Houzz Logo Print
kadams1010

best way for lazy girl to change this to black

kadams1010
hace 6 años
I’m really hoping someone will be able to advise the easiest way to change the cream on this unit to black (I will keep the oak top the same). I have 2 options that I’ve been looking into.
Option 1. No prep or sanding using Zinisser BIN primer then will paint with a normal black eggshell paint. Or is it option 2, better to use chalk paint in a black then seal with a Matt /low sheen varnish. I don’t want to a shabby chic look I like it to look a solid colour just black instead of the cream. I really don’t wish to sand (this is key lol).
I’m so not sure which is the best way!

Comentarios (17)

• Marie
    hace 6 años
    Take a look at the Frenchic chalk paint brand, it's really easy to use. For ideas check out the Frenchic Fan Forum on facebook
  • Juliet Docherty
    hace 6 años

I would do a quick rub down, clean, zinsser and then paint. Zinsser is brilliant stuff, although it ruins the brush you paint it on with.

• kikiamack
    hace 6 años
    Check out Fusion Mineral Paint as well. There are lots of tutorial videos on their website. Whilst you say you want to avoid sanding, sometimes a quick keying up of the surface will save time in the long run.
  • Juliet Docherty
    hace 6 años

I wouldn't cut corners. I didn't sand my dining room table base and it's chipping off. Always sand, even if it says it's not necessary.

• PRO
    User
    hace 6 años

I don't think you need the primer, it's a painted sealed surface. Use Satinwood paint straight over the top, not eggshell, not hard wearing enough.

Don't go near chalk paint ( that's another discussion )

• kadams1010
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Thanks everyone for your advice, I’ve been googling all the suggestions. The cream section of my unit was a farrow and ball paint (I’m assuming eggshell as it has a very low sheen). Can I paint straight over this with another eggshell/ satinwood without primer? I didn’t want anything too shiny but I don’t like the dry chalk look either.
  • PRO
    User
    hace 6 años

As I said above, no you don't need the primer, it's already painted. Go straight over the top with two coats of satinwood. You would get a better finish with a small gloss roller.

Take the doors off and lay them flat, remove all handles and away you go.

• PRO
    Mi Decor
    hace 6 años
    Conatct local master painter and he could spray that unit to any colour - fine and bespoke finish to any sheen level ;)
  • kadams1010
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Thanks good tip re the gloss roller, I’m hoping to make a start this weekend and will post results in due course.
  • kadams1010
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Help please with the paint finish.....
    I used a fine grade sandpaper and lightly sanded the cream paint then added first coat of farrow and ball estate eggshell paint. I used a roller (gloss roller) and unfortunately some sections dried a little bubbled, must be that I put too much on roller. So I can lightly sand this and hopefully won’t be a problem. However on my other surfaces I rolled it on and as I was paranoid about putting too much I worked it in with the brush till it was almost dried. Now I have a patchy look but it is patchy due to finish (all uniformed colour but patchy with shine if that makes sense! Please see pictures to see what I mean. Should I
    Lightly sand the whole thing and just use the paint brush for next coat or can I just use the paint brush for second coat but don’t work it in till it’s almost dry? What am I doing wrong? Thanks
  • rachelmidlands
    hace 6 años
    Hi there, not sure if you’ve made any progress but hope I can help. Did you use a foam gloss roller or fluffy one? Only asking because I had the same patchy effect when painting downstairs loo with foam roller. Also can depend on the paint used. With water based paints such as the F&B eggshell I think it can show up bubbling more than the oil based ones. For your cabinet I suggest lightly sanding the rough patches and just go for the paintbrush. Work the the paint while it’s wet. Load up the brush so it’s got enough paint to spread around but not dribbling. Don’t work in the paint when it’s drying as this can create a dragging effect and more patchiness so if you’re working close to a radiator or heat source you need to work quickly. Personally I prefer using a fluffy roller for larger surfaces but I think a paintbrush will be just fine. Planning on a similar project myself in the near future using car enamel paint which I imagine is extra gloopy (we’ll see how that goes:)) Hope all goes well. X
  • Emmanuelle
    hace 6 años
    By experience, I would not re- work paint when it is drying. Paint, then, leave that patch! Also, if your paint is not properly mixed up, it will be patchy, especially with eggshell/ satin!
    Finally, I would do a fine sanding between coats to give more grip; because your paint is dark and it’s light underneath, the slightest chip will show! The best painted furniture I have done was when I sanded the furniture as much as I could, to bare wood is the best of course, but lots of elbow grease needed!
  • supermidwife
    hace 6 años

Did you use brush or roller and which type ? Looks fabulous by the way

• PRO
    User
    hace 6 años

Looks bloody brilliant...................well done you.

• kadams1010
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    I used a foam gloss roller for the first coat and I did have to sand afterwards as it came out with a few bubbles somehow. But I only sanded lightly which took them away without removing the paint. The final 2 coats were done with a farrow and ball paintbrush that was £9. So my cost to do this. Project was £9 paint brush, £34 paint and £1.49 for fine grain sanding block. Man about the house saved me £20 advising that I didn’t need the primer. Yay.
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    hace 6 años
    Yay !!! ;-)
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.