Houzz Logo Print
liliuano13

Need help redesigning foyer stone planters along stairs

liliuano13
hace 6 años
última modificación:hace 6 años

Our home is full of this white stone from the 60s. While it's a nice feature, there's too much of it so we are planning to get rid of some of it now that we are redoing our foyer. The right wall of the foyer is covered with it and the steps leading up to the living room are bordered by a wall of stone to the right, and two stone planters on the left. Looking for ideas on how to redesign the planters to get rid of the stone but still maintain the curved staircase. Have thought about keeping planters in that spot and using a different material, like wood, but also open to other design or material ideas.

We're considering drywalling the stone walls in the foyer and bordering the steps, since we still have a full wall of the stone in the living room surrounding the fireplace. In the photos you'll see the new flooring we're putting down (unfinished) which is a dark wood-look tile (to match the rest of the home) in a herringbone pattern. We'll also be repainting the space and putting up new trim and doors. Thank you!

Comentarios (11)

• PRO
    SULAIMAN DESIGN STUDIO
    hace 6 años

Have you thought about painting stone walls instead of removing that will be budget also

• atromper
    hace 6 años
    I don't mind the stone, but find the grout color jarring. Can it be changed to a color that blends with the stone?
  • Judy Mishkin
    hace 6 años

perhaps box in the unloved planters with wood, rather than trying to remove them. 1. it prevents having to 'heal the scars' left behind, and 2. gives a subsequent owner the ability to restore them as is.

• maureen214
    hace 6 años

Love the new floor you selected and I like the way it looks with the stone wall that you have the bench on....makes the grout less jarring. It is not the least expensive option but have you considered removing the planters and widening the stairs to extend to the wall with the closet?

• Irene Morresey
    hace 6 años
    Love the white staircase with the glass or the dark staircase. I'd be tempted to paint the grout in the stone to an off white or light grey. Planters could be concreted, marble tile or sheet metal. Don't forget lighting for stairs. Lovely home
  • Irene Morresey
    hace 6 años
    Another
  • User
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Is that a marble floor you're covering up?

• dollface121817
    hace 6 años

I would maybe try a white or lighter grout first

• gtcircus
    hace 6 años
    I agree, remove the planters and rebuild the stairs so the treads go all the way across and you have bannisters on both sides. That setup is a fall hazard
  • emmarene9
    hace 6 años

Stone is an upgrade. Sheet rock is mediocre. Why would you downgrade to sheet rock?

If you can afford to rebuild the stairs then do away with the two planters. Those stairs are awkward.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.