for there would be appreciated as well.

• hace 6 años

That fireplace really doesn't impact the sitting area, but you can probably do better on decor in that odd space. It looks more utilitarian than decorative, so I would make it look like a place where you might just sit to warm up.

• hace 6 años

I couldn't find the sheepskin bench I wanted, so I gave you stools.

• hace 6 años

Landscape art · Más información

Landscape art · Más información

Check my landscape collection please.

Thanks,

Ramya

Kathy RA agradeció a User
  • PRO
    hace 6 años

Happy to do a quick art search for an abstract piece with a touch of orange if you can share your budget

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.