Houzz Logo Print
sbcbc

Please help me with inspiration for a small dark patio

Suzanne C
hace 6 años

We have recently renovated part of the house and put a granny flat to the front of the house and we rent this part out but the outside looks awful! I desperate for inspiration to make it look pretty as well as functional and low maintenance.

There are large leylandii trees on the left that as tall as the house, but they are the neighbours trees and they give us privacy and a good border.

We are thinking of cutting these tree trees to give us more light into the main house.

We already have Indian sandstone patio stones around the rest of the house and were hoping to lay these on the ground - similar to this picture

Sketch - uploaded photo - 1517393702311 · Más información

I have thought about slatted fencing along the trees and maybe some bamboo plants and bench seating over the brick wall. I would like to keep the brick wall, however, its not straight so considering putting wood cladding over it or making it wider and rendering it.

There is a separation between the main house and the flat where the little bench is. Somewhere I would like to put 2 wheelie bins where the bench is so we can share the recycling and main rubbish bins. Something like this:

We think we may put a wooden gate into the arch rather than this metal one.

Please help me find some inspiration!
Suzanne

Comentarios (15)

• PRO
    Lumen Designers Limited
    hace 6 años

You don't have a lot of width so uplighting won't bounce the light around enough in your space - so you will need a downward light element or a horizontal element I suggest low profile slim exterior fittings like these from Orion.co.at, an Austrian company that ships to the UK and not normally available online:

These will blend into the background and yet give off a nice light.

For architectural I would recommend these, they are adjustable both top and bottom independently so you can tailor the light to your requirements for lighting up and down the walls:

Suzanne C agradeció a Lumen Designers Limited
  • PRO
    User
    hace 6 años

What a lovely space.

I think with some nice pale neutral stone on the patio area to lift the light levels it will look great.

You may not get much to grow in the bed revealed by the cutting back of the Leylandi, they suck moisture out of the ground like no tomorrow.

If you are thinking that you may like to cover up the wall, which, isn't strictly necessary, but a good idea. You could go a little further up to include planters with richer more fertile soil. Just have low and medium growing plants so that they don't close the space in again.

I guess what i'm trying to explain, is that you would go in front of the wall, up and over the top, then build planters.

Shutter fencing is great, it gives the illusion of privacy without blocking all light, although, personally i like the trees.

This is me putting in a half shutter fence made from reclaimed timber.

Suzanne C agradeció a User
  • Juliet Docherty
    hace 6 años

I would put slabs down that will not get too dirty such as the new vitrified porcelain ones. I think slate is also good for repelling algae etc - thats why old slate roofs always look cleaner than concrete roof tiles.

Suzanne C agradeció a Juliet Docherty
  • Suzanne C
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thank you Lumen designers for your lovely lights, I shall be putting extra lights once I figure out the layout if I can incorporate some seating design. Thank you!

• Suzanne C
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Hi Man about the house, yes the Leylandii trees have very dry soil around them, although at the front of the house, there are a number of bushes that have survived, and I am constantly taking out weeds in this area so fingers crossed I can plant something hardy.

I like your idea of installing planters in the wall / seating area to create a richer soil base! Do you think I could create a seating area on the edge of the wall in such a small space? The space from the wall to the edge of the wall which houses the gate is 1070mm. Or the measurement is from the wall to the house is 2208mm.

Something like this?

• Suzanne C
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Hi Colourhappy, thank you for the suggestion of slate, it would certainly be easier to clean, however, I have already bought the sawn sandstone that matches the rest of the house. It looks like I shall have to clean it more often!

• Juliet Docherty
    hace 6 años

You could seal it, that may help to reduce the dirt build up. Love the cat.

• PRO
    User
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

I think you can get seating in there, after all you already have a bench, that fits.

Just needs a bit of careful planning.

Re the sandstone:- We have Indian Sandstone right the way around our house. Despite sealing several times, nothing prevents the algae from coming back. We have to jet wash at least twice a year, and on the paths that we use the most, we quite often throw buckets of bleach out and have a quick scrub in the winter as it's really quite slippery. You live and learn. It looks beautiful, but it's truly awful to keep clean.

• PRO
    Decóra Cement
    hace 6 años

Hello! Nice to try to help you dear!

What about concrete ?

Decora Cement is a London based family business dedicated to the manufacture, supply and installation of high quality decorative Eco Porcelanic Microcement.

Our factory and manufacturing systems controls all the development process of our products, to provide the highest quality in all.

We offer full personal and professional service, supporting you from the beginning of your project throughout the installation of our Microcement.

Decora Microcement is a modern and extremely versatile decorative finish that can be applied to almost any surface: floors, walls, furniture (interior & exterior), and its coatings are ideal for reforms, new constructions and renovation of living or working areas.

We have the most advanced system to install our products: Decora NanoTech, which offers Antimicrobial and Anti-fungal properties, Water Resistant, Fire Retardant, UV & Corrosion resistance as well as enhanced flexural and compressive strength.

Our Microcement is the perfect finish for almost any area where style and hygiene are paramount. As the interest and popularity of microcement has rapidly started to grow in the UK, it's quickly becoming a modern alternative to both tiling and hard wood flooring.

Our product stands out from regular Microcement available on the market due to its

exclusive formula that contains nano material additives which are 1000 times finer than Microcement particules, and are capable of offering protection in crevices with sizes bellow the micro-scale, to further limit penetration of agents of degradation.

Decora Microcement is also flexible and its application builds up a very thin layer (max. 3mm). This new generation of Microcement turns to be extremely efficient once its special installation system developed by Decora Cement minimize porosity and cracks.

Microcement has become a very well-known product and selected by architects, decorators, contractors, building and constructions agencies due to its high possibility coatings and customized finishes.

OUR COLOUR CHART :

Decora Cement Colour Chart.pdf

Uniqueness and advantages:

Its workability is excellent on any surfaces and also becomes pore less.

It’s 100% water resistant.

Fire Retardant.

Flexible.

3mm tickness

Antimicrobial & Anti-fungal properties.

High resistance to rubbing and wear.

Stable against ultraviolet rays.

Corrosion resistance.

High mechanical resistance.

Non slip.

Does not generate bubbles.

Protected to prevent efflorescence of lime.

Wide range of colours.

Easy to customize.

No need to remove existing material.

Easy maintenance.

Suitable for any indoor and outdoor surface.

Seamless look.

We offer a wide range of products with different textures and looks, that can be done in different colours and you can also choose the finishing of your preference between matt, satin or gloss or even metallic glazes.

Please feel free to visit our showroom where you can see large applications of our different range of products, so you can have a better idea of the final look.

If you would like to receive a free estimate for your current project please send us the measurements of the surfaces you would like with our range of Decora Microcements.

You can find our online catalogue and more information on our website: www.decoracement.com

If you have any further enquiry, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Her eyou have some pictures for your inspiration with your dark patio!

I think a grey light colour and cut the trees will transform that patio at all!

Have a look!

This one of our projects in exterior! Looks really nice ! (Can be applkied in floor and walls , interior and exterior )

Here you can see another diferent exterior finish for you patio walls!

Another of our latest projects ! Maybe a little fountain will make your patio look full of live !

Suzanne C agradeció a Decóra Cement
  • Suzanne C
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Man about the house - yes I agree, it can be difficult to keep clean, we shall continue the jet wash around to this side. However when it is clean, it does look beautiful!

I hope I can squeeze in a table into this space too!

• Suzanne C
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thank you Decora cement, its certainly an option for the walls, however, I already have bought the sandstone patio stones as they match the rest of the house. A water fountain is interesting...although if there is not much light, I think the water will go green quickly too! We couldn't have any chemicals in there as we have pets that appear to drink any running or stagnant outdoor water!

• bagpuss2
    hace 6 años
    I love the cat too. How about a fence along the line of the trees with downlighters? Before you the-surface the path, power wash it first to see how it comes up? If it’s still hideous look for paving that isn’t slippy.
  • verdigrisjane
    hace 6 años
    Are you planning to plant bamboo under/next to the Leylandii? The Leylandii will be taking all the moisture from the soil and make the area shady. Bamboo will not like these conditions. Why not try woodland planting and include ferns suitable for dry shade and euphorbia?
  • PRO
    SUN STUDIO.London - Glassworks and Prints
    hace 6 años

Hello sbcbc,

Recently we've made this kind of toughened, backlit glass to cover our customer's patio. We are capable to make it wider so it could cover your patio over its all surface.

Backlit glass · Más información

If you are interested, let me know. We will do free visualization design in one day (Yes, for free, no hooks!).

Have a nice day!

Erwin/sunstudio.london

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.