Houzz Logo Print
justindesiree

I hate my new kitchen

Faith M
hace 6 años

I want to cry. We put new flooring in that didn't match our cabinets. So, instead of just changing the flooring in the kitchen to make it match, I decided to hire a professional to paint the cabinets white to match the wood floors. The painter ruined them. So much so that other painters didn't even want to attempt to fix them. We then decided to get new cabinets. At this point, I should have replaced them with the original colored cabinets and changed the floors... at least I know I would have liked it. BUT, I kept trying to match the cabinets to the floors. So, I got white cabinets. I HATE how it looks. I always see all these pretty white kitchens, but mine just looks cheap. And the cabinets and flooring were pricey. I don't know what to do to get this kitchen to look good. Please tell me what is wrong with my kitchen and how fix it.

Comentarios (91)

• Melissa
    hace 6 años

The kitchen looks super pretty but the first thing my eyes went to were the black appliances and the knobs. Maybe a brushed nickel would soften the cabinets and blend a little better. I think you just need a pop of color in there, walls, accessories, etc.. If you are really unhappy with the cabinet look, try adding some trim to the top to take them to the ceiling.

Faith M agradeció a Melissa
  • Heather N
    hace 6 años

Melissa - I agree with the knobs. I think that updated hardware might make it look a little more modern. Maybe handles instead of knobs, especially on the bottom cabinets?

Faith M agradeció a Heather N
  • Melissa
    hace 6 años

5" Center Solid Steel Cabinet Hardware Bar Pull, Stainless Steel · Más información
    I was thinking something slim like this

Faith M agradeció a Melissa
  • Heather N
    hace 6 años

Melissa - would you pair those with the bin pulls? They feel more modern to me and the bin pulls feel more traditional. I would remove the bin pulls if I did those stainless steel pulls. Or put a more traditional but still updated handle with the existing bin pulls.

• Heather N
    hace 6 años

Or maybe more updated bin pulls?

• PRO
    SJS Interiors
    hace 6 años
    I don't think it looks bad. Maybe painting the walls a little darker would help.
    Faith M agradeció a SJS Interiors
  • User
    hace 6 años

Lighting. Recessed lights, task lights, maybe a pendant over your sink.

Tile backsplash.

It's a nice kitchen!

Faith M agradeció a User
  • Darlene
    hace 6 años
    It looks lovely. It can be dressed up by adding a backsplash - that can really transform the look of a kitchen.
    Faith M agradeció a Darlene
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

I think it looks fine. what's really bumming me is that florescent light fixture.

https://www.younghouselove.com/2013/12/lights-ceiling-action/ how to remove it

beg, borrow or steal, but remove that antiquated dinosaur and replace it with something like a semi flush mount or flush mount kitchen light. (and if you guys could have a popcorn ceiling scraping party, all the better!)

since the hole won't be centered in the middle, and if you don't put in recessed lights, you may have to do these track lights, which is still better than what you have

Your paint colors look 'off' in there because of the light. gives off horrible coloring. look up 'how to switch out florescent kitchen light fixture' and do it yourself. it isn't difficult.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/43699058855405550/?lp=true

after you get some new lights in there (get new LED bulbs with a 4000 or more temperature), then pick your paint color. a nice sage or soft blue would look nice.

for a little island, can you spare 100-300? maybe less if you can do some DIY? you can actually make a simple one for 50 bucks. Check craigslist for leftover lumber, reclaimed wood, beams, or even a small sofa table you could make into an island.

you can easily make something like this

Paint it green or blue. That first comment that auntthelma posted of the light green/blue one is perfect.

see the color of this kitchen? you can do this color for yours

look on craigslist for a sofa table on console like this. paint it. top w/your left over countertop if you have any. if not, get a remnant of a solid black, or white, or make a butcher block.

Seriously, change out that light fixture and get an island,,,maybe a cute rug for in front of the sink. way better.

for help w/popcorn ceilings and ideas:

How to remove,,properly,,and cheap!

https://rainonatinroof.com/2014/09/remove-popcorn-ceilings/

how to remove or plank:

http://theletteredcottage.net/popcorn-ceiling-to-plank-ceiling/

https://www.hometalk.com/1569100/popcorn-ceiling-makeover-low-budget-big-impact?expand_all_questions=1

https://www.popsugar.com/home/How-Get-Rid-Popcorn-Ceiling-37461128

Faith M agradeció a Beth H. :
  • Heather N
    hace 6 años

Did you specifically choose partial overlay cabinets vs full overlay cabinets? Or did you just pick out the cabinet doors and the color and then the cabinet company did the rest? That might be what is bothering you about the kitchen. You can change partial overlay to full overlay, but not sure if that is worth it to you at this point. Partial overlay can look very nice, it is just a different look from full overlay or inset.

Partial overlay white kitchen

Full overlay white kitchen

• PRO
    Affordable Quality Kitchens & Stone
    hace 6 años

I think the fact they are not full overlay cabinets it is making you think they look cheap. I would try doing Sherwin Williams Sea Salt paint.

Faith M agradeció a Affordable Quality Kitchens & Stone
  • lshack17
    hace 6 años
    Your kitchen really is pretty. As mentioned by many others there are lots of things you can still do to make the kitchen something you love. An island, stainless steel appliances ect. I think as soon as budget permits, the backsplash in blue, silver, gray or any of the colors you mentioned should be priority. A well thought out backsplash can make such a huge visual impact, I like to think of it as the "jewelry " of the kitchen. So many bad feelings are attached to the cabinets that were ruined by an incompetent painter, a shiny new backsplash will make you forget.

One last thought...I think many of us are so conditioned by all the "reveals" on HGTV where everything in a room is picture perfect and so editorial. Many of us can't do appliances, island, accessories, lighting all at once. I just went through this when we built our home. We want it all to be perfect yesterday, and if it's not then your mind starts playing tricks and suddenly you second guess everything. Just be patient, take your time, it will all work out.
    Faith M agradeció a lshack17
  • User
    hace 6 años

Swap out a couple of cabinets for drawer bases. There isn’t one single drawer base in the whole kitchen. And make that fluorescent light go away. Add lighting. Under cabinet lighting. Recessed lighting. And a nice sized pendant over an island. Paint the upper wall above the cabinet the same color as the cabinets. It will elongate the shorter cabinets.

Faith M agradeció a User
  • R S
    hace 6 años
    What color were the original cabinets? Definitely add lighting, and an island if you can.
    Faith M agradeció a R S
  • Heather N
    hace 6 años

Another thing that would make it look more custom is to build cabinetry around the refrigerator. Just frame it out so that the fridge slides into it with a small cabinet above it and then panel the long exposed side by the doorway next to the fridge or hang cute letter sorters there. This could easily be added to your existing setup. And I agree with the comment about adding some lower drawers and changing out the black range. You have a great layout with tons of counter space!

You said that you “always see these pretty white kitchens.” Just remember that many of those dream white kitchens are incredibly expensive!!! You are worried that your kitchen looks cheap. I don’t think it looks cheap, but it doesn’t look like a $200k kitchen, which is what many of the kitchens cost that you see in magazines. Unless you live in a multi-million dollar home, it would be ridiculous to have a $200k kitchen. If you do a white kitchen with custom inset cabinetry and calacatta marble countertops and a Wolf range and a paneled Sub-Zero fridge, it will probably look very nice, but also be crazy expensive. Some of those beautiful backsplashes cost $400 per square foot. So please cut yourself some slack!!

• tatts
    hace 6 años

The thing that I notice is that every one of the cabinets adjacent to the stove (both upper and lower) are hinged on the wrong side! You should be able to stand at the stove and open those cabinets without walking around the door to access the inside. Those cabinets are where you would store cooking pans, baking sheets, oils and spices, etc. Weird (but it can be fixed easily).

Faith M agradeció a tatts
  • Steven
    hace 6 años
    Smooth ceiling finish, new lighting, and an extra cabinet buildout over the fridge with matching panels left and right. You’re good to go
    Faith M agradeció a Steven
  • cat_ky
    hace 6 años

Your kitchen looks very nice. Its just very bland. It needs color. On the pictures above, there is one picture that stood out to me, with a color that would look great in your kitchen. It has the white cabinets and an aqua color and was posted by auntthelma. Below the picture it says apartment #1.

Faith M agradeció a cat_ky
  • PRO
    Home Art Tile Kitchen & Bath
    hace 6 años

Your kitchen doesn't look cheap at all. Think about getting nice pendants, different hardware, and an island. I would consult a designer for help.

Faith M agradeció a Home Art Tile Kitchen & Bath
  • Jamie Ludwig
    hace 6 años

I think color on your walls at this point will really give you a more finished look your are going for and add that WOW factor with very little cost. Then a few accessories on your counters or walls with the same color to tie to together.

Beach House 1st Floor · Más información

Spice Rack · Más información

Huntington Beach Kitchen Remodel · Más información

Faith M agradeció a Jamie Ludwig
  • Faith M
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thank you, all of you, for the responses! They are all very helpful. I would love to do one of the green or gray paint colors, but I feel they clash with the countertop because they are cream colored. It would probably help if I had a backsplash because they the paint wouldn't be right by the countertops, for the most part, but I don't know how soon I can add that. The first thing we want to do is switch out the black appliances.

There is a lot wrong with the cabinets... the contractor made some pretty major mistakes, unfortunately.

Some of those islands are amazing!

Here is a close-up of the countertops.

• Ashmo
    hace 6 años
    Have you tried paint sample of Revere Pewter by BM? The kitchen looks beautiful. Stainless appliances, new light fixtures, an island would also tie it together:)
    Faith M agradeció a Ashmo
  • Faith M
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thank you!! I have not tried Revere Pewter. I did try Repose Grey (too gray and cold) and Agreeable Gray... I didn't like either. They didn't do anything for the space. Is Revere Pewter similar to those or different enough that I should consider it?

ETA: Repose grey is the color to the left of the stove and Agreeable Grey is on the far right side of the stove.

• suezbell
    hace 6 años

Your kitchen doesn't look cheap -- it looks really good ... just a bit pale -- in need of color.

First: Paint the two cabinet dominated walls -- above the overhead cabinets and between the backsplash and overhead cabinets -- your favorite color.

Second: Add vertical vinyl blinds in a pale version of that same paint color or in a coordinating color to your window ... and/or add a stained glass window hanging in a design and with colors that cheer you up.

http://windowsdressedup.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Graber-Vertical-Blinds.jpg

If that isn't enough, consider changing your overhead light fixture to one with more color/interest/appeal.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/42/9d/8a/429d8ac976515c1eb4b048f3d1a3e926.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/42/9d/8a/429d8ac976515c1eb4b048f3d1a3e926.jpg

http://www.largelighting.com/files/3x7822277flush.jpg

• dyliane
    hace 6 años

you need an island and a nice pendant over it and backsplash

• Melissa R
    hace 6 años

I'll chime in with my SW Popular Gray. Perfect warmer grey might look great with your countertops

• Karin Cannon
    hace 6 años

It's all about the lighting. The dated fluorescent overhead light appears to be the only light source. It's not too expensive to replace & add LED canned lights & under mount cabinet lighting which would make a huge difference & brighten up your kitchen.

Faith M agradeció a Karin Cannon
  • L L
    hace 6 años

If you're not afraid of color I love a dark, bright blue. It will make the cabinets pop and give some warmth to the space.

Faith M agradeció a L L
  • Denita
    hace 6 años

Change your lighting before you select any paint color. Replacing that fluorescent fixture is the number one thing to do that will make you feel better about your kitchen. Fluorescent lighting is the worst and actually changes how the kitchen looks. Then add the other lighting you need https://www.houzz.com/magazine/how-to-choose-your-kitchen-lighting-stsetivw-vs~92521205

Make the hinge changes that tatts posted.

Then make your other decisions.

I also think you need a drawer base unless you have it elsewhere in the kitchen not shown in your pics.

Faith M agradeció a Denita
  • Jamie Ludwig
    hace 6 años

IF you do like the idea of Grey on the walls don't let the cream in your counter top stop you. Find a back splash tile that you like that has both grey and cream and it will tie it all together. Something along these lines:

12"x11.5"Crackled Glass and Stone Mosaic Tile, Tahoe, Mixed Strips, Set of 5 · Más información

Faith M agradeció a Jamie Ludwig
  • Molly
    hace 6 años

Changing the wall color will help make the cabinets and flooring stand out. Right now they kind of all blend together.

Faith M agradeció a Molly
  • kulrn
    hace 6 años

I think there's enough gray in your counters to pull in the gray walls. You would have to do some test in your room to be sure though..

kitchen - Polyvore · Más información

Faith M agradeció a kulrn
  • PRO
    FarmhouseAwesome
    hace 6 años

Like the others, I would say the cheapest way to liven it up is to add lighting, specifically recessed, and perhaps under cabinet lighting. If you do recessed, I recommend the smaller 3" cans. For under cabinet, Kichler is great. I think your floors are nice. Perhaps eventually, you can do a full backsplash, which will help liven up the area. There are very affordable subway tile options for backsplash that won't clash with the counter--I'm not a fan of too much pattern if the counter has a lot going on. For paint colors, you should check out Repose gray. It's my absolute favorite gray because it has a warm tone. . And the only other recommend if you do decide to do recessed, is have someone remove the texture on the ceiling which will help it feel more clean and open.

Faith M agradeció a FarmhouseAwesome
  • Boxerpal
    hace 6 años

I love your kitchen! It is easy to forget how beautiful your space is when you peruse photos on Houzz. Keep in mind if you are comparing your kitchen to photos on Houzz, they are usually photographed with a professional photographer with blasts of light bulbs to create buckets of lighting. Image a photo of Giselle in Vogue and then your average joe neighbor. Who might look better? The photo in Vogue will have the professional touch while the neighbor photo might not have the little extras..

Your kitchen is beautiful. Your cabinets are simple yet elegant and your counters are a perfect color. I like the look of your floors. And while stainless appliances might give your kitchen a little more flare your kitchen is still lovely. When finances change and you have saved some money. You can splurge by adding your favorite paint color, updated hardware and a few little treasures that you can decorate with. I think a new light fixture could do wonders and even add some under and over cab lighting. But the bones of your kitchen are beautiful. You have done a nice job!

Faith M agradeció a Boxerpal
  • KateM
    hace 6 años

I think what makes it look 'cheap'-ish, or more like dated, are the cabinet knobs and plain beige paint with no backsplash. The floor is beautiful and the cabinets themselves are fine, but I would definitely update the pulls to slim handles like someone linked above. And of course the appliances.

Faith M agradeció a KateM
  • suezbell
    hace 6 años

Consider adding some dark bold emerald green and/or dark bold cobalt blue, perhaps as art and/or trivets hanging on the wall and/or sun catchers and/or canisters on the counter.

• Faith M
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thought I would update. So far, I have painted a slightly darker color, added some new decor, and switched out the black stove for a stainless one. I still plan on adding a backsplash and a new light fixture. I might change the drawer pulls as well. They are new, but I do think they aren't the right type for this kitchen.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 6 años

looks good. and so do the fixtures. have you decided on a light fixture yet?

Faith M agradeció a Beth H. :
  • Faith M
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

I haven't decided on a light fixture, yet. I'm not sure if I want one hanging down in front of the cabinets above the stove because I actually like those cabinets and want to see them. Any suggestions? Might have to do recessed lighting?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 6 años

recessed would be great if you can swing it.

if not, some flush mount fixtures or semi flush mount

• User
    hace 6 años

Get rid of the black appliances and bring in stainless steel, a new light fixture in place of the florescent garage light, a wood island or table, and some colorful accessories. My opinion, of course. Hope you work it out!

• Susan Davis
    hace 6 años

Pot lights in a perimeter pattern (about 12 inches from cabinets) the ceiling, a soffit with crown moulding over the cabinets, modern long SS cabinet handles, a pretty modern chandelier/ceiling light with personality to replace the fluorescent light, SS microwave, stove, and dishwasher to match the fridge.....

SS appliances, pot lights, crown molding over a short soffit so cabinets appear to go to the ceiling, cool light fixture.

San Jose Res 2 · Más información

Long handles on the cabinetry, again soffit to ceiling pot lights

St. Clements Residence · Más información

Interesting light over proposed/suggested island.
    Lake Minnetonka Tailored White Kitchen · Más información

The kitchen needs to be finished before you will feel comfortable in it; items are not relating to each other because you do not have enough items in the kitchen.......when you do have all the elements it will look 'finished' because it will be.

• lindastein
    hace 6 años

Following ... Looks great already!

• terra_marcarelli
    hace 6 años
    It needs stainless steel appliances. An island with an accent color would look amazing too if it’s in the budget, but to start get rid of the black appliances.
  • rockybird
    hace 6 años

It’s looking amazing! I cant wait to see more updated pics. I think the only reason you didn’t like it is that it was unfinished. I’m not convinced you need to switch out the hardware, but I’m not a professional. It’s going to look spectacular when you get the lighting and island in!

BTW, I love the floor!

• kulrn
    hace 6 años

Agree, the changes look great! The backsplash will finish it off. Susan posted some pretty ones!

• katinparadise
    hace 6 años

You can buy a stainless panel to attach to your dishwasher if you don't have it in the budget to switch it out right now. Your stove has black on top so the black control panel won't stand out if you add a stainless panel to the front.

• AC LB
    hace 6 años
    I think your kitchen and floors are beautiful! I would replace your appliances with stainless steel ones.
  • Cheryl Duncan
    hace 6 años

it just needs to be completed! If you can, buy the refridgerator surround cabinet. I would replace the ceiling light. Add an island for color. You can get them on Wayfair! Good luck!

• emlouhall
    hace 6 años

The appliances make a huge difference, we had a fridge that wasn't enclosed and right in the middle of the layout, so hard to work with. Our kitchen had a big open space like yours, we used an ikea island and it was great until we could put a permanent one in. I agree with others on trying to frame the fridge in and getting all ss appliances. Getting rid of the popcorn ceiling, adding some lighting, switching out hardware. Maybe eventually switching out some upper cabinet doors for mullion glass ones? You're so far ahead of most folks! It just takes time pulling it all together. I agree with folks that SW sea salt is a great color, not my first choice for a kitchen, we used it for our master bath and it's very serene. Best of luck!

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.