Houzz Logo Print
petewwilson

Curb Appeal Advice - How should we update the exterior of this home?

petewwilson
hace 10 años
We are purchasing this home and would like to give it a facelift. Our initial thoughts were to:

- paint the entire house white (including the brick) and paint the shutters black
- adding a small portico (with a copper roof)
- new gray slate style roof
- new gutters and downspouts (brown/copper color)
- adding 2 (or 3?) dormers
- update landscaping

We'd welcome your thoughts as we are open to all ideas! We really don't know how these changes will look so we'd love comments. Thanks!

Comentarios (19)

• PRO
    gingerclaire
    hace 10 años
    Wow, that's certainly an impressive new house! The first question I'd ask is how is the front door approached? If it looked clearer, I think the whole house would look more balanced. I would also try to balance up the size of the planting on both sides.

I would leave the brick as it is, but change the colour of the shutters to one that provides a stronger contrast to the brick colour. I would go for a darker shade for the side wing.
  • PRO
    Window World of Colorado
    hace 10 años
    Have you thought about adding a porch or a sunroom? I like the brick as well, and I agree with @gingerclaire about painting the wing a darker shade.
  • justinalexx
    hace 10 años
    i agree that the brick should be left natural, however, if you have your heart set on painting it, the projects you described would look wonderful
  • rouxb
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    Your plan list sounds like you are trying to alter the style of the home-what is your vision? The brick is beautiful and perfect for the style of the house so I question painting it. Why dormers? It sounds a bit like you are unsure what you ultimately want. Maybe looking through some photos might help you pin down your vision.
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 10 años
    Your plans sound good, but painted brick is a constant maintenance issue. If you paint it white, you'll want the downspouts to fade into the painted brick and not stand out. The attached pic is not great, but is a source for how your addition should be if you can alter it. I'd spend the money there and not on painting the brick.
    Ely Farm I · Más información
  • rileywill122
    hace 10 años
    Definitely paint it white it will look absolutely stunning! I think once you do everything on your list you will release the curb appeal will be taken care of ;)
  • PRO
    Shannon Taylor Scarlett, Architects
    hace 10 años
    I like the white brick, and the other changes as well. Landscaping will add to the character as well, here's a formal but slightly less rigid option [houzz=
    Rose Garden · Más información
    ]
  • libradesigneye
    hace 10 años
    You can stain brick and then you could get a mid-tone gray out of the brick you have now. White would be nice. You need a photoshop workshop with someone to try all the options - so you can play with it yourself. I think the dormers only make sense $ if they really make an attic room terrific or they raise the ceilings in some important bedrooms on the second level. Beautiful home - congratulations!
  • Terri Stutzman
    hace 10 años
    I wouldn't paint the brick either, natural looks nice and is way easier to maintain. Its the #1 reason I would want to own a natural brick house! The red shutters are blending in too much with the house, it needs contrast. I agree with Gingerclair, this scheme would look great on your house with a deeper brick red on the addition:
    Sharondale · Más información
    Your roofline looks low for dormers. Put your $ in a Landscape designer to give your yard an update with balance and color. A copper portico would be fantastic.
  • PRO
    Window World of Central Alabama
    hace 10 años
    I agree with @Gingerclair and @Terri Stutzman about the color scheme, like you said changing the shutters color would look great since it would contrast the brick.
  • PRO
    Color Zen
    hace 10 años
    What a lovely house! There are many new color possibilities here (especially with the new roof) and the paint will completely transform! I would highly recommend using a designer to recolor a photo of your home. This will give you added confidence in moving forward. I have found it to be the most value-added service we offer. If you would like to see some examples of recent client exterior recolors, check out our blog.
  • PRO
    Timberlane Shutters
    hace 10 años
    Such a beautiful home with so much potential! You sound like you are on the right track with changing the color scheme, but I have to agree with the others about painting the brick and the shutters. Painting brick is very hard to maintain, and sometimes when you paint existing shutters they tend to fade a lot quicker than normal. If you do not paint them correctly they also tend to chip. Are these vinyl shutters? Timberlane offers an extensive list of shutter types and styles with the exception of vinyl. We offer wooden, maintence-free synethic, and wood composite shutters to build your dream shutters out of.
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    hace 10 años
    Before you decide to paint all of that low/no maintenance brick, I would try changing the roof to your slate-look gray (love it!), painting the sided portion to a medium gray, the shutters to a dark gray and the front door to either a shiny gloss black or an accent color. That alone will change the whole look of the house and you can decide on painting the brick at that point.
  • Elisa
    hace 9 años
    I don't think the dormers will work with such a shallow-pitched hip roof. There is not enough height or space to make them look cohesive. We added dormers to our house, but had a 12:12 gable roof to work with.
  • PRO
    Balber Architecture, Inc.
    hace 9 años
    I like your ideas…just a few comments: PLEASE don’t paint the brick white! Brick is beautiful and I don’t know how many houses I’ve seen with painted brick that they are trying to get rid of the paint to show off the brick. With you on the small portico, however, I think that amongst the asymmetry of this house, the materiality of the roof is one of the strong unifiers - therefore I wouldn’t introduce another roof material such as copper. Lots of people would look at this home and right away try to FORCE it to be symmetrical. The fact is, it isn’t. You have an entire two story wing on the right hand side that does away with the symmetry…but that is ok. Don’t fight it. Asymmetry brings interest to an otherwise boring/cookie-cutter façade. Instead of hiding the asymmetry, accentuate it. Your idea of updating the landscaping is good…but how you execute it is important. Refer to my rendering. I would continue the line of shrubs to the right to create rhythm. In terms of painting white, I would stucco over the siding on the right wing and then paint it pure white. I would reintroduce the white in the front portico. Then back to the landscape, I would pick a smaller shrub for the left of the house to again show that the house has different things on the left then on the right. I would actually not add any dormers in this case. I think it would be too much and would again be trying to force the symmetry thing. If this house didn’t have the right wing on it that would be another story, but alas it does. I wouldn’t be in a rush to change the shingle roof either. Many neoclassical buildings used shingle and it looks just fine. I mention neoclassical because you can see how I pulled off the front classical temple front with a double ionic column/base on the edges. I brought the brick of the house into the architrave and then I used a typical white frieze under the soffit. The white of the frieze will pop out the white in the other places I show. I also wouldn’t introduce any other roof types such as a gable. Once again, the roof is a great unifier of this house…stick with the hips even on the portico. Good luck! :)
  • PRO
    Julia & Elizabeth
    hace 9 años
    I like all of your ideas. I don't think the dormers are necessary and the roof line might not be high enough. Beautiful house...have fun!
  • tatts
    hace 9 años
    Never turn a no-maintenance item into a maintenance item. That means no paint on the bricks.
    The rest of your ideas are good except the dormers; the roof is too shallow. All you'll be able to put up there are tiny, mimsy little things that are too small for the scale of the house (and there's only room over the 3 windows in the center of the facade to do it).
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    hace 9 años
    1.5 year old post and petewwilson has never responded...
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.