Houzz Logo Print
normanne_gibson

Do you want to see pix of CRACKED NEOLITH?

Poppy Potter
hace 6 años
Fair warning to anyone considering Neolith...I, too, was excited about all of the supposed benefits of this product and spent a lot of time researching what material to use. I absolutely 100% regret the choice of Neolith. It has been a complete nightmare. Many slabs broke just during the transport of the product including those transported and moved by Neolith distributors. That caused huge delays in getting the product fabricated and installed. Then several more slabs broke on the fabricator's table causing more delay and stress. Neolith distributor oversaw the fabrication of the material and trained the installer. Less than one week after installation with ZERO USE or anyone even touching it, we noticed cracking in several places. There is NO REPAIRING this product. It must be completely ripped out and replaced. Neolith, The Size, the distributor, and the fabricator/installer are all blaming each other and saying they each have no responsibility for fixing this project. The fight has been going on for more than a year now with each party pointing the finger at someone else, and I, the customer, who paid thousands of dollars for the project is stuck in the middle having to file law suits just to even get my money back, let alone pay the increased expense of having this failure ripped out and redone...and how on earth could I reinstall this same product after such a terrible experience? The manufacturer will say they will "replace" the product itself but that does not begin to cover the huge expense and time of ripping out and redoing the whole project, nor does it guarantee that the same thing won't happen again. You will continually see the manufacturer say they stand behind the product IF their installation manual is followed and the fabricator is trained, etc...,but RED FLAG warning everyone...that is their legal loophole for providing no guarantee except for possibly replacing the actual product. That is the least expensive part of these fiascos. The distributor will have a similar loophole in their guarantee and the installer/fabricator will blame the product. All in all, it is NOT WORTH IT. Stay away from this mess. Below are pix of the numerous cracks and the seams separate over time making this look even worse. I am only not mentioning specific names of the distributor and fabricator/installer because we are in the middle of legal proceedings. But they are on these threads constantly trying to sell this product. We can not even move on to replacing this mess until the legal aspect has concluded. Save yourself a lot of heartache and use something else. And wish me luck that someone will take responsibility for this failure. Houzz only lets me post four pix but there are many more cracks and separated seams. Don't believe the excuses you will hear from the people making money on all aspects of these projects.

Comentarios (165)

• Shannon Dyson
    hace 4 años

I hear ya! So frustrating since it's such a huge investment! I read in one of the posts that Barkeepers Friend will take out the stains. You could only use on the honed or silk of course since it would scratch the polished. Seems like all of the slabs have some sort of cons....quartz is fake looking and you can't set hot pans on it (seems crazy to put this in a kitchen), granite can stain too and I can't find any with big veining (Alpinus or Patagonia is really interesting - very bold choice though), marble (my absolute fav) stains and etches, quartzite is limited in color and no really white backgrounds. Since they all have problems, I wonder if I should just go with my love, marble. Sigh!

hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

Shannon Dyson, we went through that same weigh-the-cons with different materials about four years ago and decided on silk Neolith Calacatta. There was only one Calacatta available at the time, but I've seen that they keep bringing out more designs and now I'm tempted to go to a stoyeyard just to look. :)

We're 95% really happy with it, the only con being that the mitered edge is sharp and we've taken a couple of small chips out of it. They've been fixed, but I can still see them since I know where they are. There were some strange, very even marks on the surface too (manufacture, transport or fabrication?) and they had to come back and buff those off which changed the sheen in a couple of spots, but that seems to have gone away over time as I can't find them now. The 95% happy part: it doesn't look fake like quartz does, and I'm SO GLAD that it doesn't stain and is easy to clean. We're not particularly careful, so there's regularly coffee, wine bottle rings, olive oil, smushed berries, beet skins, lemon juice, and dregs of lots of other staining and etching stuff that gets on it, and what doesn't wipe right up comes out with BKF. I can't speak for everyone (of course), but I'm happy with our Neolith and would for sure consider if we were moving or remodeling again.

• lucky998877
    hace 4 años

Shannon, I also spent a good time going back and forth on what is the right fit for our future kitchen. My Alpinus countertops should be installed in late June / early July. Yes, it was a very bold choice of granite, but seriously I was so drawn to those slabs that once I found them, nothing else compared in person.

• Aglitter
    hace 4 años

@Shannon Dyson If your first love is marble and next choice Neolith, I would go for marble since the pros and cons somewhat even out between the two surfaces in my opinion. Marble is a lifestyle choice due to being a little extra careful with it, but so many people just love it. If you take care of it right, it can be amazing. Also look into a Stoneguard coating that would make marble bulletproof. Even without Stoneguard, you can do regular sealing and occasional resurfacing and have yourself a magnificent kitchen with real marble. Some marbles are more durable than others, particularly the marbles with a higher dolomite content like Danby.

• Shannon Dyson
    hace 4 años

lucky998877 PLEASE! post pics when you get them installed. I would love to see them!!! They are so striking and unique! Probably no one else in your neighborhood will have them.

• Shannon Dyson
    hace 4 años

AvataWalt I seriously appreciate you responding!! Not many people come back to tell their story after a few years of use. I think the chipping would be ok with me. I've dealt with quartz chipping - big chips too! And you're right, once the chip is fixed, only you know it's there. I love to hear about your countertops not staining as my husband is the cook and a BBQ master so there is BBQ sauce everywhere! Lol! Your experience is swaying me!!! :)

• Shannon Dyson
    hace 4 años

Belaria Great advice on the Stoneguard!! I just watched the youtube video and it's pretty incredible. I think the marble slabs and fabrication is better priced than Neolith as well. I'm going to research prices on Stoneguard. Decision, decisions!

• Aglitter
    hace 4 años

@Shannon Dyson A lot of people with marble use trays for heavy work to protect the surface. You could lay out a countertop covering for the barbecue work and then stow it away when not in use. Something large like a Silpat comes to mind, but you could also use a large butcher block for that or inset an end-grain butcher block somewhere in the design for heavier work. Stoneguard runs about $25.00 per square foot. It's not cheap, but it works. The one drawback with Stoneguard is that it reduces the temperature resistance of the countertop, so you need to keep hot pots away from it. It can also look a little plasticy. Don't be afraid of real marble with a regular liquid sealant and occasional resurfacing. And also educate the family on keeping stain-producing things on trays or wiped up immediately.

hace 4 años

Shannon, you could probably get samples of different materials and give them a try with barbecue sauce. I did that with Neolith (no barbecue though--I didn't think of it!): Neolith Torture. Not to make it sound like we're total slobs, but I'm happy with not having to clean up immediately. If I leave stuff for a bit, a green scrubby will usually work, and, if not BKF has never failed. Part of me does pine for marble since it's natural and unique and beautiful, but, as you said, every material has it's pros and cons.

• M
    hace 4 años

We originally planned on getting Neolith, but at the last minute pulled the rip cord and revised that decision. We now have stainless steel countertops and are very happy with the decision. Works beautifully for the overall design.

If that is too modern for you, then a more traditional natural material is soapstone. It handles abuse much better than almost any other stone. But it is a "living" surface. It will show that it is being used. In that way, it is similar to our stainless surfaces.

• Vic Bab
    hace 3 años

I’ve had mine installed for a month. Love it.

• agk2003
    hace 3 años

vic bab that looks great. can i ask what brand of cabinets you chose? my sister is doing a reno and looking for inset cabinets.

• Vic Bab
    hace 3 años

Fieldstone Charlene

• laurabuster
    hace 3 años

Vic Bab, which neolith is this? Thanks!

• Vic Bab
    hace 3 años

Neolith Calacatta honed

• wilson853
    hace 3 años

@Vic Bab, That is stunning!

• Vic Bab
    hace 3 años

Thank you!

• Aaron Wilson
    hace 3 años

These reviews and conversations definitely have me staying away from Neolith/Dekton countertops. I'm thinking of going with Azerocnlean marble instead. The Azerocare treatment is supposed to reduce the etching and staining on the marble significantly.

https://www.antolini.com/en/azerocare

• vinmarks
    hace 3 años

Aaron Wilson better do your homework. Theres been many people dissatisfied with Azerocare. Read through this entire thread:

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5295365/azerocare-sealer-on-countertops-any-experience-or-feedback#n=173

• Aglitter
    hace 3 años

@Aaron Wilson Stoneguard is a better choice than Azerocare if you want a protective coating.

• Monica P
    hace 3 años

I am sad to have to join the conversation, but our Neolith countertops were to be installed this week and one shattered during fabrication. As stated above, getting warranty support failed immediately, with Neolith declining any responsibility for their product. I add my voice to those who have not yet made a purchase -stay away from this product.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 3 años

Monica:

Without knowing the circumstances, it is impossible to say if the Neolith shattered spontaneously or through fabricator error.

• Monica P
    hace 3 años

The Neolith rep came out to check the fabricators settings before the cutting commenced. It was a certified installer. Just visited other slab yards this weekend and saw their Neolith marked down steeply and learned of similar stories.

• PRO
    Olive Mill
    hace 3 años

Monica, Just to better understand, the fabricator broke the slab during fabrication. How would that impact you besides a small delay? I would assume they would get a new slab and finish fabrication followed by installation. This has happened to us numerous times and there is really no reason to talk to the customer unless the material is purchased by the customer rather than the fabricator.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 3 años

Andy, good to see you here.

Sintered fabricators need to buy, comprehend, and follow Roberto Colonatti's recently published fabrication manual. He's the best in the world.

• ljhauson
    hace 3 años

Just talked to installer for a Neolith install and they said we have to pay for 2 extra slabs in case one cracks. Is this my responsibility? I asked what if they don't crack and he said I have 2 slabs to keep. ??! I this normal?

• Vic Bab
    hace 3 años

No, that is bizarre. I paid for exactly what I needed for my kitchen. Go get it from a different reputable place.

• Aglitter
    hace 3 años

The slab retailer Allure Natural Stone in Dallas, Texas, sells insurance on porcelain and some of its other more fragile slabs. That way, if it is destroyed during fabrication, transportation or installation, you do have some recourse without having to had purchased excess material at the outset.

• PRO
    Olive Mill
    hace 3 años

Are you purchasing the slabs yourself or is the fabricator/installer buying them?

• ivygray
    hace 3 años

Hello everyone. We have just had a neolith worktop and sink installed in our kitchen. After using the sink a handful of times a big chip on the edge of the sink broke off - the rest of the edge looks vulnerable to further chipping as it is looking scraggy. Neolith have put the blame on us saying something must have impacted with the edge - it didn't. Wish i had read the above posts before installing. Had it installed partly due to it's purported durability.

• Aglitter
    hace 3 años

@ivygray Maybe @Joseph Corlett, LLC can advise you on replacing just the sink. Post a photo of the situation if you would like more help, please.

• ivygray
    hace 3 años

Only have this one picture and we are not there at the moment. Any advise welcomed. Many thanks

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 3 años

iveygray:

It may be possible to replace your sink with something larger. If so, that would eliminate the chips. Pictures please.

• Aglitter
    hace 3 años

@ivygray Your picture didn't post. Please try again and wait until the picture turns from a lighter or gray color to full color before you hit submit. Thanks.

• ivygray
    hace 3 años

• Aglitter
    hace 3 años

When you are able, we will need more photos of the place where that chip came from to truly advise. Also, please provide a full view of the entire sink and surrounding cabinetry so Joseph can see how it is all installed. It is possible as he said for you to get a larger stainless steel sink to install and cut back the damaged edges.

• rsiservices
    hace 3 años

Never waste your time, energy, or money on this product. We installed it in our home a few years ago and the wasted so many slabs as they kept breaking despite following their recommended handling and installation procedures. We go no support from the manufacturer or the distributor. Now, a few years later the product is popping of the floors and walls and cracking.

• Prec Bor
    hace 2 años
    Última modificación: hace 2 años

But this countertop neolith is very thin which i think should not be the right size for countertop! this size is for backsplash and not for countertop.i spent 10K euro for this but surely the countertop is thicker.. please note! never ever install it yourself! you need to

hire a professional installer that will give you a guarantee of repair in case they damage during installation. the kitchen also is not perfect siZe in every angle to buy it like ”DIY” installation. requires professional people as this not cost peanut! it is expensive than marble (in my country)..

lastly never ever buy Neolith that is polished/glass like.. they are many disadvantages. take Silk instead.

i also recommend Over The top Sink/basin instead of Under the Top.. reason behind this; the Under the top got the neolith exposure to ”bang” of dishes, plates, cooking pans during washing.

• K. Haikal
    el último año
    Última modificación: el último año

We installed 6mm neolith on walls and floors of our primary bathroom. We have not even moved in yet and it is already cracked. Nothing was dropped on it, these cracks have come from the corners. We spent $60k on the installation/materials and have to replace it all. Now comes the lawsuits. DO NOT BUY NEOLITH.

• beth09
    el último año

K.H, so very sorry to hear this. Thank you though, for voicing your experience. No doubt you will help someone else. Hope you get adequate compensation.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    el último año

K.H.:

I'm betting on fabrication/installation error in your situation.

• cindybeale
    el último año

Vic Bab do you mind sharing what color white cabinets you used with yours? so pretty!

• Jennifer Scheumann
    el último año
    Última modificación: el último año

Poppy can I get your contact info to talk to you about this? We got Neolith countertop for our kitchen and it has chipped in multiple places and I am so unhappy about our choice. I would love to see if there was resolution to your case and if you have a contact for me at Neolith? Thanks!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    el último año

Jennifer:

Post a picture of your chips please.

• Rick M
    el último año

Sad to see so many negative comments. Was very excited about ordering neolith for backsplash but looks to be a disaster.

Tough.

Would you still do it only for the kitchen backsplash ?

We will do Ceasprstone for counters. So that should be reliable?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    el último año

It would be less likely to chip and crack as a backsplash than as a countertop. Caesarstone doesn't get rave reviews here, but it's the same stuff as all the other engineered stones.

• Joanna Espinosa
    hace 9 meses

I imagine as a custom table top this would be a disaster?

We’re considering using this as a table top for a pedastal base. thoughts?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 9 meses

Joanna:

It depends upon how the table is constructed. This stuff needs a substrate bonded to the bottom. Figure out the details and you'll probably be fine. Send for Roberto Colonatti's fabrication manual please.

• rjoriginals
    el último mes

Do NOT buy this product! It’s beautiful but HORRIBLE quality and cracks just sitting there with no use (dangerous cracks that can cut you like broken glass) and chips with the tiniest pump of a cup or anything. It’s expensive and does not live up to anything they advertise. Not sure how they can falsely advertise a product as being so durable when it’s, in fact, the least durable countertop I’ve ever encountered—real or manmade. I’m not sure why they don’t fix this product and make it with more ground stone and epoxy/binders than glass. Who makes glass countertops and thinks it’s a good idea? See photos.

• M
    el último mes

It's ceramic not quartz.

There is no resin or epoxy in any of it. Think of it as a ceramic tile -- only, unlike regular floor tiles, this one is quite oversized. And just as with floor tiles, where the manufacturer can choose different processes and different raw materials, there is some amount of skill and decision making that goes into making ceramic countertops.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.