Houzz Logo Print
naghm_radif

large back garden with different levels

naghm_radif
hace 6 años

Hi I have a large back garden and it is at a high level almost 4 meters height, with two levels starting from the patio . It has a large rockery wall. I am thinking of creating a new design. Any help is appreciated.

Comentarios (7)

• Ellie
    hace 6 años

Pics!! Sounds interesting. I thought my garden was steep, but height is around 1.6m and I think that is high!

naghm_radif agradeció a Ellie
  • PRO
    Peter Reader Landscapes
    hace 6 años

I would agree with Arthur Road Landscapes - levels can be tricky, but with professional help and design they can make for a very special space with different rooms and atmospheres.

naghm_radif agradeció a Peter Reader Landscapes
  • naghm_radif
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Hi All,

Thank you for your messages. I kind of have a plan in my head managed to sketch it, up to scale. I have my measurements as well. One of the levels is actually 1.6 M . What type of professional. Do you think I need a structural engineer. Few landscape designers came to have a look and exaggerated with prices, to be honest put me off.

But I am open to suggestions.

• PRO
    Peter Reader Landscapes
    hace 6 años

Hi. If one of the level changes is 1.6m then you will definitely need professional support if you are putting in walls to retain the changes in level. If it is a wall that high, then it would be usual to get a structural engineer to do the design as it will need careful calculations to ensure it can take the weight. If you thought garden designers were expensive, then hold onto your hat for the engineers fees. A good garden designer may well be able to break the level change down into more manageable heights, that only require walls of a height that they could design for you.

Obviously I don't know what the designers you had were charging, but remember it is a lot of work to design a garden, including time spent with you understanding what you want in the space, doing a detailed survey, including level changes, drawing the survey up to scale, designing the garden, drawing up the plan, doing drawings to demonstrate the design so you can visualize it, and planning the types of planting and materials for the build. It all takes time and expertise to do properly. It is equivalent to an architect for the garden.

• PRO
    Arthur Road Landscapes
    hace 6 años

It is likely you will need a structural engineer and if any of the terraces need to be rebuilt or constructed with reinforcements it will be expensive. However, you will end up with safe and attractive spaces that should add value to your home.

• PRO
    Bright Green Garden
    hace 6 años

Hello Naghm

It is best to get a garden designer to discuss your ideas with you. There are always lots of ways to approach a perceived problem and turn it into something good. Groundworks and building walls often cost more than you imagine and may need the services of a structural engineer but more likely a skilled landscaper. A good designer will advise you and make the most of any realistic budget. Your garden should be a place you love and an asset to your home.

Deb

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.