Houzz Logo Print
sowmya_swaminathan52

cooktop in center island dilemma

Sowmya Swaminathan
hace 6 años
Hi.

Need some help with cooktop placement in a kitchen remodel. Recently bought a 30 yr old, single story house in need of remodel before we move in. for the kitchen remodel , we need to change flooring, reconfigure some cabinets, change countertops, open up a wall to living room. Basically I am tearing up a lot of things. The previous owners had a electric cooktop with a telescoping downdraft vented to outside through the floor. The sink is against the wall behind the cooktop. There are no exterior walls in the kitchen. Above is attic and shingle roof. I have never lived in a house with a cooktop in the center island. In my current home, I have a gas cooktop with a vent hood to the outside. I cook a lot, daily. It is heavy duty Indian cooking, sautéing, cooktop pressure cooker - you name it.

I have been reading a lot about cooktops with telescoping downdrafts in the center island and it has me worried.

I am concerned about safety with cooktop in island and two young Kids. The island will only be for prep and cooktop though. The wall I am breaking open will become another island with eating in overhang. So kids should generally not come to the cooktop area.

I am also concerned about lingering smells and messes from splattering. I am wondering if these downdraft cooktops are even halfway decent or if I should just move the cooktop to the wall , install a vent hood and push out through the roof. Or should I ignore / remove the downdraft and instead get a venthood over the center island and go through the roof? The cost and complicated changes give me pause. Has anyone undertaken such a project? What did it involve? Do they like the change ?

Comentarios (17)

• User
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Hire an actual KD before you do any demo. And get the cooktop off of the island. Especially if you don’t want to asphyxiate the family when you sear chilies.

Sowmya Swaminathan agradeció a User
  • DrB477
    hace 6 años

If you are doing an expensive remodel already, keeping the cooktop with a downdraft in the island would be a mistake. You should also change it to gas or induction.

Sowmya Swaminathan agradeció a DrB477
  • PRO
    Vineyard Chic Kitchens
    hace 6 años

You can find so many beautiful hoods to use, I would take this opportunity to kill two birds with one stone: Add a hood to the perimeter wall with an induction cooktop. It will be more aesthetically pleasing and more functional. Check and check.

Sowmya Swaminathan agradeció a Vineyard Chic Kitchens
  • PRO
  • Sowmya Swaminathan
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thank you all. Good advice. Will work with my designer to move things around and price it

• Toronto Veterinarian
    hace 6 años

Or you could add an island hood from the ceiling for proper ventilation if you want to keep the location of the cooktop.

• Judy Mishkin
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

i have a gas cooktop with tall telescoping downdraft in my island, and i'm satisfied with how it works... but i only cook indian food once a week. so i'd go along with a 'try to move it' view with regard to ventilation if you have high expectations.

with regard to clean up, i'd keep the cooktop in the island. the downdraft makes an easy to clean backstop... the filters easily pop out to hand wash or go in the dishwasher. you get no build up on surrounding cabinets or in grout lines of the harder-to-reach backsplash. a good scrub down of the island (which you need to do every day after dinner anyway) and i wet swiffer the floor in front of the cooktop, which you'd have to do in front of any stove after oil cooking.

so, something to be said for each way.

i like not facing the wall when i cook, thats something for you to consider.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    hace 6 años

"i like not facing the wall when i cook,"

That's the best thing about an island cook top for me too (mine is a range, not just a cook top, but the effect is the same). I love cooking on a kitchen island rather than against the wall!

• hummingalong2
    hace 6 años
    I have an island cooktop. It works fine for me, I cook Indian food occasionally. It will not handle heavy duty Indian cooking on a daily basis.
  • HoJo1
    hace 6 años

We did a major kitchen remodel in the fall of 2016 and I ended up putting the induction cooktop on the island. We put a hood over it and bumped up the ceiling a foot to match the size of the island (5'x9'). So far it has worked well.

• tonni3
    hace 6 años

I currently have my cooktop in my island and really like it. It is an electric cooktop with downdraft fan included within it. It was in the house when we purchased it in 2002. I am remodeling this year and plan to get an induction with a telescoping downdraft. I am keeping the cooktop in the island. I agree that it is nice to see my family as I cook. This has especially been the case as my children have grown up. Many breakfasts cooked while having a wonderful chat with my girls. I've never had any safety issues with it being in the island. My island is 5'x5' and we have seating on the opposite side of the cooktop. My downdraft fan works great!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 6 años

You have a single storey house so just get a regular hood and vent out the ceiling.IMO downdrafts are awful for venting period and if you can have direct vent it is the perfect answer.

• Sowmya Swaminathan
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Thank you all for the comments. We, for now, have tabled the decision to move the cooktop or vent from the Ceiling mainly due to cost and time considerations. Will revisit this decision after a year or two if we just can't make it work.
  • Usuario de Houzz-4497845
    hace 2 años

Did you ever make this change? curious about how well it worked for you to keep the cooktop on the island

• Sowmya Swaminathan
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Hi - we did not end up changing the location of the cooktop - it is still in the center island. I am now used to cooking this way and don’t mind the downdraft - it has been ok with heavy cooking for the most part. The downdraft does not work well when cooking in taller pots etc. I find that I have to plan the location of pots on the cooktop. The center island location is not so much an issue as I thought it would be. I would like a ventilation hood though - something to explore in a few years time.

• J N
    hace 2 años

@Sowmya Swaminathan: Tamil speaking-daily cooking-mother of two here. Have you done the other remodeling you discussed in the original post, tearing down wall, etc? How much have spent so far on your remodeling work?

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.