Houzz Logo Print
webuser_71660

how to create an Industrial themed kitchen

Tani H-S
hace 6 años
I really need some help creating a more interesting room for an extension we want building. Not done the plans as yet but i really don't want a big white box and prefer something with more character. I know that's hard to achieve from a new extension without an endless budget though.

The room I think will be a flat or slight sloping tiled roof with roof lights (or possible lanterns if it's flat?) we have fairly high ceilings as a 30's bungalow.

Kitchen one end, dining the other and a lounge on the L shape in an original room.

- Started another thread about critall style windows (can't afford the real thing!!) as I think that might help rather than having bifold or sliding doors but the cost will be the deciding factor.

- Also researching the brick slips to have on the one kitchen wall as I want to avoid the wall cabinets if I can and just have some shelving.

- Anything else we can do with the ceiling/structure to make it a bit less bland and add character??

Photos ive attached are examples of what I like but we don't have the hight to do these

Comentarios (21)

• Tani H-S
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    These are some sketch plans I've been playing around with (ignore the furniture! Lol)

Not sure which side we are having the kitchen as depends if we can do the extra utility room off it (ie where it is on the plan now or if we will use the proposed bathroom (which is currently an office))

Gives you an idea of the size/layout. If we go out where our kitchen is already (narrow extension) then it will be about 12ft deep by about 27'
  • PRO
    J.N.Rusticus
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Hi tani, We offer a range of products to create the industrial designs/feel I have attached a few products to offer you some inspiration. Good Luck with your project :) https://www.jnrusticus.com

• Juliet Docherty
    hace 6 años

Hello Tani. I would narrow down some basic components of what the look is you are after and not worry too much about not having high ceilings. Warm brick and pale wood look fabulous offset against the more brutal cool concrete and black/charcoal, you can't go wrong with this combination. You could consider clading the ceiling with soap washed wood, to add character - a lot of work though.The last image here I think is industrial perfection - down to the clever combination of materials.

The Brighton Escape · Más información

New SW18 house · Más información

London W8 · Más información

• Tani H-S
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Thank you. @colourhappy - do you think a panelled roof section of wood would work over the kitchen area rather than across the whole ceiling?

I'm not really sure what will work in the new section tbh. The house is not something that's synonymous with the industrial style so I don't want to overdo it and for it to look like it's 'not finished'

I was thinking that perhaps having black support steels (are these powder coated or painted afterwards??) to create interest and frame the kitchen might work (instead of hiding them in the ceiling and plastering over?
  • Juliet Docherty
    hace 6 años

Hi Tani, it could work is there was a separating support of a change of level. I agree and would avoid it looking too 'hardcore'. Black beams could look really good like in the picture above. I would start collating information about materials so you have all of that ready to decide on nearer the time. One thing alot of these spaces have in common is polished concrete floors, that could be worth looking into, although there are now so many large format tiles that give a similar look. The biggest obstacle I found when doing my kitchen was the generic look of almost all affordable kitchens was so depressing.

• 1shanson
    hace 6 años
    How about panelling the ceiling just above your run of base units plus another metre out. You could come down to the height of your tall larder cupboard so you get rid of any dust gathering gap. You could then add some great task lighting to the panelling.
  • PRO
    The Lighting Company
    hace 6 años

Lots of Industrial inspiration on our website Lighting Company. We'd love to help!

• Tani H-S
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    @1shanson - do you mean like the panels when they hide the extractor fan?
  • Tani H-S
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    @colourhappy - I know re the kitchens
    I wanted to pick up some vintage pieces but then I miss out on the amazing drawers and other fancy bits I would really love in the kitchen.
    Went to a fancy showroom last week and the kitchens are beautiful but I think they would start from around £25k and I'm thinking more like £10k max for ours!
  • Ellie
    hace 6 años

@colourhappy can we see any pics, please!

• Tani H-S
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    I wanted to paint mine in a dark black/blue originally on wood but I was advised that wood is hard to have in a kitchen as it expands/contracts and requires too much maintenance. Only other option is the veneered doors but it means I have to choose something I'm going to like for the next 10-15 years
    Will def look at IKEA for options though
  • Tani H-S
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Ps flooring wise - I'm not a tile person for living areas and prefer wood although polished concrete looks amazing. Plus we have dogs and I think they might wear it down easily
  • Juliet Docherty
    hace 6 años

The other option I looked at was ikea carcasses and then bespoke doors, end panels and drawers fronts in formica birch ply which I think is going to be massive in the next few years. I found a company that can fabricate formica onto birch ply very reasonably, so that was an option. That was when we were going to have wooden floors, getting a wooden kitchen meant we used tiled floors (as double wood is tricky). Google, birch ply formica kitchens, there are some lovely ones out there.

• 1shanson
    hace 6 años
    Hi Tani. By panels, I just meant a suspended wooden planked ceiling the full length of your base units, edged in perhaps a mock beam in either your dark unit colour or a contrasting grey. Sorry for not explaining sufficiently. It would also conceal the ducting for your hob fan. P S I've had solid Canadian Oak units in my kitchen for over 30 years and they still look good - never budged and just need a light sand and a spray of varnish (or that could be paint) every few years.
  • 1shanson
    hace 6 años
    Found this picture Tani to demonstrate the wood - it just wouldn't be on a slope. I think thin slats of wood, spaced to reveal a glimpse of dark background could look great.
  • PRO
    Angell Welding & Fabrications
    hace 6 años

Hi Tani,

If you need any bespoke metal work for the Kitchen, to create the industrial effect we'd be happy to look into this. (including work surfaces, steels, custom railings etc. as seen in idea pictures). We do both commercial and residential projects for this look

Feel free to browse our Houzz projects to get an idea.

info@angellwelding.co.uk

Thanks,

Elliot

• PRO
    SUN STUDIO.London - Glassworks and Prints
    hace 6 años

Hi Tani,

In case you would like to put some splashbacks in the kitchen, we can design one for you for free if you would like to buy it. It really depends on how much you want your kitchen to be industrial themed.

• PRO
    Designer-Walls & More
    hace 6 años

Hi, have a look at my portfolio, either on HOUZZ or my web www.designer-walls.co.uk

• PRO
    GEC Anderson Limited
    hace 6 años

Here is a recent example of stainless steel units from GEC Anderson

Covent Garden · Más información

• PRO
    SUN STUDIO.London - Glassworks and Prints
    hace 6 años
    Did you think about metal splashback and concrete or glass Worktop?
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.