Houzz Logo Print
emily_quarmby

What to do with dark oak panelled walls?

Emily Quarmby
hace 6 años

We are renovating a house which has lovely dark oak panelling in the hallway and front room. We are wanting to modernise the whole house and are not sure what to do about the panels. Do we strip them out? paint them? or is there a way to make them look more modern?

Comentarios (11)

• Chloe Edwards
    hace 6 años
    Agree! You can make a lovely feature of it as below...with just a lick of paint... hope this helps!
    Emily Quarmby agradeció a Chloe Edwards
  • PRO
    Fusion interior design
    hace 6 años

Hi Emily,

As Dale said it would be a shame to strip out but I think I would be paint it. Carry out suitable cleaning and prep then primer and top coat, both of which may need a couple of coats. Colours would be grey, white or a blue. You have a big enough space to cope with darker shades of those colours and you are getting a lot of light from the landing.

All the best :)

Jason

Emily Quarmby agradeció a Fusion interior design
  • Emmanuelle
    hace 6 años
    Hello! I would leave them as they are! It would be a shame to paint them!
    I would just use more modern furniture, lighting... maybe a mid century ceiling light, a cream rug rather than red, an emerald velvet little armchair somewhere, a console table, quite sleek, maybe with brass legs... To me , these panelings really have an air of grandeur, elegance and charm.
    Emily Quarmby agradeció a Emmanuelle
  • PRO
    Dale Loth Architects
    hace 6 años

We've been faced with a similar dilemma recently and our client wanted to paint the oak panelling. I can understand the wish to brighten. As you can see in the submitted photos, painting the panelling can look attractive when handled well, but I don't think it makes the rooms look more modern. To me it makes the rooms look rather more 'Georgian' since after oak became scarce in the UK by the middle of the 18th Century, painted panelling became much more common. Then in the mid- to late 20th Century, painting over dark oak was seen as a way to escape from what was perceived as dark, gloomy and Victorian. I'd stick with my initial, less conventional advice, but it depends on the effect you're after.

Emily Quarmby agradeció a Dale Loth Architects
  • Resh
    hace 6 años
    Paint it - it looks great. This is ours, before and after
    Emily Quarmby agradeció a Resh
  • dorsetdor
    hace 6 años

Definitely paint. V envious!

Emily Quarmby agradeció a dorsetdor
  • Polly Putnam
    hace 6 años
    Why on earth did you buy a home with period features only to want to “modernise” them? You should have bought a new build.
  • Sonia
    hace 6 años
    Paint it. It doesn’t detract from the period feel, in fact many period house’s panelling was originally painted. It isn’t Hatfield House, which is covered in very dark panelling, so you don’t have to slavishly keep everything as it was like a museum. The examples of painted panelling above look lovely.
    Emily Quarmby agradeció a Sonia
  • Pat Auld
    hace 6 años
    I would definitely paint it and after all if you or anyone else wanted to restore it in the future it could always be stripped back to the wood.
    Emily Quarmby agradeció a Pat Auld
  • Siân Vygus Keast
    hace 6 años

I think it's beautiful as it is and it'd be ashame to paint over it.

Try dressing it with more modern furniture and a different rug, live with it for a while then if you still don't like it after a year paint it.

Also bare in mind that it's a lot easier to put paint on that it is to take it off. Also natural aged wood is easy to maintain, whereas painted wood will need touching up every few years.

Emily Quarmby agradeció a Siân Vygus Keast
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.